I said I would never buy another Turntable...Argh !!!

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Jim used to have the IO Gold - that is not the field coil version. Only the Ltd is afaik. Think there is a Kondo version too.

Halcro

Dec 25, 2012
Latest cheap vintage cart. AT Signet TK7SU circa 1977. Nude Shibata. Sounds great and only $300. Go figure...
You're picking the good ones Christian.....and the Yamamoto HS-4 Carbon Fiber headshell is also a great choice.

I have the TK-7SU but slightly prefer the TK-7CLa with the Line Contact stylus over the Shibata.
P1060195.jpg

Now you need to try the Victor MMs like the X-1IIE
P1070895.jpg

and the Z-1 or Z1 with Jico SAS stylus
P1070580.jpg

and if you think $300 is a good buy......try the Victor 4MD-1X for $120-140
P1100683.jpg

or the 4MD-20X
P1100656.jpg

Both of which sport Shibata styli and were designed with extended frequency range for 4 channel sound :cool:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Latest cheap vintage cart. AT Signet TK7SU circa 1977. Nude Shibata. Sounds great and only $300. Go figure...

I bought one of these 5 months ago but I haven't mounted it yet.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Which non-mm Technics cartridges are you talking about Win, EPS-3xx series?

david

You mean non-mc, correct? Anyway, yes. Also, there are a couple of earlier ones (EPS-MKII) that are good.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
You mean non-mc, correct? Anyway, yes. Also, there are a couple of earlier ones (EPS-MKII) that are good.

No, I was going by what you mentioned I already have several of their great mm carts, I thought you were recommending their mc ones over the mm.

...If, however, you are searching for a non-moving magnet "Holy Grail", I recommend trying one of the better Technics offerings...

david

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I bought one of these 5 months ago but I haven't mounted it yet.

They (Signet tk7su) don't fit in sme headshells. The mount holes are too far back to line up with the headshell screw holes. That I the main reason it's on the other headshell with slots for mount screws.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
They (Signet tk7su) don't fit in sme headshells. The mount holes are too far back to line up with the headshell screw holes. That I the main reason it's on the other headshell with slots for mount screws.

Good to know - thanks.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
No, I was going by what you mentioned I already have several of their great mm carts, I thought you were recommending their mc ones over the mm.

david

Sorry, my mistake. I do like the Technics moving coils, however. The big problem with them is that it is difficult to find one that isn't a low rider. The same applies to SONY moving coils. Anyway, there are quite a few unsung vintage cartridges to be found. There is a vast amount of once touted junk out there, too!

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Sorry, my mistake. I do like the Technics moving coils, however. The big problem with them is that it is difficult to find one that isn't a low rider. The same applies to SONY moving coils. Anyway, there are quite a few unsung vintage cartridges to be found. There is a vast amount of once touted junk out there, too!

Of course :)!

david

Halcro

Dec 25, 2012
Henry, don't those JICO stylus's only last a few hundred hours?
It's true that Jico state that optimum performance lasts 400-600 hours......
But you know, that makes a lot of sense.
The wear on a stylus has to be gradual and anyone that thinks that at 1000 hours, the performance suddenly drops off the cliff, is naive.
The Jico SAS stylus is a Fine Line Contact on a Boron cantilever just like the Atlas and many other high-end cartridges so there is no reason to believe that there will be any differences in the 'wear' or 'life' claims of the different manufacturers.
In fact....one would think that the Jico running at 1.25Gm VTF should last longer than similar stylii running at 1.7-2.5 Gm...?

In any case.......with over 40 cartridges and at least a dozen favourites......I never again expect to find out the true life of a cartridge chez moi....:rolleyes:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
It freaks me out. There seems to be a lot of people running up to 5,000 hrs on the forums?

Seriously, freaks me out. That isn't very long. I thought 1k hrs was more standard.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I had a dream I came upon a bunch of Victor cartridges... ha. Perhaps I'll have them a go for fun.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
it's October 1st. a year ago on this thread I admitted that I did order an AS-2000 from ddk. 6 months ago in March i made a decision to cancel my order. talking to ddk about it, he requested that i keep my decision to not buy it to myself for 6 months. so i did that. it's been hard as i somewhat drew back from posting, particularly on analog threads, as i did not want to lie to people. when i was asked questions about the AS-2000 i pretty much avoided answering them. i apologize to anyone who felt i was not responding.

over the last few months when i was asked about the AS-2000 privately i have admitted i cancelled my order. so maybe this is now common knowledge.....but maybe not. i'm guessing ddk told some people about it but i don't know that he did. i just want to move on from this now and not concern myself.

my reasons for changing my mind were multiple. 50% it was a life choice. 6 months in from the buying decision it was not the right thing for me to spend 6 figures net cash for a turntable. 25% it was that my NVS with the Taiko Tana platform was sounding really fine and, while it was not the AS-2000, it was right up there in my viewpoint with top level turntable performance, and 25% my enjoyment of the MSB Select II digital daily was very fulfilling. ultimately acquiring the AS-2000 would have put too many of my eggs in one basket. this does not mean an AS-2000 would never be a possibility in the future, as who can predict how things might go. i still view it as the top possible choice, and unique and special. this decision was not in any way about thinking less of the AS-2000, it was about my situation and whether it fit for me. i have always been a person who viewed my whole room and system as doing the heavy lifting for the most enjoyable musical experience, and i still have that view.

reading Tang's and Christian's feedback on their AS-2000's is not surprising, and i'm very happy for them and other AS-2000 owners. i'm looking forward to reading Ron's perceptions, and am happy for him about getting his AS-2000 in his new room soon. i have zero negative things to say about ddk or any issue that happened. i did invest in some AS-2000 arm boards i never received, which was not a happy face. but it is what happened. i wish all the very lucky AS-2000 owners all the happiness their tt's can bring them.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Kudos to you Mike for being so honest in your post here.

Tbh, many of us kinda suspected this might be the case w you going "dark" on the matter.

No doubt yr NVS on Taiko Tana isn't chopped liver LOL, and there's a lot to be said for sticking w current tt and maxxing out.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Mike, thanks for the update although you do not owe anyone an explanation.

In the end I am the major benefactor here as Mike sold me his original NVS and it put my vinyl setup on a whole new level.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Mike, it was kinda obvious you had backed out. Did you receive your money back for those arm boards?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for that very classy, thoughtful and explanatory update, Mike!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing