Saskia 2 Reference tt

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I would take a EMT 927 over the Saskia any day. (...)

The EMT 927 is the kind of product that can be an exception to our prudence rules in audio. It is exceptionally well designed, and every aspect of it is logical and well understood - it is extensively documented in the net, I have spent some late night time just researching it for the fun of knowing about it. And knowing that after 50 years it is still being supported and used by many users gives us confidence.
The only think that prevented me from getting one is the current price - I could have got a mint one at less than half what is being asked now a three years ago, I do not feel comfortable paying such high price nowadays!

BTW, if it was not for distance and logistics, this turntable would probably be sitting in my system:
http://www.audio-markt.de/_markt/item.php?id=0451852181& - Spiritofmusic, this looks to be the bargain of the century at GBP 20000! :)

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 179

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
It is exceptionally well designed, and every aspect of it is logical and well understood - it is extensively documented in the net, I have spent some late night time just researching it for the fun of knowing about it. And knowing that after 50 years it is still being supported and used by many users gives us confidence.

I have once spent 7 months of my life servicing and learning my 930. I think I came over all possible problems that can arise and even one of the EMT engineers was learning with me. I can only say its a fantastic design!

And this is the German Apolyt from the 90's right?

Cheers,

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Francisco, yep this one is £50k on FleaBay.
That's a bit out of my remit for the time being.
But when I end up with £50k burning a hole in my back pocket, there would be an interesting choice btwn a 927, a GPA Monaco 2.0, a Kronos Pro, AF2, TW Black Knight, SME 30/12.
I was just hoping Saskia might be there too.

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
GBP50k? Ouch, the prices has jumped up indeed! Few yrs back there was an R80 in Berlin on one of the German vintage audio sites fro about 10k.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
A great design for sure, but when it comes to extreme, my heart leans towards Verdier Magnum, although I've never seen one life.
And the original and the forthcoming AS of course but that is unobtanium.

Cheers,

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Scary stuff.
It seems like this 927 is a genuine low mileage, barely touched example, like a rare Bentley preserved pristinely in a barn find, just needing minimal attention.
£50k suddenly looks like VFM.
This will fetch £100k in ten years, maybe even five.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I think I'll pass on both.
Jarek, I have high hopes yr Stacore Adv will take my soon to be installed tt to new heights (12.5cm off the floor to be exact LOL).
Just awaiting custom Al arm mount from NZ, and two bespoke psus for tt speed controller and Straingauge energiser.
Hoping to be up and running before year end, and then I can report on what I bought my first Stacore to do, isolate the tt.

goheelz

Jun 15, 2016
FYI: Win Tinnon (alleged Saskia turntable manufacturer) posts regularly and recently at Audioasylum (Vinyl) under the user name "mosin."

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
I think I'll pass on both.
Jarek, I have high hopes yr Stacore Adv will take my soon to be installed tt to new heights (12.5cm off the floor to be exact LOL).
Just awaiting custom Al arm mount from NZ, and two bespoke psus for tt speed controller and Straingauge energiser.
Hoping to be up and running before year end, and then I can report on what I bought my first Stacore to do, isolate the tt.

I can promise wonders, but reasonable ones Marc ;)

Cheers,

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Pcosta, that's fairly enlightening. I believe there were issues with the motor speed control psu on the first Saskia - if I'm incorrect Win, please put me straight.
And last thing I heard in my one and only chat with Win 2-3 years ago was that his order books were full.
Reading btwn the lines, maybe things are not so good, but the drive to get new customers isn't there.
Who knows, I don't want to highlight bad karma.
Yes, the EMT 927 looks the killer choice, but what a minefield. More chance however of picking up one rather than an American Sound.

That is my point with the EMT. You can get one, it can be serviced, and the price keeps going up. Saskia I have a feeling is none of those regardless of how good it may sound.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
A great design for sure, but when it comes to extreme, my heart leans towards Verdier Magnum (...)

Good choice. :) One nice aspect of the oversized Verdier Magnum is that the inertia momentum increases with the square power of radius - this 50 cm platter behaves like a 150 Kg one! The whole system weights around 400 kg. I think they are custom made, I do not have the minimum idea of the price.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Francisco, €100k plus.
That's about €2500/kilo!
Yep, I may treat myself with a big ticket tt purchase, but this weight and price tag redefines that phrase.
The 927 could be the one, I'm not sure I have the Cojones to sign off on it!
Jarek, I have very high hopes of the Advanced under my tt. Isoln has proved to be startlingly good under bpt and cdp, and the Accurion active I trialled under my tt a few years back was a definite upstick. No reason to believe this won't happen again.
Not expecting 927- or AS-like performance, just a sound fully competitive with my impvd Eera cdp, and ahead in the areas analog remains greatest at presenting.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Goheelz, I moved away from AA some years back, I'll reinvestigate.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
GBP50k? Ouch, the prices has jumped up indeed! Few yrs back there was an R80 in Berlin on one of the German vintage audio sites fro about 10k.
Must have been on Quoka.de, the German ripoff site :)! Even a middle quality but properly functioning R80 was never that low, even 20 years ago at vinyl's low point.

david

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ah David.
I know I requested info from you re Win and Sakia but you weren't able to fill me in on anything, and pretty much pointed me to the 927.
Can you gauge much from this example for sale? It looks a peach from my perspective of zero knowledge on the EMT.

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
It was a more reputable site, perhaps audio-markt.de ?? But might very much have been a rip off. When fishing my 930 the amount of evident rip offs was just baffling.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Ah David.
I know I requested info from you re Win and Sakia but you weren't able to fill me in on anything, and pretty much pointed me to the 927.
Can you gauge much from this example for sale? It looks a peach from my perspective of zero knowledge on the EMT.

From my own conversations with Win I can tell you that he's very knowledgeable and on the up & up! I know from personal experience that WTB PM's aren't forwarded if one is absent from the site for a certain period of time, I won't hold that against him.

The EMT is a vintage tt for professional use, they were used and abused over the years and IMO the only way to get one is from a reputable dealer or refurbisher otherwise you're rolling the dice! Do what Ked does hearing a 927 in Europe is easy.

David

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
It was a more reputable site, perhaps audio-markt.de ?? But might very much have been a rip off. When fishing my 930 the amount of evident rip offs was just baffling.

Tell me about it, I got shelf full of broken 930's in my storage!

David

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing