Visit to Marc C.'s (SpiritOfMusic's) House in England

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
OK Bill but it was the ABCO remastered SACD disc albeit played in Red Book.
The Zus didn't do it for me and AFAIK they aren't noted for classical music which is a large part of my listening.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I recently hosted a pro sound installer who also has great audiophile sensitivities. One of the few guys to tell club djs to watch their sound imbalance. He's helped set up the sound of some very big artists in small clubs, getting great immersive results.
He came over primarily to investigate my Stacore under my tt, and we played a lot of music that was heavily rhythmic, that lived or died based on how much PRaT system playback achieved. He was happy to listen to track after track of some pretty funky electronica and acid jazz, and while the sound wasn't fully to his liking (what system appeals equally to owner and guest?), rhythmic verve and timing were not issues for him.
Absence of PRaT is not something I recognise in my sound.
But hey, we're all different, hear differently and have different benchmarks. Me and Barry are v different.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I recently hosted a pro sound installer who also has great audiophile sensitivities. One of the few guys to tell club djs to watch their sound imbalance. He's helped set up the sound of some very big artists in small clubs, getting great immersive results.
He came over primarily to investigate my Stacore under my tt, and we played a lot of music that was heavily rhythmic, that lived or died based on how much PRaT system playback achieved. He was happy to listen to track after track of some pretty funky electronica and acid jazz, and while the sound wasn't fully to his liking (what system appeals equally to owner and guest?), rhythmic verve and timing were not issues for him.
But hey, we're all different, hear differently and have different benchmarks. Me and Barry are v different.

Marc, how did you and your friend evaluate the performance of the Stacore under your TT? Did you remove the unit so that he could here it before and after, or did you deflate the air in the bladders? What was your method of evaluation and in the end, how did your friend like the way the Stacore changed the sound?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi Peter, we didn't do an a/b, for various reasons mainly logistical it's extremely complex to move my tt. The purpose of the visit was just for him to get a feel of fit and finish of the Stacore, and take in some tunes.

Peter, I know we're big fans of a/b comparisons here, but you'll have to take my word for it that the Stacore has taken my tt to uncharted territory. If I tell you I've spent the last few years struggling to get my analog to comprehensively beat my digital, and now it eats it for breakfast, that's proof enough for me of the Stacore's unique worth under my tt.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK

don't worry Marc, I'll give you my honest opinion when I see you later this month. ;) And then you can start all over again...LOL!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Of course you will Barry, I ask everyone to be totally frank w me on what they feel about my sound.

It's then up to me to find I agree, or disagree, or try to explain where differences might lay.

So Dave From Wales came up, generally liked what he heard, but felt my system was handily beaten by his in terms of dynamics and bass extension.

Since he's running Dartzeel/big ATC active monitors/infinite sub using his roof void as a loading chamber, that's maybe not a surprise.

But he was v complimentary to me about what he felt my sound excelled at, tonal variation, texture, low level dynamics, intimacy.

That's good enough for me.

Barry's DCS/Vitus/YG presentation from what I remember is a cooler, more neutral and transparent sound, and I can see why he'd feel my sound paled.

For me that's a type of presentation that doesn't appeal, I got rid of my Marantz SA1/high power SS/Pro Ac low sensitivity multi driver complex crossover spkr type setup over a decade ago, and wouldn't go back.

Horses for courses.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hi Peter, we didn't do an a/b, for various reasons mainly logistical it's extremely complex to move my tt. The purpose of the visit was just for him to get a feel of fit and finish of the Stacore, and take in some tunes.

Peter, I know we're big fans of a/b comparisons here, but you'll have to take my word for it that the Stacore has taken my tt to uncharted territory. If I tell you I've spent the last few years struggling to get my analog to comprehensively beat my digital, and now it eats it for breakfast, that's proof enough for me of the Stacore's unique worth under my tt.

Marc, I don't doubt your observations regarding the Stacore. After all, I'm most satisfied with my Vibraplane pneumatic isolation platform under my SME. I was just curious how you demonstrated the efficacy of the Stacore to your pro audio friend whom you state visited you for the purpose of evaluating the Stacore solution under your turntable. If he did not hear it with and without, or before and after, like you have, he is left to believe your words, as are the rest of us. That is surely fine, but faith in an opinion is very different from actually hearing the effect for oneself.

A simple test for judging the effect of the pneumatics is to simply deflate the bladders and play some music. Then inflate them and listen again. You do not have to remove the Stacore completely from under the Salvation to get "some" sense of what it is doing. Of course, the massive platform with its constrained layer technology should probably sound better than no Stacore platform under the TT, but still, it's a simple thing to judge the effect of the air isolation.

I was just curious to know what you demonstrated for your friend. I'm sure he was impressed with the Stacore fit and finish and overall quality. From the photos I've seen, it looks much nicer than my Vibraplane.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Peter, I've done the Stacore v Symposium a/b for myself once or twice, but it's Hellishly difficult to perform, and I have occasionally detuned the bladders on the Stacore, but just didn't get around to it for my guest.
For my part I'm sold on the full Stacore effect, but I realise that's just a data point for me personally.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Awaiting one of the last pieces of my audio jigsaw.

Custom built Lead spikes to replace stock on my Zus.

These to be fitted into the Zus and to sit on Symposium Svelte Shelf isolation platforms.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Just installed Townshend Audio Maximum supertweeters. Wasn't expecting much tbh, esp w the numbers for sale used on EBay.

V pleasantly surprised, in some ways as dramatic as my much bigger upgrades and other tweaks.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Just installed Townshend Audio Maximum supertweeters. Wasn't expecting much tbh, esp w the numbers for sale used on EBay.

V pleasantly surprised, in some ways as dramatic as my much bigger upgrades and other tweaks.

Was thinking about some of those myself. What did you get from them?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Brad, direct from the company, on no quibble trial.
I could have picked up cheaper used examples, but no chance of refund if they proved ineffectual.

It may well be that they esp work here, because they start outputting at 6kHz, my Zu Radian tweeters start at 11kHz.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Hi Marc. I have had a pair on top of my big Wilsons for a few years now. They are excellent and just add a little air that the Focal tweeters seem not to possess.

Enjoy them.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Those with supertweeters,
May i ask how you have fixed them in position?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Those with supertweeters,
May i ask how you have fixed them in position?

I have little clear/silicon type stoppers/feet that provide enough stickiness to stay put on top of my Wilson's, even at a slight downwards angle.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Have them plonked on Symposium Precision Couplers.
Hey, I wouldn't be a card carrying audiofool if I didn't ALREADY experiment w footers LOL.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bespoke spikes replacement arrived and went in today.
Stock Zu 3/8" 16-thread replaced w specially made up alternatives involving a 1" diameter Lead cylinder terminating in its own 3/8-16 thread, can also be ordered as a spike.
Courtesy of www.jeffssoundanswers.com
Subtle but effective upgrade over stock.
My sound had thinned a little w taking my Zu subs crossovers settings down to near minimal. Jeff's devices have reintroduced a little more heft and substance to the sound, so much so that I'm getting the deeper texture of my previous more obtrusive subs settings w all the advantages of agility and transparency that the new minimal setting and supertweeters are introducing.
And again the advantages of going Sablon Reserva/Elite for my whole cable loom is reinforced.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That is a great report, Marc! More incremental progress!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi Ron.
They may be incremental, but they're also disproportionately influential as well.

Back in my old deficient room, some changes were instantly noticeable as an improvement, but many were ambiguous too, a function of poor aggressive acoustics, and my setup that I'll humbly admit was nowhere near optimal, especially my analog.

Now with a room and system both fully expressive and transparent to setup and changes, each thing I do can be pretty comprehensively judged a success or not.

And indeed changes are fully synergistic, so that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

It's a total joy to properly hear the main drivers of my Zus, w the subs now only in a supportive, subtle role. And as such the Sablon Reserva Elites to the subs, Townshend supertweeters, and now Jeff's bespoke footers to the Zus have enabled me to gain all the benefits of increased speed, agility and transparency w the subs intruding less, less smeared, while keeping the tone density and shove Zus are famed for, and have been so exemplary in the decade Ive run them.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Excellent, Marc!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing