Votes: 15 28.3%
  • More than 100

Votes: 20 37.7%

• Total voters

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Certainly true, but over 1/3 buy fewer than 50/yr, and almost 2/3 fewer than 100. I have 12,000+ DVD-A/SACD/CD's, and still find it ridiculously easy to add 100 or more units of excellent music per year.

That's an entire year of listening to music 24/7......

I would think the vast majortity of those have been listened to in whole or in part only once...and likely never will again.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, John. It is for that very reason alone that I try to limit myself to between 50-100 selections a year. I have fallen victim to buying things before that took me well over 2 or 3 years [or more] to actually get around to listening too. I have forced myself this past year to listen to things I have owned for a long time, including those in which I haven't listened to in years, or even decades for that matter. Nowadays, I try to stick to only those selections that come recommended, are highly sought after or things along the line of the Bermester CD's, MSFL, RR, Telarc and the like. Gone are the days of going out and purchasing 30-40 selections over the course of a week.

This way, I can actually enjoy the music as it comes.

Well, that is unless I just so happen to stumble across someone who has what I'm looking for FS in a lot type purchase because many times [IME] they don't know what they have with some of the selections. In that case, the resale of one or two of the selections that I already might have pays for the entire lot of the purchase and in some cases, more. I just don't have the will power to stop myself in that kind of scenario.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
That's an entire year of listening to music 24/7......

I would think the vast majortity of those have been listened to in whole or in part only once...and likely never will again.

A small minority (perhaps 1/3) fall into that category. I listen to music about 40-45 hrs/wk, although admittedly only about 1/2 of that time is actually focused on "listening" as opposed to hearing while also doing something else.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hello, John. It is for that very reason alone that I try to limit myself to between 50-100 selections a year. I have fallen victim to buying things before that took me well over 2 or 3 years [or more] to actually get around to listening too. I have forced myself this past year to listen to things I have owned for a long time, including those in which I haven't listened to in years, or even decades for that matter. Nowadays, I try to stick to only those selections that come recommended, are highly sought after or things along the line of the Bermester CD's, MSFL, RR, Telarc and the like. Gone are the days of going out and purchasing 30-40 selections over the course of a week.

This way, I can actually enjoy the music as it comes.

Well, that is unless I just so happen to stumble across someone who has what I'm looking for FS in a lot type purchase because many times [IME] they don't know what they have with some of the selections. In that case, the resale of one or two of the selections that I already might have pays for the entire lot of the purchase and in some cases, more. I just don't have the will power to stop myself in that kind of scenario.

I think I'm pretty much on the same page as you. In fact, I know I am. Years ago I used to be very good at buying and listening right away, then that petered off and I came to eventually recognize that I was buying for the sake of buying. That has now stopped. I'm back to buying and listening, although it may take day or a week. I also relalize, if I'm being honest, that some of the unopened media will likely remain that way. Time to start selling some of those.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Certainly true, but over 1/3 buy fewer than 50/yr, and almost 2/3 fewer than 100. I have 12,000+ DVD-A/SACD/CD's, and still find it ridiculously easy to add 100 or more units of excellent music per year.

WoW!

Ok, I give you an example here:

Most members are voting in relation to last year's habit (2011). And not over their entire lifetime.
Each one of us we are at a new musical junction in our life, and some of us are spending more today on music software than what we spent few years ago. And the reverse is true for other people; like me for example, who spend much less today than 10-15 years ago for example (but my revenge is on Blu-rays though)!$&$!!!\|/ :eek:

And you have to remember that today with music streaming the world ain't no more what it used to be, right? :b ...And not all of us are in the same financial situation than another time in space and reality ... And look at the prices for some quality records (LPs, vinyls, albums, ...)!!! They aren't five bucks a piece like they used to be at your local Woolworth (or was it Woodwards?) store in 1955 through 1965. Make that ten times greater now! Or you can buy LPs for a buck each,
at the thrift store, but Petula Clark with few scratches. :D

But there are some people who have a larger investment into their electronic gear than the music itself. But then, it is a class of people within a certain group.

In general, people who have a substantial investment in their electronics and loudspeakers, over the years, have also a substantial investment in their music collections, also over the years.

Sit down just for a few minutes (perhaps even an hour), and try to figure out all the money you spent over your lifetime in the music software in relation to the music hardware. Few people would be greatly surprised, and if they would tell their wifes, or girlfriends, and other members of their family, they would probably get beat up! ...Into some serious arguments! :b
Most of us we've been there already, and we live with it (we learned to).
...It's part of this hobby, just like car's collectors.

Ya? :b

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
You present some good points Bob!

Speaking only for myself, I am NOT a collector..I buy to listen, although I did get caught up in that for a period.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
You present some good points Bob!

Speaking only for myself, I am NOT a collector..I buy to listen, although I did get caught up in that for a period.

Pretty obviously, if I'm buying 100 items per year (last year was probably around 150-200), I'm buying a lot less than I used to. And I've always spent much more on software than hardware, especially back in the LP days, when even the most expensive hardware was cheap compared to today's, while the software was more expensive than today's. Also, there is an astonishing amount of free music out there, at www.archive.org, at the non-copyright torrent sites, and at artists' websites (some do give away 256k and 320k MP3's).

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
A small minority (perhaps 1/3) fall into that category. I listen to music about 40-45 hrs/wk, although admittedly only about 1/2 of that time is actually focused on "listening" as opposed to hearing while also doing something else.

It's called 'Active' (addictive) versus 'Passive' listening. :b

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Pretty obviously, if I'm buying 100 items per year (last year was probably around 150-200), I'm buying a lot less than I used to. And I've always spent much more on software than hardware, especially back in the LP days, when even the most expensive hardware was cheap compared to today's, while the software was more expensive than today's. Also, there is an astonishing amount of free music out there, at www.archive.org, at the non-copyright torrent sites, and at artists' websites (some do give away 256k and 320k MP3's).

How was the software more expensive than today?

And yes, I've downloaded some free stuff from labels and artists' websites, but only a small percent as I'm not interested in a lot of the free stuff. I see your point though.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
A music collector is an 'investisseur' (businessman).

Most of us we became music collectors by accident, not necessity. :b
{When I buy music it ain't for my collection, but for my aural pleasure.}

I don't collect nothing but dust! :D ...And that's where I'll end up to! ;)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I buy maybe 2 lp s a month some used some new , i havent bought a cd /sacd for about 5 years now , i still have them but rarely play them .
I dont need much more lps because the best music is from the sixties and seventies and i am loaded on ac /dc iron maiden deep purple fleetwoodmac etc etc and alot of jazz gypsy /flamenco and classical from that time .
I also like to buy old spoken history documentairies on lp .
I do buy a lot of blu ray / dvds lately
Edit :CD /Sacd , yes i once for a very short while had a wadia 581 (never again)

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I buy maybe 2 lp s a month some used some new , i havent bought a cd /sacd for about 5 years now , i still have them but rarely play them .
I dont need much more lps because the best music is from the sixties and seventies and i am loaded on ac /dc iron maiden deep purple fleetwoodmac etc etc and alot of jazz gypsy /flamenco and classical from that time .
I also like to buy old spoken history documentairies on lp .
I do buy a lot of blu ray / dvds lately

I love Blu-rays. Have about 170 of them with about 50-60 just concerts.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
How was the software more expensive than today?

In 1980, a typical mass-market LP street price was about $8 (equivalent to about $25-30 today). In 1990, a typical CD street price was $12-15 (about $25-30 today). Today's typical CD price is ~$10-12, and much much less for many classical CD's. At all times, audiophile-type media has been more expensive than the prices I mention, but still much cheaper today in equivalent dollars.

In 1980, about the most expensive audio system you could buy (2 speakers, T-table/arm/cartridge, pre-amp and amp; no premium cables were around) would probably run you about $25k, or say $75k in today's dollars. Obviously you can't touch even 2 speakers (at the top-end) for that today.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
In 1980, a typical mass-market LP street price was about $8 (equivalent to about $25-30 today). In 1990, a typical CD street price was $12-15 (about $25-30 today). Today's typical CD price is ~$10-12, and much much less for many classical CD's. At all times, audiophile-type media has been more expensive than the prices I mention, but still much cheaper today in equivalent dollars.

In 1980, about the most expensive audio system you could buy (2 speakers, T-table/arm/cartridge, pre-amp and amp; no premium cables were around) would probably run you about $25k, or say $75k in today's dollars. Obviously you can't touch even 2 speakers (at the top-end) for that today.

Thanks for the breakdown Robert. It was a little different in Canada, as prices tended to be higher (and still are for vinyl, though not so much CD). Let me refrain from mentioning the high-end in gear as I don't play in that league. Some guys here have cables that are worth more than my entire system!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
...Let me refrain from mentioning the high-end in gear as I don't play in that league...

Nor do I, but I do a fair job of being aware of what's out there and how it sounds (as much as you can from dealer and show set-ups)

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
i purchased 400+ recordings last year split roughly half Lp and CD, its more than i usually buy but this is a ramp up year of sorts and playing catch up as well. going forward i will buy very few LPs and focus more on used red book CDs some SACDs and 24/96 downloads. even though im still a noob at computer audio im totally smitten by it and the possibilties. i cant wait to rip all my music - including many LPs - with a sever-based front-end and be done with physical media.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Did some of you guys ever tried to figure out how much weight total you have on Music & Movies software? ...I mean the real weight (total number of pounds) that is?

It is simply incredible!

* I'm talkin' 'bout all you records (33 1/3s, 45s, and 78s), plus all your CDs, SACDs, DADs, SADs, DVD-Audios, Mini-Discs...
Plus all your R2R tapes, DAT tapes, cassette tapes, 8-track tapes...
Plus all your VHS tapes, Laserdiscs, DVDs, HD DVDs, Blu-rays, 8mm films, 16mm films, 35mm films...

Your PC or MAC weights a thousand (million) times (at least) less! :b

How much music do you buy per year (by the pound: weight)? ;)

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Does this mean we are due for a How much are we weighing tonight thread?:eek::D

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Does this mean we are due for a How much are we weighing tonight thread?:eek::D

No Ron, it just means what it meant. :b

* Numbers are fun statistics, and numbers come in all forms:
temperature, weight, dollar, frequency response, distortion, noise, bla-bla-bla ... :D

richr

Jun 11, 2010
It would be interesting to have overall totals broken out by media type with downloads added.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing