What was the first tweak (other than tube rolling)?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Other than tube rollling, what was the first tweak that was marketed to audiophiles?

Cables, electricity, vibration control, others?

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Hmmmm--I can recall Bob Fultons cables when I first heard them--Tweaks per se?--ah Tiptoes?

Interested to see what comes up:b

BruceD

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Footers, racks, power upgradea

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Electricity? Weren't the old gramophones hand cranked?

Tom

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Speakers stands AFAIK They got the bookshelf speakers off of the bookshelves, stands for Quads and 801s too. Tip toes came in a little later perhaps? I was but a child LOL

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Electricity? Weren't the old gramophones hand cranked?

Tom
Mine is. My modern stereo uses electricity.
10 AWG OFC cord to a heavy acrylic/corian power strip. Polished and Deox grounds with #1 grounding conductor. Bottom entry to panel. No other conductors within 6 inches of audio power leads. Accept for the neutral which is a #4 from the main grounded conductor to my cord termination in the panel. Parallel #10 silver coated mill spec copper ground wire for a total of 8 awg ground from panel to power strip.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Spock got me going on all the tweeks I have applied one day. I think I have maybe 12 or more. All fine tuning my audio system. Linear PS on Routers, modems, switches, Bluejeans Cat 6 throughout. Room acoustic panels. placement of furniture when I listen seriously. Racking and footers went through many iterations. AddPower and Akiko power conditioners. Tried 5 ior 6 other brands. All sorts of adjustments to my PAP Trio 15 horn speakers to get them as good as they can be. Cabling isolation. Power as noted above. Power is so critical. So is grounding.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
In the UK two decades ago, I always remember the 90/10 rule, no more than 10% on cables, stands etc. Indeed most people went 95/5 or even 99/1. Some £10-20k systems in the 80s (a small fortune then) literally used Tandy wire and coffee tables.

Then in 90s, Mana stands came along, w their stackable glass/steel stands. One could stack a dozen "shelves" under a Linn LP12 or Naim cdp. Extended obviously to phonos, amps.

This was the first product I remember to destroy the 90/10 rule.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Im sorry, I did not see the "Marketed to Audiophile". Monster Cable.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Monster cable!!!! God, I nearly bought into that. I remember a friend going "should be renamed - marketed to saps!".

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Monster cable!!!! God, I nearly bought into that. I remember a friend going "should be renamed - marketed to saps!".
What do you mean. Do you still use zip cord? I believe cables matter. But that is me. I have not been involved in blind this that and the other. What I do know is weeks after insertion of a new product, does my stereo stop me in my tracks and make me listen with rapt attention. That in my book is how to know if what you did was right.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing