Saskia 2 Reference tt

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
Yes, David, but I'm talking about a situation of a person who has no experience with the deck :)
And a high w&f does not automatically invalidate a specimen. Finding a good test record is already a BIG problem in my experience so best to test with a known record with known issues (eccentricity and wrap).
Actually I meant the Feikert app for a smartphone :)

Cheers,

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You're not going streaming any time soon, are you Dave?
I know how you feel.
---
I'm not sure I'm going to be in the mkt for a 927 just yet.
Ironically the moment I'll have £50k to buy one, they'll be pushing £70k.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Yes, David, but I'm talking about a situation of a person who has no experience with the deck :)
And a high w&f does not automatically invalidate a specimen. Finding a good test record is already a BIG problem in my experience so best to test with a known record with known issues (eccentricity and wrap).
Actually I meant the Feikert app for a smartphone :)

Cheers,

I'll check the app out. Last time I used a test record to check my anti-skating with an unfamiliar arm it took the stylus off. None of the tools are totally accurate but one can have superior results understanding their limitations and faults.

david

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Dave et al, your thoughts on this tt?
www.spec-corp.co.jp gmp-8000

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
+1 a must do if serious. If possible, please load the Dr Feikert app /the paid version with a weighted readout/, grab a good test disc and test for w&f.
IIRC 927 has 0.03% weighted nominal.

Cheers,

The SME 30/12, IIRC, was tested by HiFi News and has a wow and flutter of 0.01 or 0.02%. Incredibly good numbers.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
You're not going streaming any time soon, are you Dave?
I know how you feel.
---
I'm not sure I'm going to be in the mkt for a 927 just yet.
Ironically the moment I'll have £50k to buy one, they'll be pushing £70k.

Pandora+Apple Airport+iPad=;) Wife!

Dave et al, your thoughts on this tt?
www.spec-Corp jp gmp-8000

Ive seen it before Marc but never heard one, it's certainly old school and everything seems right about it.

david

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
The SME 30/12, IIRC, was tested by HiFi News and has a wow and flutter of 0.01 or 0.02%. Incredibly good numbers.

If you want to go beyond a single number, here is a much more elaborated analysis due to Paul R (ultra long read alert):

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=70027&highlight=turntable+speed+analysis

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=128190&highlight=turntable+speed+analysis

I hope to reproduce this measurement method when I come closer to finishing my 930 motor controller.

Cheers,

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
I'll check the app out. Last time I used a test record to check my anti-skating with an unfamiliar arm it took the stylus off. None of the tools are totally accurate but one can have superior results understanding their limitations and faults.

david

Fighting with my 930 adjustment I bought total 3 test records and each was giving different results. I finally sent the deck to Hans F. who has his custom made test LP with a brass insert to assure v low eccentricity. Even with that, he had to learn how to put it to get the lowest error.

I found app v useful when I was playing with some little improvements, like putting a teflon washer on the idler.

Cheers,

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Must have been on Quoka.de, the German ripoff site :)!
david

Danger Will Robinson!!:mad:

Agree totally here do NOT trust Quoka.de site--I fell for a well respected member there--impeccable Feedback/etc /etc --only to have him and his bank gobble my €1.6K Euros

and delivered no product. He never answered calls /mails and his useless bank couldn't give a sh*t either. My mails with photocopies /etc of transactions to Quoka , local Police and Interpol all unanswered .

Avoid!:(

BruceD

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
+1 a must do if serious. If possible, please load the Dr Feikert app /the paid version with a weighted readout/, grab a good test disc and test for w&f.
IIRC 927 has 0.03% weighted nominal.

Cheers,

I still prefer my old analog Kenwood FL140 wow and flutter meter - less than $100 at eBay ten years ago! But getting a test record with such low wow and flutter is not easy.

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 117

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
I was once hunting EMT 924 meter but then decided to listen to records and not test records ;) Seriously, I hope to implement the fm demod technique i linked above. There one can eadily identify and isolate test record errors.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Danger Will Robinson!!:mad:

Agree totally here do NOT trust Quoka.de site--I fell for a well respected member there--impeccable Feedback/etc /etc --only to have him and his bank gobble my €1.6K Euros

and delivered no product. He never answered calls /mails and his useless bank couldn't give a sh*t either. My mails with photocopies /etc of transactions to Quoka , local Police and Interpol all unanswered .

Avoid!:(

BruceD

Even audiomarkt.de - where I sometimes buy and sell some equipment - has many fraudulent sellers.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I was once hunting EMT 924 meter but then decided to listen to records and not test records ;) Seriously, I hope to implement the fm demod technique i linked above. There one can eadily identify and isolate test record errors.

It is one of the nice things of the Kenwood FL140 - it has an output of the demodulated signal that can be connected to a cheap PC spectral analysis instrument, allowing immediate detailed wow and flutter components analysis.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Thanks, can you please describe what those qualities were? Was it flow, fullness, among other things?

sorry for the delay in response, it's been a very busy day.

my particular Dobbins Garrard 301 (with the $3.5k Loricraft PSU special power supply allowing for a robust 50hz supply) had this drive and supercharged mid bass, and sense of 'swing' ('flow' would be another appropriate word) that on small combo jazz and particular rock'n roll would put a big smile on my face. it was relatively noisy and marginally refined, missed an amount of delicacy and nuance, and got lost on large scale classical........but on the right music and with the appropriate adult beverage it was great fun. it was a case of an added 'sauce' that I liked sometimes......but what came along with 'sauce' (and sometimes that sauce itself) got 'relatively' in the way of the music more times than not.

it's one tt I will always miss.

the Saskia had that 'fun quotient' too, plus very low noise and refinement in spades to boot.

btw; the American Sounds seemed to possess these positive qualities too plus an out-of-the-earth singular authority.

Last edited:

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
It is one of the nice things of the Kenwood FL140 - it has an output of the demodulated signal that can be connected to a cheap PC spectral analysis instrument, allowing immediate detailed wow and flutter components analysis.

Great! Did not know that feature of FL140. What I have in mind is a purely software tool.
Cheers,

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
A member here has kindly emailed Win on my behalf.
It would be nice to make contact after several attempts on my part have failed to elicit any response.
As I say, this ship likely has sailed.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm always one for the left field choice.
Really like what I'm reading about the Spec Corpn Jp GMP-8000.
Unfortunately not easy/impossible to hear in the UK.

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
I'm always one for the left field choice.
Really like what I'm reading about the Spec Corpn Jp GMP-8000.
Unfortunately not easy/impossible to hear in the UK.

SOM, you are not in left field :).

It is a very wonderful and musical machine, I have heard this turntable many times. It has the drive and excitement of the top of the line EMT machines. Really first-class brain behind the design, the wonderful and accesssable Yazaki-san of Spec Corp. I first heard the GMP-8000 right after I visited David in Utah. As with David setups, when listening to the Spec GMP-8000 with an exciting cartridge like the Neumann and a top class phono stage with the appropriate gain stage, it will snap your head around and put an amazing smile on your face!!

In the USA, Tone Imports handles the distribution...West Coast, Matt at Pitch Perfect...Midwest, Don Better in Ohio...East Coast, In Living Stereo NYC...all great guys setting them up with the EMT tonearms, carts, and the SPEC Corp electronics. Also, you get a chance to hear this machine with a high efficiency speaker like the Shindo Field Coil Latour.

If you have the chance, all great guys, give' em a spin!

Cheers!!
ALF

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Alf, I'll give it serious consideration.
Unfortunately as far as I can gather, there is no UK distribution, and this is a serious impediment to ownership.
100% love the concept and execution.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm kinda clutching at one last straw re Saskia.
A member on the forum has kindly emailed Win on my behalf re my enquiries.
Let's see what transpires.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing