Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I am happy for you that you are satisfied with your two very different systems!

But . . . "everyone knows"? Many people would disagree, and contend that only the percussive impact of dynamic drivers can provide "punch and real dynamics." I personally think that both horns and big cones can provide "punch and real dynamics."

I, for one, find significant wooferage (e.g., a REL "6 pack") mated with Magnepan 20.7s (driven by a few hundred watts) to achieve sound which is close to or at the state-of-the art.
Who knows if magnapan bring out open dynamic bass drivers and make them available separately to be used with the 30.7s and they improve on the sound quality I might be interested.do you find the 20.7s with rel subs close to the 30.7s.? The 30.7s are definitely better than 20.7s.I get very good bass with the 30.7s.even abit to much bass on some recordings in my 8 by 5 metre room.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have never heard the 30.7.

Day Radebaugh

Dec 20, 2021
I love these speakers, after I set them up properly, with a lot of help and advice. Previous system was Infinity Betas, with Conrad Johnson Premier 8 on midrange. Never thought I'd hear the equal of those Betas, but these 30.7's have made a believer of me. Seamless, huge sound stage, plenty of bass, although I must say I'd be interested in integrating those new woofers that Wendell is working on for the mini 30.7's. I've become such a Maggie fan that I'm thinking of a pair of 1.7i's for my office.

I'm running the 30.7's with a pair of Ayre MX-R Twentys, but am shopping for alternatives. High current, high damping factor is what I'm led to believe works well. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_0393.jpg
    IMG_0393.jpg
    709.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I love these speakers, after I set them up properly, with a lot of help and advice. I'm running them with a pair of Ayre MX-R Twentys, but am shopping for alternatives. High current, high damping factor is what I'm led to believe works well. Any suggestions?
Welcome to wbf.i am a owner of the 30.7s as well and absolutely love them.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I love these speakers, after I set them up properly, with a lot of help and advice. I'm running them with a pair of Ayre MX-R Twentys, but am shopping for alternatives. High current, high damping factor is what I'm led to believe works well. Any suggestions?

For me, personally, I would consider any of the following amplifiers to be final decision/"destination" amplifiers to drive Magnepan loudspeakers:

ARC 750SE*
VAC 450
VTL Siegfried II*

Absolare Hybrid
Aesthetix Atlas Eclipse*
Lamm M2.2

*I have heard and enjoyed numerous times these amplifiers driving my friend's 20.7s.

Reactions: jadis

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
For me, personally, I would consider any of the following amplifiers to be final decision/"destination" amplifiers to drive Magnepan loudspeakers:

ARC 750SE*
VAC 450
VTL Siegfried II*

Absolare Hybrid
Aesthetix Atlas Eclipse*
Lamm M2.2

*I have heard and enjoyed numerous times these amplifiers driving my friend's 20.7s.
my mcintosh mc462 is also an excellent amplifier to drive the 30.7s.i couldn’t be more happier.

Day Radebaugh

Dec 20, 2021
Thanks for the suggestions. See my list below. I see we intersect on the AR 750's. I loved my Conrad Johnson Premier 8 tubers; there's something magical about tubes.

BURMESTER911
D'AGOSTINOM550
HEGELH30
BOULDER2150
PASSXA200.8
Audio ResearchREF 750
Audio ResearchREF 160
BRYSTON28B3
BRICASTIM28

gajgmusic

Apr 9, 2013
I would definitely add the EMM Labs amps to this. They used Magnapans as one of the test speakers in developing the amps and they sounded spectacular. They are quite remarkable.

gajgmusic

Apr 9, 2013
I should have added no disrespect to any of the other choices. Maggies were the first speaker I ever owned. Drove them with Quad 303, quite good but the amps were temperamental.

Day Radebaugh

Dec 20, 2021
Not familiar with EMM Labs, but will definitely check them out.. What is it that makes for a good pairing? Is it the high current/big damping factor business, or is there something else?

gajgmusic

Apr 9, 2013
EMM is Ed Meitner. One of the gurus of D to A conversion but long before that he made amplifiers (musetax) which remain highly sought after. High current and damping. Also a unique design that Ed worked on for a long time to get right. I use 2000 watts Karan Acoustics Monoblocks, which are wonderful, but these are just phenomenal.

Day Radebaugh

Dec 20, 2021
That's a serious amp. Thanks for the suggestion. I suppose Constellation would be a candidate as well.

Last edited:

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Thanks for the suggestions. See my list below. I see we intersect on the AR 750's. I loved my Conrad Johnson Premier 8 tubers; there's something magical about tubes.

BURMESTER911
D'AGOSTINOM550
HEGELH30
BOULDER2150
PASSXA200.8
Audio ResearchREF 750
Audio ResearchREF 160
BRYSTON28B3
BRICASTIM28
These are all top amplifiers. Try to get a home demo.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I love these speakers, after I set them up properly, with a lot of help and advice. Previous system was Infinity Betas, with Conrad Johnson Premier 8 on midrange. Never thought I'd hear the equal of those Betas, but these 30.7's have made a believer of me. Seamless, huge sound stage, plenty of bass, although I must say I'd be interested in integrating those new woofers that Wendell is working on for the mini 30.7's. I've become such a Maggie fan that I'm thinking of a pair of 1.7i's for my office.

I'm running the 30.7's with a pair of Ayre MX-R Twentys, but am shopping for alternatives. High current, high damping factor is what I'm led to believe works well. Any suggestions?
How do you find the bass on the 30.7s? theres definitely no need for a subwoofer for me.

Day Radebaugh

Dec 20, 2021
How do you find the bass on the 30.7s? theres definitely no need for a subwoofer for me.
Plenty of bass, and well integrated with the other frequencies. Agree, there's no need for a sub. I'm not a bass-aholic, even though I ran Infinity Betas with those big woofer towers. I find the bass on these 30.7's much more pleasing. The Betas were really two speaker systems: a midrange and a woofer system. Do you know anything about Wendell's remark that they would make their woofer modules of the 30.7 mini available for other speakers? Do you know the latest status of the mini 30.7? I last spoke with Wendell in October and he mentioned them but I didn't pursue the topic.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing