Nasotec Swing Headshell

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Any adopters here of this very unconventional but interesting headshell?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei7NjQ_7QxY

http://www.highendcity.com/swing-headshell/

Intrigue got the better of me (yet again) after discovering this by chance, so an order went in and on return from a trip overseas, it was waiting here for me. I didn't intend installing it just yet as my TT is not fully finished but the other night thought ok, let's just give it a go and spent a couple of hours swapping the Art 9 over and getting the set up spot on with my laser engraved protractor specific to my SAEC WE506/30. Prior I was using SAEC ULS-3x, sintered aluminium oxide which is exremely hard material and very very stiff. This is the top SAEC headshell. Though I have not used any other shell's on my arm, I do have access to several through friends but was always contenet with the ULS-3x, so just stayed with it.

Anyway, the improvent that the Nasotec is claiming is to 'reduce', not eliminate error, from a pivoting arm. There is plenty of technical info on their website about why and what they are aiming at with this. Does it make any difference? Yes, it does. After the first few notes on Tracy Chapmans wonderful debut LP, it was obvious that the claims are backed up with ability. Notes seem to just flow unconstrained, at ease, with what I had considered more background notes, ambience etc coming more to the fore, bass in particular has very good texture and clean decay which really fleshes out the sound. A dozen or more Lp's simply confirm this, and last night, my Antal Dorati-Decca DMM-Stravinsky Rite of Spring sounded better than I have heard before, anywhere, truly captivating from begining to end.

I'm interested if any of you have used this? I know Daytona 600 has, so perhaps add your thoughts?

sony-tts-8000-8.jpg

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Another interesting seems Arche of acoustical System,could be better than this

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Yea used one of these around 18 month's ago. Pretty good, but very fussy to set up. They do have an upgraded version now that a mate of mine said is a lot easier on set up and sounds better.. great to hear you are enjoying it.

I eventually went to the next logical step - tangential tracking with the Thales Simplicity II.

The Arche is nice and very expensive, but does nothing to reduce/eliminate tracking error.

Logically to truly get better sound, go and listen to a tangential tonearm. This is the next true step forward in tonearm design.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I have a Bergmann Sindre with tangential arm air bearing.
Sound seems float in the air

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
They seem a little expensive for what they are, straight out of Asia. Even a healthy markup doesn't really land you that far out. But headshell prices are somewhat of an on going joke, so what are you going to do... just use what works.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
I imagine that the Nasotec gives a taste of what a tangential gives, and is a good option for many vintage arms out there & still in use. Floating with crisp imaging free from speakers is what this brings, possibly not to the level of a good parrallel(?) but very very enjoyable, so much so that the cost is not an issue for what it does.

XV, possibly the original you had didn't have the springs as per the current version? I did read that it was a PITA to set up, though this version like your friend says is not too bad at all, just be patient as always. Looking forward to installing a XV-1s/ Colibri / London Reference as the next step!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I have a Bergmann Sindre with tangential arm air bearing.
Sound seems float in the air

Nice. No need for expensive headshells with that wonderful tonearm.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Hi Scott,

The KL Audio arm is without doubt something I will consider along with the Thales and possibly the Bergmann arm when I do the build of the DP80 that have.

Out of interest, have you used the Nasotec with a London Reference?

Rgds,
Paul

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey guys, save y'self all that extra cash, and splash out all of £800 on the Trans Fi Audio Terminator T3Pro air bearing linear tracker.
If anything can be called a giant killer in audio, this is it.
It doesn't just slay giants, it thumbs it's nose at them, and takes them out at the knees.
There are current owners who've traded SMEs, Grahams, even the Kuzma Airline, for this baby.
I've been running one for a few yrs, and it's a real paradigm shift for me.
Moved from Roksan Artemiz and SME V w VDH internal wiring.
---
Paul and Gian, this arm is a major reason why I may v well stick w my current tt and not move away, the synergy is plain spooky.
Can I really move back to a pivoted, even one as stellar as the SAEC?

Last edited:

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
The ART-9 has been replaced with the new Aidas PanzerHolz Diamond, with which I am extremely impressed. It simply brings so much more music from the LP than the AT did, in such a way that I could be set for a long time with this TT set up..The spec is very high, even at 3x this price, using a solid Sapphire cantilever, fine polished Diamond Stylus, PanzerHolz body, and an unconventional arrangement to secure the cantilever in place that may be more effective than traditionally used. Detail, drive, wonderful clean bass response, air, it's all there, so this is certainly a keeper! The Nasotec is doing it's thing; all four tracking test's on HiFi News LP passed fine, which is a first for me. (yes, even the 4th band..).

tts-aidas-nasotec-3.jpg

tts-aidas-nasotec-7.jpg

Reactions: hongkongfoufou

loki1957

Sep 19, 2012
Santa Fe NM
A Nasotech came on my Integrity hifi true glider. Not sure I like it. It moves back and forth while lowering the arm. Would probably be easier if the arm was on right side of the deck rather than the left side. It's hard to see the lead in groove.

Attachments

• IMG_20210418_125309.jpg
    IMG_20210418_125309.jpg
    512.9 KB · Views: 16

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
I have zero complaints with my Nasotec headshell. I've had for about a week now, using it with a Sumiko Blue Point No3, Ortofon 2M Bronze and Black, and now as of today, an AT-OC9XSL, all on my 43 year old yet mint Technics SL-1700MK2 that my father purchased new back in 1979.

So far, my findings echo that of UK Paul's. For me and my system, the Nasotec headshell is a worthy investment to say the least.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing