Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Who REALLY makes the cables - For "Fill in the Blank" Audiophile Brand?

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    I do have one pet peeve, and that's cables that degrade over time through poor design/construction or through corrosion. I've seen flat ribbons one atop the other terminated into XLR plugs. How many times can you bend the cable before something gives? Not many, and this was a $3000+ cable that was sent to me for retermination. A couple years or so after it was reterminated it developed an internal short somewhere. Then there's the air/cotton dielectric folks, hate to break it to them but copper and/or silver corrode over time, and while an air/cotton dielectric sounds very slightly better vs teflon the wires do corrode over time. I've been making cables for over 20 years and I have plenty of proof of this as I went through a period of making cables with wire in teflon or cotton tubing. Now I use cotton as a cover that damps mechanical vibration without degrading the sound, the wires under the cotton jacket are teflon insulated.
    Corrosion is definitely an issue. This is why I hermetically sealed my interconnects and put silver oxidation inhibitor in there. It's a more serious problem for copper. Copper is fine, as long as its silver-plated or tin-plated. Stranded copper is the worst IMO. Never touch the stuff.

Steve N.
    Empirical Audio

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Folsom View Post
    Ok but the farther away the fields are from each other in a speaker cable, the bigger they get... meaning they can infect other cables more easily in their proximity (or electronics).
    Not a valid concern IMO. This happens within 1" of the cable. Fields fall off exponentially. People have this concept that fields are being picked-up by everything. Simply not the case. RF fields can be picked up by loop antennas, like ground loops however.

Steve N.
    Empirical Audio

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best! DaveC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Empirical Audio View Post
    Corrosion is definitely an issue. This is why I hermetically sealed my interconnects and put silver oxidation inhibitor in there. It's a more serious problem for copper. Copper is fine, as long as its silver-plated or tin-plated. Stranded copper is the worst IMO. Never touch the stuff.

Steve N.
    Empirical Audio
    I used to own an auto/welding shop and have seen plenty of corroded wires in autos, all stranded copper, the corrosion starts at an end and works it's way down the wire. Some say corrosion doesn't matter when talking about audio cables but I've seen many wires simply stop working and not just battery wires... power window/door wires, fuel pump wires, all sorts of wires just stop working after a while when they corrode.

I did build one cable with wire in teflon tube, then flushed the tube with nitrogen gas and sealed the ends. It is slightly better vs teflon insulation that conforms to the wire, but labor is a PITA and the ends of teflon tube require some not-generally-available adhesives to properly seal.
    Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio
    zenwaveaudio.com
    dave@zenwaveaudio.com
    Furutech Dealer

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Empirical Audio View Post

Steve N.
    Empirical Audio
    It depends on type of copper and the insulator. I had some Mogami cable (4mm2 multistrand with ultra thin wires) about forty years old in storage in my garage and recently looked for it and stripped the insulator at the extremes to fit connectors - it was like fresh copper wire, no vestiges at all of oxidation.
    DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack, Soundlab A1 Px's while waiting for the XLF successor, EMT927, SME3012R, ARC Phono 3, Lamm ML1.2 Ref, Lamm L2ref, Stealth Dream speaker , Crystal Dreamline ICs, TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables, CenterStage footers and Nordost Qkore8's!

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    I used to own an auto/welding shop and have seen plenty of corroded wires in autos, all stranded copper, the corrosion starts at an end and works it's way down the wire. Some say corrosion doesn't matter when talking about audio cables but I've seen many wires simply stop working and not just battery wires... power window/door wires, fuel pump wires, all sorts of wires just stop working after a while when they corrode.

I did build one cable with wire in teflon tube, then flushed the tube with nitrogen gas and sealed the ends. It is slightly better vs teflon insulation that conforms to the wire, but labor is a PITA and the ends of teflon tube require some not-generally-available adhesives to properly seal.
    I got some stranded copper wire once from a surplus electronics place. The stuff was so awful, I don't think you could light a lamp with it....

My interconnect cables were bare silver, supported by a custom structure that I fabricated. A bit better performance, and more durable than sewing through a cotton rope. I think a number of cable companies are doing this now.

Steve N.
    Empirical Audio

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    It depends on type of copper and the insulator. I had some Mogami cable (4mm2 multistrand with ultra thin wires) about forty years old in storage in my garage and recently looked for it and stripped the insulator at the extremes to fit connectors - it was like fresh copper wire, no vestiges at all of oxidation.

It does not take much, less than you can see. The more pure the copper is, the slower it will oxidize, so that was probably the reason.

Steve N.
    Empirical Audio

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234