Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Techdas Air Force 3 VS Clearaudio Master Innovation

Techdas Air Force 3 VS Clearaudio Master Innovation

Which would you get and why? I am toying with the idea of one of these two. Not sure what their relative strengths and weaknesses would be though.

Name:  IMG_2723.JPG
Views: 1369
Size:  213.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2724.JPG
Views: 1236
Size:  182.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2725.JPG
Views: 1381
Size:  544.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2726.JPG
Views: 1541
Size:  181.6 KB

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    I will not speak of sound quality because I am a dealer of one and the dealer of the other is a good friend. I will however speak of what I can think of other than that.

No. of arms : draw. The TD may allow 4 but that fourth arm on any table, including the TD, is scary to use and an accident waiting to happen IMO
    Footprint: draw
    Rack Space: CA, it doesn't require a big control, pump box
    Ease of Use without disc flattening : draw.Both have speed select at the push of a button. Slight advantage to TD for having controls on front panel and more visible in low light conditions
    With disc flattening (vacuum vs ring). : TechDAS due to a press of a button vs mounting of periphery ring> TD VH leaves records flatter too.
    Ease of Set Up, Mechanical : TechDAS, minimal assembled required
    Ease of Set Up, electronic (speed calibration): TechDAS. due to belt tensioner system vs CA's special tool, a flashlight, your reading glasses, a strobe and test disc and a trip to the chiropractor (both optical, microprocessor controlled)
    Drive system: Air Bearing Belt vs Magnetic Drive: Draw (debatable but I can't be conclusive)
    Platter Damping: Vacuum Chamber vs Multi-Material CLD : TechDAS, can't think of another brand where you can tap on a playing record with little sound coming out of the speakers
    Scalability and Upgradability: CA
    Sexy factor: CA especially with the option for owner's name engraved

All I can think of for now
    Disclosure of Industry Participation

Co-Founder and Managing Director PureSound PH - Exclusive Distributor (Philippines only) of Lamm, Von Schweikert Audio, CH Precision, Light Harmonic, Valvet, Townshend, Critical Mass Systems, EERA, KR Audio, Ambience SS, TechDAS, Master Built, Stromtank

Quote Originally Posted by JackD201 View Post
    I will not speak of sound quality because I am a dealer of one and the dealer of the other is a good friend. I will however speak of what I can think of other than that.
    No. of arms : draw
    I thought CA can have only two and know that AF-3 is good four arms.

david
    Industry Representation: Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformer, Venta Airwasher
    Unique Items: Vintage Horn Speakers
    Distribution: NEODIO
    Manufacturer: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack
    Special Sales: van den Hul
    System 1: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 1
    System 2: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 2- Near field setup

Italian distributor of techdas sold 3 AF3 and take back from customers One big Kuzma,One Brinkmann Balance and one Monaco GP
    I don't know if sound of AF3 is better or customers bought AF3 for his beauty or possibility to use 4 arms

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! rockitman's Avatar
    I own a CA Master innovation and the AF1. As good as the CA sounds, traditional hard bearing TT's cannot compete with the low rolling noise floor air bearings provide. I love vacuum hold-down so my records are dead flat during playback. Had the AF3 been out when I bought the Master Innovation, I would of opted for AF3.
    Christian

System Gear

No. of arms : draw. The TD may allow 4 but that fourth arm on any table, including the TD, is scary to use and an accident waiting to happen IMO
    Footprint: draw
    Rack Space: CA, it doesn't require a big control, pump box
    Ease of Use without disc flattening : draw.Both have speed select at the push of a button. Slight advantage to TD for having controls on front panel and more visible in low light conditions
    With disc flattening (vacuum vs ring). : TechDAS due to a press of a button vs mounting of periphery ring> TD VH leaves records flatter too.
    Ease of Set Up, Mechanical : TechDAS, minimal assembled required
    Ease of Set Up, electronic (speed calibration): TechDAS. due to belt tensioner system vs CA's special tool, a flashlight, your reading glasses, a strobe and test disc and a trip to the chiropractor (both optical, microprocessor controlled)
    Drive system: Air Bearing Belt vs Magnetic Drive: Draw (debatable but I can't be conclusive)
    Platter Damping: Vacuum Chamber vs Multi-Material CLD : TechDAS, can't think of another brand where you can tap on a playing record with little sound coming out of the speakers
    Scalability and Upgradability: CA
    Sexy factor: CA especially with the option for owner's name engraved

All I can think of for now
    Thanks Jack. Great pros and cons list. At the end of the day I think both tables would sound great. Long term maintenance does concern me with pumps and the like although it seems as though the techdas one is pretty reliable. 3 arms on either table is more than enough and would necessitate me adding a phonostage or changing in my AR Ref 2. My main concern is whether the vacuum pump robs the table of its musicality or not. I guess this it's good to have this dilemma!

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    I thought CA can have only two and know that AF-3 is good four arms.

david
    I thought the CA could do 3. I figured draw because front left mount was always tricky for me. I guess you are right though

No. of arms: TechDAS
    Disclosure of Industry Participation

Co-Founder and Managing Director PureSound PH - Exclusive Distributor (Philippines only) of Lamm, Von Schweikert Audio, CH Precision, Light Harmonic, Valvet, Townshend, Critical Mass Systems, EERA, KR Audio, Ambience SS, TechDAS, Master Built, Stromtank

Quote Originally Posted by rockitman View Post
    I own a CA Master innovation and the AF1. As good as the CA sounds, traditional hard bearing TT's cannot compete with the low rolling noise floor air bearings provide. I love vacuum hold-down so my records are dead flat during playback. Had the AF3 been out when I bought the Master Innovation, I would of opted for AF3.
    Thanks Christian. Good to know coming from someone with both brands to play with. One question, does the CA need a peripheral ring and/or clamp?

Thanks

Howie

I thought the CA could do 3. I figured draw because front left mount was always tricky for me. I guess you are right though

No. of arms: TechDAS
    CA can do 3. AF3 can do 4.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! rockitman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post
    Thanks Christian. Good to know coming from someone with both brands to play with. One question, does the CA need a peripheral ring and/or clamp?

Thanks

Howie
    The other thing with the Clearaudio...you need to buy the ACCU+ battery power supply for the TT to use instead of the stock wall wart plug. It makes the motor noticeably quieter and adds $2,300 to the price approx.
    Christian

System Gear

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast