Ch precision...p1

Mini-Me

Sep 8, 2020
All these reports on the P1 puts me in a good mood odering it :) I guess it will be the ultimate solution for my analog system. The C1 would be the next locical step on the digital side.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
It's a pity that the rca and xlr inputs can't be used independently otherwise the P1 could have 6 inputs. Now that would be great.

In a certain sense, you can use it as 6 inputs. You can use their android app to choose the input to be RCA or XLR. But RCA and XLR share the same settings. However, you can change the settings easily using their app.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
In a certain sense, you can use it as 6 inputs. You can use their android app to choose the input to be RCA or XLR. But RCA and XLR share the same settings. However, you can change the settings easily using their app.
Thanks. That might mean it even more versatile.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I like the sound of CH Precision P1. I heard it several times in different systems with power supply, mono configuration and power supplies etc. each time I heard it I liked it. P1 is a great phono stage.
a couple of moths ago I had a chance to compare it with Kondo.
a friend of mine and I listened to CH P1 versus Kondo M7 Heritage's phono stage with dedicated SFZ SUT.
cartridge was ZYX Diamond, cabling was Kondo silver wires and all the NOS tubes were in place on M7 Heritage. Kondo was clear winner.
although P1 was great but Kondo was definitely way way better.

Reactions: hogen and XV-1

Mini-Me

Sep 8, 2020
I like the sound of CH Precision P1. I heard it several times in different systems with power supply, mono configuration and power supplies etc. each time I heard it I liked it. P1 is a great phono stage.
a friend of mine and I listened to CH P1 versus Kondo M7 Heritage's phono stage with dedicated SFZ SUT.
cartridge was ZYX Diamond, cabling was Kondo silver wires and all the NOS tubes were in place on M7 Heritage. Kondo was clear winner.
However, I think the P1 will be more suitable for daily use. Its flexibility allows to experiment with a wide variety of cartridges...

Reactions: mtemur

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
You cannot use the same input with rca and xlr connected
I tried one time,i have a Nanotec phono cable xlr,but the sound of rca was worse when xlr was in same input,but i tried only only one time

Mini-Me

Sep 8, 2020
You cannot use the same input with rca and xlr connected
I tried one time,i have a Nanotec phono cable xlr,but the sound of rca was worse when xlr was in same input,but i tried only only one time
May be both connectors for one and the same input are connected in parallel.

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
This comparison were my initial dilemma before I got the P1
I was almost bought the m7 and had the sfz already.
In the last minute decided to sell the sfz and went for the P1 route. The reviews of his natural sounding and abilities and versatility were a win for the “almost one trick pony” kondo configuration.

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Byrdparis, thanks for purchasing our C1 DAC and P1 phono. We hope you enjoy them for many years! Have you used the Gain Wizard or the Loading Wizard (only for MM/MC input 3) for any of your cartridges? How did you find those experiences?

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
This comparison were my initial dilemma before I got the P1
I was almost bought the m7 and had the sfz already.
In the last minute decided to sell the sfz and went for the P1 route. The reviews of his natural sounding and abilities and versatility were a win for the “almost one trick pony” kondo configuration.
actually m7 phono and m7 heritage are two different models but m7 phono would be just fine. it’s a trade of between better sound and versatility. anyway P1 is still a very good phono stage.

Last edited:
Reactions: byrdparis

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
anyway P1 is still a very good phono stage.
haha.... i know around here is maybe "nothing" to own a P1, but from where i come from... im the only one who have it, i dont know any other audiophile aficionado in my country, that have such $$ unit for a phono stage :)
i am sure the kondo is amazing!

Reactions: mtemur and Mini-Me

Mini-Me

Sep 8, 2020
My dealer just asked me if I want to order the P1 together with the EQ board option. Your recommendation would be highly appreciated! I am not sure if it is really needed...even for ancient records.

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
My dealer just asked me if I want to order the P1 together with the EQ board option. Your recommendation would be highly appreciated! I am not sure if it is really needed...even for ancient records.
i have that board in mine.
to tell you the truth, i played with that a couple of times in the beginning.
if you have a large lp collection from different eras its a beautiful thing to have, if you ask me if its a must? i dont think so...
but YMMV and also your bank account balance ;)

Reactions: mtemur

Mini-Me

Sep 8, 2020
i have that board in mine.
to tell you the truth, i played with that a couple of times in the beginning.
if you have a large lp collection from different eras its a beautiful thing to have, if you ask me if its a must? i dont think so...
but YMMV and also your bank account balance ;)
I share your impressions. Usually, such features are nice to have but will be not practicable since it is not known from a record which curve it exactly matches...more or less trial and error.

Brahmsian

VIP/Donor
Aug 2, 2020
Hi.
sorry for the delayed reply,
i am still with the P1 as it shown on my signature and basically i think it might be the best phono stage out there.
i still didnt get the X1 for my P1, but did get the C1 two months ago. so now if il bring the X1 i will need two modules :)
i am still not quiet sure how much the X1 will attribute to the whole presentation and overall performance, though i am very curious, but as always the high price for external psu suppress my drive to buy it and my attention continued to other equipment related.

regarding reliability, i had no issues what so ever!
i think it build like a tank and with very capable hands and minds! although it pack with technology its firm and steady operate.

I LOVE my P1.
for me its an end game phono preamp.
if i would want something different in the future (may be some tubes..) it will be an extra unit, not instead.
Hi Byrdparis,

While I cannot comment about the X1 with P1 as I don’t have such a set up, I can confidently say that the X1 made a huge difference to the C1/D1 on my setup. What does huge mean? A darker background with improved separation being painted on a wider canvas (sound staging). Classical freaks like me value timbre and you can hear the viola so clearly in a string quartet. It makes it more musical. Can you quantify this? Not possible but I would say the X1 is a highly desirable investment. If you have gone this far, you may as well go all it. And according the CH themselves, the X1 makes the biggest difference with the P1. Slightly off topic but I would invest in the X1 PSU before buying a clock (T1).

I waited for 2 years before buying the X1 and I regret doing that now.

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
Hi Byrdparis,

While I cannot comment about the X1 with P1 as I don’t have such a set up, I can confidently say that the X1 made a huge difference to the C1/D1 on my setup. What does huge mean? A darker background with improved separation being painted on a wider canvas (sound staging). Classical freaks like me value timbre and you can hear the viola so clearly in a string quartet. It makes it more musical. Can you quantify this? Not possible but I would say the X1 is a highly desirable investment. If you have gone this far, you may as well go all it. And according the CH themselves, the X1 makes the biggest difference with the P1. Slightly off topic but I would invest in the X1 PSU before buying a clock (T1).

I waited for 2 years before buying the X1 and I regret doing that now.
Thanks for input! This not over looked.
I have the most confident in chp products as for the X1 benefit.. its just when im thinking to cash for it i find myself buying a more substantial equipment i believe will get me forward.. i guess i will not “run” for it too long and X1 will appear in My set up sooner then later.. i am contemplating about a new pre amp for my new 211 based single ended monoblocks. and the L1 although its not a valve preamp get a high place in my short list... very high! So here... my savings once again divert to something i want more :)

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Thanks for input! This not over looked.
I have the most confident in chp products as for the X1 benefit.. its just when im thinking to cash for it i find myself buying a more substantial equipment i believe will get me forward.. i guess i will not “run” for it too long and X1 will appear in My set up sooner then later.. i am contemplating about a new pre amp for my new 211 based single ended monoblocks. and the L1 although its not a valve preamp get a high place in my short list... very high! So here... my savings once again divert to something i want more :)

I completely understand your position. It took me a couple years to get the X1 for my P1. The P1 is great on its own.

Mini-Me

Sep 8, 2020
I completely understand your position. It took me a couple years to get the X1 for my P1. The P1 is great on its own.
My P1 (without X1) will arrive next week. This will be a great fall/winter time. I will rediscover my whole record collection...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing