Impressions, XP30 or AR REF6 PREAmp paired with PASS XA.8 Mono Amps

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Hello,

Wondering if anyone has had the pleasure of hearing these these two PREAmps paired with the XA.8 amps from Pass? If so, what were your thoughts?

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on one of these PRE Amps to pair with my PASS XA60.8 Monos using Magico S3 MKI speakers and its not likely that I will be able to hear the XP30 in a demo. I have a local dealer for the AR REF6 so that one could be demoed.

I've never owned a Tube component and a few concerns I have with that ownership are maintenance, reliability and the tube Pre's ability to drive a fairly long set of XLR balanced cables (30ft) to reach the amps.

I've gathered that the XP30 has a sound that leans more towards the warm side like a tube PRE would but I suspect that it would still be more clinical sounding than a tube based component in general.

Ideally I am looking for a happy medium in terms of warmth and accuracy. Something that adds a little more meat to the bones but not something that will make everything sound on the slow, puffy or too euphoric side.

Thanks for any experiences you can share

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
If you're in the U.S., you should be able to arrange a demo of the XP30 with Reno Hi Fi, basically for the price of return postage if you decide not to keep the unit.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Good question. I sort of am thinking along that line. Last week I was at Suncoast Audio in FL, and listened to both the Magico M3 and the S5 Mk II. Both setups were using AR preamps, and sounded great. Of course, I think my XP-20 sounds great so I'm not sure if any pre can really make a big difference. :)

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Pres usually make a big difference, and the AR REF6 even more so!

I've found out the combination of powerful SS + a nice tube preamp will give a "best of both worlds" situation, and you should be able to obtain that extra "meat on the bones" you talked about, plus a nice extra dose of soundstaging too :)

If you audition the REF 6, make sure it has a few hours in it, at least 200-300. It's impressive enough fresh off the box, but it gets even more so with that many hours on the clock.

cheers,
alex

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Thanks for the info folks. It gives me some more things to consider.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
I had the Pass XP-30 and XA-100.8 in my listening room for over year and they are a wonderful combo that work absolutely perfectly together. The XP-30 offers a natural warmth yet a high level of detail. The pairing is a no brainer if there ever was one.

The ARC REF6 is also a wonderful sounding preamp that I also had in my room but after the Pass system. This preamp brings stellar body, dimension and dynamics to the table. I know others have had very positive experience mating ARC preamps with Pass amps. I would caution you to make sure the REF6 has at least 600 hours on it for any home demo. It takes the capacitors 600 hundred hours to fully break in. Otherwise, you may experience some edginess in the treble.

Best of luck,
Ken

Robert < NxLT > Slowinski

Jul 13, 2015
Poland
www.nxlt.eu
Hi,

I had a 60.8 and 160.5 combined with a broken Reference 6 AR Preamplifier. ( had XP-20 and audited xp-30 for a week from Pass)

With the 60.8 it was a very fine combination. Enormous stage. Great placing in space. Good defined bass. I think I fits better with AR
With the 160.5 also had vew very good things. Like better and more refined heights. Little warmer around presentation.

I sold both amplifiers and now getting a “real” Class A DIY Pass Aleph - XJ

I need both worlds combined together.

Last edited:

Annapurna

Mar 19, 2018
I have a ARC Ref 6 which I bought in Feb this year to replace my previous Airtight ATC2 pre. The ARC Ref 6 is an excellent matc with my Pass XA100.8 even fresh out of the box. Right now, it is about 60plus hrs and I am now contemplating to replace my phono with a ARC Ref 3 phono or the new Pass XP27 phono. Will keep all updated on the progress.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing