TotalDac D1 Seven

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
sure there is - the other way "round" is to be objective and not bias toward your product of choice.

or is there something you have to gain that's unknown?

mike, i think people are a bit tired of the constant defense from a select few lampi owners who act like they have stock and / or part ownership in the company. no one is doubting their sonic greatness especially for the $ but everyone has different taste, wants and needs. For example - not everyone wants to spend <$10k and then be expected to roll tubes for better results.

ding, ding, ding, ding..........

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
WBF Lampi lovers are a friendly and enthusiastic group. My only regret is their complete disregard or ignorance on the technical details of their DACs - I could never get a straight answer to any of the technical questions I have asked, although we all know a lot about the vintage of their tubes or metals of their cases. :)

Irrespective of the DAC (Lampi or otherwise) I think the majority don't care about technical details, mostly sonics so I can't agree with your premise. To be frank, what is there to gain from tech specs and results? My ears (and other's) could care less..

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Yep, if I had a £1 coin for every time I’m told Lampi unequivocally beats my Eera cdp, I’d be a...£37 better off LOL.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yep, if I had a £1 coin for every time I’m told Lampi unequivocally beats my Eera cdp, I’d be a...£37 better off LOL.

And if there was a pound for every time your Eera, your Transfi, your Rim drive, and your Zus were mentioned as giant killers by you, everyone on the forum would be much better off by 37 quid...LOL

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
That’s true
But I never say they’re the best, period.
Any you forgot to add Sablon to the list btw, and balanced power, and Terminator air arm etc.
Keep up!

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
it's reasonable of you to express irritation when you perceive it. you are 100% correct to do that based on your perspective. so we agree....and I was specifically not being critical of that. and your perspective is understandable. Lampi lovers can be insufferable.:rolleyes:

my comment was only relative to some sort of suggestion of orchestrated aggressive tactics. I think that is off base. it's just normal fandom.

I hear you Mike and my point is, as it relates to "Lampi Nation" as a whole, I agree; however, not so with a few individuals. Maybe its the pervasiveness across so many forums and the way its orchestrated, but it makes me scratch my head. "Normal fandom" does not come to mind.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey Paul, like various evangelical religions, the word must be promoted, and all the time it seems.
I’m guilty as charged in extolling the virtues of the brands I cherish, but
1- never do I claim my choices are de facto the only choices
2- I’m sad enough not to have an army of acolytes w me
Only JackD201 backs me up on Eera cdp, only KeithR backs me up on Zu (and he’s moved on), only AYDC backs me up on Stacore, only Blue58 backs me up on Sablon, and I’m a lone voice on Trans Fi analog and Westwick balanced power.
3- never once do I claim my choices are superior, on Stacore my current fave I’ve been adamant people must a/b v active, and not all rooms or systems might suit its attributes.
OTOH, I’ve been at a Lampi demo where even the owner was left a bit cold by his GG that day in comparison to another dac, and yet all I got from the Lampi fan present was how superior it was. A more laughable conclusion you couldn’t make up. And I went to this demo with massive expectation bias I was going to love the GG.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
We need to be a bit careful before suggesting fellow listeners are on the payroll.
It’s well known I don’t see eye to eye w Ked at all, but the most I’d ever say is his claims of Lampi superiority are borne of enthusiasm and the need to broadcast it to those who’ll listen, and also to those immune to its charms.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I hear you Mike and my point is, as it relates to "Lampi Nation" as a whole, I agree; however, not so with a few individuals. Maybe its the pervasiveness across so many forums and the way its orchestrated, but it makes me scratch my head. "Normal fandom" does not come to mind.

I guess we will just have to disagree on this one.

I think behind the curtain some here do get inside dope about upcoming Lampi changes and get involved in beta testing and such. it's hard to see beyond these type things and determine a person's motivation. over the years I've been so involved with many products with many different unrelated manufacturers like that that I see it as normal in a hobby like this. as an enthusiast it's what many of us like. actually to 'seem' to have influence on product direction. a person then 'can' become a bit of an evangelist.

but again; this type thing is not unusual in this hobby. and it's a different thing than some manufacturer consciously directing forum activity of customers. I think you are chasing shadows on that idea.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I guess we will just have to disagree on this one.

I think behind the curtain some here do get inside dope about upcoming Lampi changes and get involved in beta testing and such. it's hard to see beyond these type things and determine a person's motivation. over the years I've been so involved with many products with many different unrelated manufacturers like that that I see it as normal in a hobby like this. as an enthusiast it's what many of us like. actually to 'seem' to have influence on product direction. a person then 'can' become a bit of an evangelist.

but again; this type thing is not unusual in this hobby. and it's a different thing than some manufacturer consciously directing forum activity of customers. I think you are chasing shadows on that idea.

+1

I think fanboydom is part of it, and beta testing “converts”

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, I’ve been a beta tester on some Sablon Reserva cables, later changes on Stacore platforms, and currently a very interesting new ultrasonic lp cleaner.
I actually don’t believe this will change how I feel about these products, and how I report on them.
As with all things in life, if it’s no good, I won’t talk about it much.
However, if it IS good, well...

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Hi all,
I do not doubt it needs a thread to talk about all this somewhere, that it is obviously essential for some but why on that of Totaldac d1-seven ?
have you ever listened to it or are you interested in this amazing device ? even if I would like it for you!

I admit not to understand but it must be me, all this seems so normal for you.
and, of course, I say that from the top of my 14 posts, hihi ...when I see the number of some speakers, here !

Be well.

Iamrael

Nov 3, 2017
I guess that since I started this thread I don’t really need be worried about offending or being disrespectful to myself for not staying ON topic.

I think that one thing needs to be made clear and acknowledged by all, and that there are Shills that post on this and every other audio site and are compensated for by either accommodations of products, discounts, commissions, long term loans, upgrades, better service, etc., by manufacturers and/or dealers. This is how dealers and manufacturers get around having to disclose any affiliations. Shills are everywhere, they work alone, and in teams, but we can’t ruin our fun by not being able to share our experiences and lessons learned because of a minority population that are preying on the weak. We have to give the benefit of doubt to the individuals posting.

OTOH, when someone chimes in with a post that is so out of left field, just to mention a manufacturers name! I don’t think that it is unreasonable to question!

That being said, who would turn down a 50% discount on a piece of gear that is a hot item? Free upgrades for life simply for letting us know about their new toy(s). Well with that, I believe comes a lot of responsibility. I think that there are some that are cognizant of the impact of their postings, and others not so much. Unfortunately we need to only rely mostly on ourselves but also on the integrity of the moderators in order to weed through the bull****.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sorry, I have already addressed this - I bought the Lampi at 75 - 80%, that too from the distributor, not the dealer. I have not bought anything from him in the last three years, nor from Lampi (streamer, amps, capbles, etc).

Regarding why butt into this thread, it was because Iamrael brought in Lampi - so I asked did he try it in his system as he hadn't specified, the answer was no, and I asked which tubes, as that is relevant to a demo. Since then, there has been constant attack and false allegations. It is guys like you who actually hold back the forum, by stating incorrect demos of products when you have not demoed them, and then attacking people so that some actual Lampi users who do have experiences to share do not state their experiences. If you want to mention a product, hear it in the same system before you do.

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Hi Iamrael,
Whether for lovers of Cerat or lampi and that some have some form of professionalisation of their forum activity no matter!
it is probably the game, I also like a lot Totaldac and the global and talented approach of Vincent Brient and then?

Here, it's just a question of mutual respect, an important feeling it seems to me in our poor little world.

Iamrael

Nov 3, 2017
Sorry, I have already addressed this - I bought the Lampi at 75 - 80%, that too from the distributor, not the dealer. I have not bought anything from him in the last three years, nor from Lampi (streamer, amps, capbles, etc).

Regarding why butt into this thread, it was because Iamrael brought in Lampi - so I asked did he try it in his system as he hadn't specified, the answer was no, and I asked which tubes, as that is relevant to a demo. Since then, there has been constant attack and false allegations. It is guys like you who actually hold back the forum, by stating incorrect demos of products when you have not demoed them, and then attacking people so that some actual Lampi users who do have experiences to share do not state their experiences. If you want to mention a product, hear it in the same system before you do.

I knew I was going to get sucked into this.....I never mentioned Lampizator until someone else brought it into the thread. Regardless, is this a rule I am not aware of, not being able to mention a product before hearing in the same system? (Whatever that means)

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
besides, I do not care about all that ... how important. that's all and it's nothing.

Whaoouuuu... 16 posts but Iamrael 24, you're too strong !

dctom

Jan 28, 2015
Wiltshire UK
www.davidcthomas.co.uk
Hands up I admit to being a Lampi user - it out performed my previous playback MPS-5 when I borrowed one to compare in my system. I have not any experience with the Kassandra or AN Dac 5 - they are outside my price range by a large margin. The Lampi is not cheap but does not have an outlandish price tag like the current "uber" DACs, the Kassandra ref I believe is 3 times the price of the GG and the audio note Dac 5, I think, is in that region also, dcs, msb go up even further.

If you are able to go for these options then naturally you would want to try them, I am sure they are excellent and presumably any prospective purchaser would want to try them in a familiar setting. Which leads me to the the point I wanted to make - whatever piece of equipment is being assessed within a given system, the auxiliary equipment will influence the final sound. Preamps, power amps, speakers will all impart their signature and become part of the final equation. A piece of gear may perform well in one system but not so well in another. For instance different computers and even OS can affect the sound produced, cables can make a difference, room acoustics ad nauseam.

When someone posts that so and so a dac/speaker etc is not for them, another listener could well espouse a dissimilar view of the same unit within their own setup. Hence the endless debate, individuals preferring this or that component over another. Needless to say, if we all liked the same type of sound, or our systems produced music that was indistinguishable from one to another, there would be no debate and all the boutique manufactures who have sprung up this century would go out of business.

btw I have shared some of Keds tube rolling experiments and consequently had my GG moded to take 242 valves to great effect (I am sure his Lampiness is born of enthusiasm - don't think Lukasz could afford his travel expenses anyway lol)
The result is organic and fluid sounding and compares very favourably to my analogue set up which is, if not ultra, at least high caliber.

Iamrael

Nov 3, 2017
Hands up I admit to being a Lampi user - it out performed my previous playback MPS-5 when I borrowed one to compare in my system. I have not any experience with the Kassandra or AN Dac 5 - they are outside my price range by a large margin. The Lampi is not cheap but does not have an outlandish price tag like the current "uber" DACs, the Kassandra ref I believe is 3 times the price of the GG and the audio note Dac 5, I think, is in that region also, dcs, msb go up even further.

If you are able to go for these options then naturally you would want to try them, I am sure they are excellent and presumably any prospective purchaser would want to try them in a familiar setting. Which leads me to the the point I wanted to make - whatever piece of equipment is being assessed within a given system, the auxiliary equipment will influence the final sound. Preamps, power amps, speakers will all impart their signature and become part of the final equation. A piece of gear may perform well in one system but not so well in another. For instance different computers and even OS can affect the sound produced, cables can make a difference, room acoustics ad nauseam.

When someone posts that so and so a dac/speaker etc is not for them, another listener could well espouse a dissimilar view of the same unit within their own setup. Hence the endless debate, individuals preferring this or that component over another. Needless to say, if we all liked the same type of sound, or our systems produced music that was indistinguishable from one to another, there would be no debate and all the boutique manufactures who have sprung up this century would go out of business.

btw I have shared some of Keds tube rolling experiments and consequently had my GG moded to take 242 valves to great effect (I am sure his Lampiness is born of enthusiasm - don't think Lukasz could afford his travel expenses anyway lol)
The result is organic and fluid sounding and compares very favourably to my analogue set up which is, if not ultra, at least high caliber.

....and it is for this very reason that posting ad nauseam about *********** on a thread with the intent to focus on the TotalDAC with total disregard to the OP (me) and to even go out of your way to exacerbate an already f'd up thread adding fuel to the fire only makes the Lampi camp look even more cliquish and wanting for attention without regard for anyone else.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Hey Paul, like various evangelical religions, the word must be promoted, and all the time it seems.
I’m guilty as charged in extolling the virtues of the brands I cherish, but
1- never do I claim my choices are de facto the only choices
2- I’m sad enough not to have an army of acolytes w me
Only JackD201 backs me up on Eera cdp, only KeithR backs me up on Zu (and he’s moved on), only AYDC backs me up on Stacore, only Blue58 backs me up on Sablon, and I’m a lone voice on Trans Fi analog and Westwick balanced power.
3- never once do I claim my choices are superior, on Stacore my current fave I’ve been adamant people must a/b v active, and not all rooms or systems might suit its attributes.
OTOH, I’ve been at a Lampi demo where even the owner was left a bit cold by his GG that day in comparison to another dac, and yet all I got from the Lampi fan present was how superior it was. A more laughable conclusion you couldn’t make up. And I went to this demo with massive expectation bias I was going to love the GG.

Hi Spirit,

I have read many of your posts over the years and trust me you are in no way representative of the issue to which I refer. Audio forums are littered with threads full of examples that track with your Point (3) above. And to your Point (2), the cavalry of acolytes always comes to the rescue in the knick of time. I have seen the movie 100 times.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing