Pacific dac: Lampizator's new top of the line dac

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
This makes very little sense to me. The whole Lampi cult is clamoring for information on the Pacific that is way overdue, the show finally arrives and he sets up in a hallway???? Why would Lucasz do such a thing?
You need partners to afford Munich properly...expensive!

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
From this forum..I joined since June 2016 because of GG. LOL..I received my GG on August 2016. I have been following many threats about GG when it was still a hype. Now I am following on Pacific threat. :)

LoL, I think AL was the major initial pusher of the Tak recti.

I think your tube complement will work well with the Pac!

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Likely on account if the sizeable costs of exhibiting in Munich.

If you can't get a reasonable set up why bother; particularly when you just come off of Axpona where you had guys like Myles Astor saying: "One thing, though, that struck me the longer I listened was the loss of detail: recordings where just too smoothed over."

And now you have people (ferrox's friend) describing it as: "One said..awful" and even one of the cult's most ardent members saying "I didn't even bother." Something is very odd about this situation.

Attachments

• Lampi 1.jpg
    Lampi 1.jpg
    505.1 KB · Views: 184

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This is just trouble fomenting post, nothing to see here. Call cult, ardent member, refer to another show comment. Like I posted maybe a 100 times, why do people try to assess electronics at audio shows? Do your homework outside the show. A show is a fun place to go and hang out, and if you are lucky, find something you can explore further.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
This is just trouble fomenting post, nothing to see here. Call cult, ardent member, refer to another show comment. Like I posted maybe a 100 times, why do people try to assess electronics at audio shows? Do your homework outside the show. A show is a fun place to go and hang out, and if you are lucky, find something you can explore further.

I guess that's the conclusion you can make if you consider "trouble fomenting" to be anything that attempts to address Lampi being something other than absolute perfection.

To be clear, I did not mean "cult" to be used in a negative context just to note that Lampi has a group of very supportive fans. More so than most brands IMO. But that's a distraction from the main point, which is why the problem at shows seems to be continuing. I think you probably have had to defend their performance at shows a 100 times for this very reason. Anytime someone doesn't like what Myles describes in his post the arguement always seems to be its either due to "show conditions" or it's because you "gotta roll the tubes" as opposed to some people just prefer less distortion and sharper transients. All that said, I don't understand why anyone would display actively at a show if you are going to sound so poorly. It doesn't seem real smart.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Regarding Myles comments and I know him there must have been something he did not like. But Myles is an analog person no matter what he says it’s analog and I get that. As for details wait for my review there is no smoothing and a tremendous amount of details. Micro and macro and dynamics are Dramatic yet not being shouted at you. It’s your are there if your system can make this happen. As for analog sounding this dac has transparency that allows for the variations in each track. as the the voices are sang and instruments are played the smallest details around each note are there.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Regarding Myles comments and I know him there must have been something he did not like. But Myles is an analog person no matter what he says it’s analog and I get that. As for details wait for my review there is no smoothing and a tremendous amount of details. Micro and macro and dynamics are Dramatic yet not being shouted at you. It’s your are there if your system can make this happen. As for analog sounding this dac has transparency that allows for the variations in each track. as the the voices are sang and instruments are played the smallest details around each note are there.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I guess that's the conclusion you can make if you consider "trouble fomenting" to be anything that attempts to address Lampi being something other than absolute perfection.

To be clear, I did not mean "cult" to be used in a negative context just to note that Lampi has a group of very supportive fans. More so than most brands IMO. But that's a distraction from the main point, which is why the problem at shows seems to be continuing. I think you probably have had to defend their performance at shows a 100 times for this very reason. Anytime someone doesn't like what Myles describes in his post the arguement always seems to be its either due to "show conditions" or it's because you "gotta roll the tubes" as opposed to some people just prefer less distortion and sharper transients. All that said, I don't understand why anyone would display actively at a show if you are going to sound so poorly. It doesn't seem real smart.
I do agree the shows setup should be done well.
If I may ask you a few questions about your setup
What is the source for the Msb dac ?
How do rate your digital to your anaolog setup.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I do agree the shows setup should be done well.
If I may ask you a few questions about your setup
What is the source for the Msb dac ?
How do rate your digital to your anaolog setup.

I am currently spinning CD's while waiting for a new MSB renderer. Over the years I have generally preferred vinyl but the Reference is giving my analog a run for the money. I guess, however, right now, if I had to choose one it would still be vinyl but it's getting close.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I have never heard the antipods. Are they linux OS ?
I have had many servers and I build them too
Linux is fast but seems unnatural in decay.
For me windows SER 2016 ina two pc setup is best.
I also use a CUST synology nas as well.
Player pc steams to dac pc isolated network lan ports
I use usb with a power cutter that even cuts the shield as well
My Msb must have the dc handshake so no cutter
Usb gets a bad rap these days far more than in the past it seems to be a must have now. I have a Nuc and a HB both sound fine and don’t add or take away anything I can hear.
One concept to consider in your pursuit is this
Roon server and HQ player must be on separate pcs for best sound.
In Linux you need less horsepower and can do both with less downside but then you have a Linux sound
Faster decay less weight. I like a one device setup but I have not found a way to get the sound of two in windows
My Msb has both renderer and steamier the umtplus does this on its own to dac or any proper dac non usb of course
A good friend at munic had a few dacs in his room , he is a lampi Guy as well. He called me excited to be getting a loaner of your dac
He has a two pc setup as above. I told him Msb is a very different sound over all.
He called me back hating it I laughed at him. As I own Msb and can play a few dacs daily.
I think from a technology standpoint Msb is a working marvel and there new sel 2 is a great up tic of the past
But a lampi dac has a sound that once you hear it done right ina setup its a wonderful moment.
Tube rolling gets you there. Woth an Msb it’s one sound only this is where i part in dacs. The sel 2 has a new redbook pcm filter to die for does your ref man have it as well ?

For me as of now the pacific checks all the boxes and the Msb gets further from what I like.
Before you buy antipods find someone with a good win SER 2026 setup. SGM is win 10 as is most all severs made from windows
Win 10 is the worst of the win OS severs and I know they all use there own CUST win 10’
I have had all of them and versions no one has. Win 2012 beats 10 always and 2016 bests all of them
The issue for the non SER makers is the complexity in making one. It’s tough no doubt and it’s a team effort too. But once done the rest seem pale in sound.
Thanks for your replies

Ps this was just given to me from my friend above who has a room at the show.

fing great, msb upsampled with usb reclocker is good enough but far from lampi

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I have never heard the antipods. Are they linux OS ?
I have had many servers and I build them too
Linux is fast but seems unnatural in decay.
For me windows SER 2016 ina two pc setup is best.
I also use a CUST synology nas as well.
Player pc steams to dac pc isolated network lan ports
I use usb with a power cutter that even cuts the shield as well
My Msb must have the dc handshake so no cutter
Usb gets a bad rap these days far more than in the past it seems to be a must have now. I have a Nuc and a HB both sound fine and don’t add or take away anything I can hear.
One concept to consider in your pursuit is this
Roon server and HQ player must be on separate pcs for best sound.
In Linux you need less horsepower and can do both with less downside but then you have a Linux sound
Faster decay less weight. I like a one device setup but I have not found a way to get the sound of two in windows
My Msb has both renderer and steamier the umtplus does this on its own to dac or any proper dac non usb of course
A good friend at munic had a few dacs in his room , he is a lampi Guy as well. He called me excited to be getting a loaner of your dac
He has a two pc setup as above. I told him Msb is a very different sound over all.
He called me back hating it I laughed at him. As I own Msb and can play a few dacs daily.
I think from a technology standpoint Msb is a working marvel and there new sel 2 is a great up tic of the past
But a lampi dac has a sound that once you hear it done right ina setup its a wonderful moment.
Tube rolling gets you there. Woth an Msb it’s one sound only this is where i part in dacs. The sel 2 has a new redbook pcm filter to die for does your ref man have it as well ?

For me as of now the pacific checks all the boxes and the Msb gets further from what I like.
Before you buy antipods find someone with a good win SER 2026 setup. SGM is win 10 as is most all severs made from windows
Win 10 is the worst of the win OS severs and I know they all use there own CUST win 10’
I have had all of them and versions no one has. Win 2012 beats 10 always and 2016 bests all of them
The issue for the non SER makers is the complexity in making one. It’s tough no doubt and it’s a team effort too. But once done the rest seem pale in sound.
Thanks for your replies

Ps this was just given to me from my friend above who has a room at the show.

fing great, msb upsampled with usb reclocker is good enough but far from lampi

I don't like USB. My MSB prefers native sampling rate. This hobby is a very personal thing. That was and still is my primary point.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Of course it’s the overall point in this really.
When you get your renderer do try some variation in servers there is a big change in sound of witch you must like.
I don’t sell any products period so know this conversation is purely for information.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
My linux fanless PC sounds much better than windows or mac machines

dave, it depends on which windows and how its implemented. at this momet, windows server 16 is top of the food chain.
DMS is north uk and would be willing to come to your house and do an in house demo...as he already said he would do it on the Continent if asked.

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
A cool picture from the first 'fully Pacific' system which was delivered last week.

AllinPac.jpg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks Norman - not familiar with DMS?

There is a guy called Lukasz Domansky in Leeds who is making a server. DMS. It was with MSB and kronzilla and vivid G3 at Munich and was one of the top two best small rooms at the show. The kronzilla was fantastic. The other good small room was primary control, Opus, airtight, wolf von langa.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
There is a guy called Lukasz Domansky in Leeds who is making a server. DMS. It was with MSB and kronzilla and vivid G3 at Munich and was one of the top two best small rooms at the show. The kronzilla was fantastic. The other good small room was primary control, Opus, airtight, wolf von langa.

The WVL room was not good sounding with the small speakers. I didn't get to hear the larger ones with the augmented full range driver...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing