Furutech Silver Arrow 2 Phono Cable

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Been breaking in this cable and its by far the best phono cable I have had in my system. Very, very musical and oodles of resolution. Typical of Furutech, the build quality is off the charts good.

Listening now to Hitchhiker from Neil Young. Guitar and vocals are super clear and lifelike. Just have around 60 hours on it so far. Running it in at nights on my headphone rig.

Anyone else us this in their system?

Reactions: mulveling

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Now have around 70 hours on the cable. Much more refined than before. Smoother.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Break-in on this cable is creating more smoothness and the top end "air" is improving. Bass has tightened up a bit more. Very much like this cable.

I think Furutech is a bit under-rated in many quarters. I also have the new Ag-16 cable which I will be using more and more. It's more moderate in price, around $1K.

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
Break-in on this cable is creating more smoothness and the top end "air" is improving. Bass has tightened up a bit more. Very much like this cable.

I think Furutech is a bit under-rated in many quarters. I also have the new Ag-16 cable which I will be using more and more. It's more moderate in price, around $1K.

How does the AG-16 compare to the Silver Arrows 2?

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
I have the Silver Arrows - first version - . I heard it with Audio Technica ART 9 with Esoteric E-03...

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

mallen123

Feb 27, 2018
Anyone know sound differences between Silver Arrows II and Silver Arrows?

From MFTR web site, it looks like the first version is pure silver conductor vs II is Silver Hybrid OCC. They still make both, so doesn't appear the II replaced the first version.

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
I've been using two Audioquest WEL Signature LP cables in my main system, and before that a Wild LP. But I've become curious to try other phono cables, and the Furutech has caught my eye. More in general, I've been wondering about the microphonics on phono cables. Every time I fiddle with the phono cabling in my system (both the run from tonearm, and again from the SUT), with the system volume still live on "normal" levels, I hear lots of feedback from even light touches. Yet none of the phono cable makers seem to tout damping or vibration isolation in their construction - I find this odd. And the ubiquitous techflex/nylon sheathing seems to be a very poor choice for this. In fact, most phono cables seem to be largely lacking information on their construction and materials/conductor choices versus other cable types (even from the same company, e.g. AQ). Not idea what gauge wire is even used in my WEL Signature LPs, though it seems to be very very thin and delicate - in fact my cable run from the SUT just recently broke a connection somewhere and now injects a loud hum - very frustrating!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
How about being a bit more specific?

Sure. Not as much detail or as deep bass on my system. Very much same family values!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Anyone know sound differences between Silver Arrows II and Silver Arrows?

From MFTR web site, it looks like the first version is pure silver conductor vs II is Silver Hybrid OCC. They still make both, so doesn't appear the II replaced the first version.

I wish I could be more helpful but I have not heard the first version in my system. It did sound excellent in my friend Ed's system. My understanding is that furutech feels the newer metallurgy is better.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I've been using two Audioquest WEL Signature LP cables in my main system, and before that a Wild LP. But I've become curious to try other phono cables, and the Furutech has caught my eye. More in general, I've been wondering about the microphonics on phono cables. Every time I fiddle with the phono cabling in my system (both the run from tonearm, and again from the SUT), with the system volume still live on "normal" levels, I hear lots of feedback from even light touches. Yet none of the phono cable makers seem to tout damping or vibration isolation in their construction - I find this odd. And the ubiquitous techflex/nylon sheathing seems to be a very poor choice for this. In fact, most phono cables seem to be largely lacking information on their construction and materials/conductor choices versus other cable types (even from the same company, e.g. AQ). Not idea what gauge wire is even used in my WEL Signature LPs, though it seems to be very very thin and delicate - in fact my cable run from the SUT just recently broke a connection somewhere and now injects a loud hum - very frustrating!

I'm not having any microphonics issues here with a Ref Phono 2.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Every time I fiddle with the phono cabling in my system (both the run from tonearm, and again from the SUT), with the system volume still live on "normal" levels, I hear lots of feedback from even light touches. Yet none of the phono cable makers seem to tout damping or vibration isolation in their construction - I find this odd. And the ubiquitous techflex/nylon sheathing seems to be a very poor choice for this. In fact, most phono cables seem to be largely lacking information on their construction and materials/conductor choices versus other cable types (even from the same company, e.g. AQ). Not idea what gauge wire is even used in my WEL Signature LPs, though it seems to be very very thin and delicate - in fact my cable run from the SUT just recently broke a connection somewhere and now injects a loud hum - very frustrating!

The 'feedback' (noise?) you hear when fiddling with your phono cable is more likely related to its connections at a phono stage or step-up. Could be either inputs or more likely RCAs, but not likely the cable itself. Either way, damping would not be a solution to a weak connection, loose wires, loose socket, etc. Outside chance of broken insulation internally. Check cartridge pins for connection tightnss.

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
No sorry...

mountainjoe

Industry Expert
Mar 25, 2015
Bay Area, California
eigenaudio.com
Has anyone compared the Silver Arrows 2 to the Stage 3 phono cable?

I have the Stage III Analord Master phono cable but don't have the Furutech - I've been curious about it though so may well acquire one to compare. If you have one, stop over and we can do a comparison ;-)

Reactions: bazelio

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I have the Stage III Analord Master phono cable but don't have the Furutech - I've been curious about it though so may well acquire one to compare. If you have one, stop over and we can do a comparison ;-)

I will soon. Sounds like a plan, and I need to hear your new table still anyhow. :)

Reactions: mountainjoe

mountainjoe

Industry Expert
Mar 25, 2015
Bay Area, California
eigenaudio.com
I will soon. Sounds like a plan, and I need to hear your new table still anyhow. :)

And if you wait a couple of weeks, I'll have my new VDH Master Signature Strad mounted (on a Schroeder CB-1) ;-)

Reactions: dan31 and bazelio

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Will definitely wait .... and try to run in the Silver Arrows II 24/7 for a while.

Which Master Sig Strad BTW.... wood choice, voltage output, etc. Inquiring minds...

Reactions: mountainjoe

mountainjoe

Industry Expert
Mar 25, 2015
Bay Area, California
eigenaudio.com
Will definitely wait .... and try to run in the Silver Arrows II 24/7 for a while.

Which Master Sig Strad BTW.... wood choice, voltage output, etc. Inquiring minds...

It’s the African Genadille wood with 0.9mV option. The CB-1 is also in African ebony to match ;-)

Btw - the arm just shipped so hopefully I will have the setup running this weekend.

Reactions: bazelio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing