Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does digital room correction and equalization make all speakers sound the same?

Member Addicted to Best! NorthStar's Avatar
    I've read the full short thread, and beyond.
    I like the cordialité, jovialité and expertise in the sound measurements and in the positive subjective taste towards Dirac Live digital equalization. ...Hi-Fi stereo sound...two front channels with one sweet spot.

It's a good bunch of audio enthusiasts there since they were kids. ...Just like here.

They are certainly Dirac Live oriented after their extensive experiment...and still going on. It is a constant process in order to improve, upgrade and energise the sound field.
    Ears don't lie, rooms don't lie, audio gear don't lie, measurements don't lie, Live don't lie. The only thing to keep in check is . . . distortion and listening fatigue that we became unawared off till we hear pure unaltered sound from the best electronics and loudspeakers in a perfectly acoustically treated room.

There was no fatigue analysis, just pleasant sound provided by direct Dirac...Pure Audio mode from natural Yamaha AVENTAGE.

The 88 I believe is good for eight channels, but stereo only requires two of them. The other six are for home theater...7.1
    ° https://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series/ddrc-88a

Dirac Live has a dedicated stereo unit I believe, so for stereo audiophiles who desire and aspire to the best sound, that unit is all you need. ...For the purists, because the other six channels aren't necessary, or unless with your stereo speakers you are using six subwoofers, one in each corner and two more right behind you...for a good dose of Black Sabbath.

I enjoyed reading their comments. They look like a friendly bunch who want no pressure and no argument from the social world of audio nirvana. It is what it is with a door sealed tight so that no sound can escape.
    That's my kind of place...I am registering so that I can learn from the pros on audio, music, films, Dirac Live, all that jazz.

Thank you again Flavio for sharing an educative link that we can all use to learn more about what drives us all insane in this very sane world we all live in today. ;-)

Cheers,
    ___

* Bonus (humor touch):

Last edited by NorthStar; 11-07-2017 at 06:20 PM.
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

A few notations...
    - passive treatment and digital room correction cohesist well... actually I read that "corner bass traps and absorptive panels at critical first-reflection points, including on the ceiling" are present in that listening room
    - impulse response (that affects transients) is corrected together with frequency response by Dirac Live even if they don't show the Dirac's IR graphs
    https://www.dirac.com/dirac-blog/201...-of-distortion

Flavio
    Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

I am reading Markus analyses of Dirac Live implementation in the new Arcam receivers, and in the newest NAD receiver...@ AVS. Plus, Jerry's thread on the Dirac Live 8-channel unit, with Markus and Roger contributions. Emotiva also has implemented Dirac Live in its two multichannel pre/pros, one with eight and the latest with sixteen DL equalization.

We are learning about proper bass management, proper channel levels, and how to optimize everything with each receiver and SSP under use; as implemented or separated.

Markus is the audio guru to go to, on Dirac Live, bass management, and much more. ...One of the top audio scientist contributors alive today.
    I also keep track with AVF, from the UK side...on Dirac Live. There are few smart contributors there too.

Trinnov, Steinway Lyngdorf — Datasat, Acurate, and DSP speakers from B&O.
    Ask those guys @ avnirvana (Sonnie) to check the Beolab 90 loudspeakers.
    Last edited by NorthStar; 11-08-2017 at 02:49 PM.
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

Quote Originally Posted by Flak View Post
    A few notations...
    - passive treatment and digital room correction cohesist well... actually I read that "corner bass traps and absorptive panels at critical first-reflection points, including on the ceiling" are present in that listening room
    - impulse response (that affects transients) is corrected together with frequency response by Dirac Live even if they don't show the Dirac's IR graphs
    https://www.dirac.com/dirac-blog/201...-of-distortion

Flavio
    Ya but the tough part is they can't coexist well in an analog only system. Can't have all of those 000's and 111's getting in front of my TT. I love the concept of DSP on paper but completely avoided it and went 100% toward room optimization.
    Paul

Power - Torus 75 amp WMT. Furutech NCF Lines, Flux-50s, Outlets, PC's. Star ground.
    Cables - Nordost Valhalla 2 and Odin (phono).
    Analog Source- ARC Ref 10 Phono. Acoustic Sig Ascona MKII, TA-9000 arm, Lyra Atlas.
    Digital Source- MSB Reference DAC, Femto 33.
    Amplification - Soulution 721 Pre and 501 Monos.
    Speakers - Raidho D3.1
    Room Acoustics - Acoustic Frontiers Design, RPG Plates, Absorption and Diffraction, and Custom Helmholtz Traps.
    Stands - Solid Walnut by Timber Nation.

Some TTs have a USB port.
    Analog with DSP is the future ...
    DSP in the speakers.

Bryston, Canada, is not into room EQ with their SSPs, Classe, but they do have some digital bass management.

For stereo analog purists, we have analog planet.
    For stereo digital sinners, we have filters, compression, volume limiter, dynamic range expansion, lossy res audio files, MQA, and lossless too, Tidal.

The avnirvana experiment used an Oppo 205 as the digital source...stereo.
    Now, what they need to do is to compare with an analog rig containing a say $2,500 turntable/arm/cart/phono preamp combination.
    The digital rig being Dirac Live equed, and the analog one not.
    Last edited by NorthStar; 11-08-2017 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    Some TTs have a USB port.

Analog with DSP is the future ...
    Blasphemy!!!!
    Paul

Power - Torus 75 amp WMT. Furutech NCF Lines, Flux-50s, Outlets, PC's. Star ground.
    Cables - Nordost Valhalla 2 and Odin (phono).
    Analog Source- ARC Ref 10 Phono. Acoustic Sig Ascona MKII, TA-9000 arm, Lyra Atlas.
    Digital Source- MSB Reference DAC, Femto 33.
    Amplification - Soulution 721 Pre and 501 Monos.
    Speakers - Raidho D3.1
    Room Acoustics - Acoustic Frontiers Design, RPG Plates, Absorption and Diffraction, and Custom Helmholtz Traps.
    Stands - Solid Walnut by Timber Nation.

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    Some TTs have a USB port. (...)
    Probably soon you will have a Wifi turntable ...
    DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack, Metronome Kalista / Kondo KSL DAC, Soundlab A1 Px's , EMT927, SME3012R, ARC Phono 3, ARC REF40, VTL Siegfried II, TA Opus MM2 speaker and signal, TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables, CenterStage footers and Nordost Qkore8's!

I was serious...not.

I expanded a little in the above.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12