Pacific dac: Lampizator's new top of the line dac

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Yes
for me usb gives me the best sound but must be done well. Usb power cutter and usb iso device I use a shirt block made by empirical audio.
NAA is also a good sound but for me is just behind usb no matter what I do. but again it must be done well.
A good HB fed from a LPS is very good but why add this if it’s not for remote playback. At some point simple wins but if done well network may be close enough

Thank you very much, Al :cool:

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Yes
for me usb gives me the best sound but must be done well. Usb power cutter and usb iso device I use a shirt block made by empirical audio.
NAA is also a good sound but for me is just behind usb no matter what I do. but again it must be done well.
A good HB fed from a LPS is very good but why add this if it’s not for remote playback. At some point simple wins but if done well network may be close enough

Hi Al, thanks for all your advice and experience, as I move into the Lampi world. One problem I have is the nomenclature that you and others use. Lots of acronyms and some terminology with spelling issues.

For example I was trying to find what a "shirt block" was in your post. Finally found out it was a "short block". Not intuitive to me. BTW, Empirical seems not be selling short blocks at the present time.
Also, I looked up NAA in google/wiki and there are about 100 different meanings - neutron activation analysis was the closest I could find to what that might mean.
Finally what is a good HB - I couldn't find anything in wiki that seems appropriate.
I think that LPS is linear power supply and not the plural of vinyl records - that would be LPs.

So for you and the others who are expert in this area, it would be helpful to occasionally clarify a term, and most helpful to spell it correctly, since I am willing to look up something in google. BTW, there are some acronyms, like NOS, which I thought I knew - "new old stock", but also have completely different meanings. I have a NOS DAC (Pacific Microsonics Model Two which is close to 20 years old).

Thanks for all your help and hoping this will make the help even more useful to the hoi polloi.

Larry

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Hi Larry, did you see my whatsapp invitation?

Short Block is a Steve Nugent (Empirical audio) product for USB. NAA is Network Audio attachment ...like a micro or Ultrarendu. A micro (linux) PC between server and Dac.
HB is a Hummingboard, a stripped down mirco PC like a Raspberry Pi, only better for audio as i uses less power and has less accessories that can screw up music reproduction.

NOS for tubes is as you say and for a Dac it means non-oversampling.

AL must have been using his phone, so typos are inevitable. Ask an you will be explained. Use Whatsapp and explantion wiill be near instant!

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I have orderd the Pacific today. It should be ready in 4 weeks. Can't wait !

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Al does use his phone lol. I am sorry I should spell check better but I do have a condition that changes worlds I see.
When on meds it’s better and I do apologies for my continued mis spellings.
What I can say is I think I can help many as I don’t sell any products and have no affiliation of products other then liking the Lampi DACs
There are others like the short block I’ll try to find one and post a link.
Acronymes are a pain and our lives are filed with them. But as I also have a spelling issue maybe you can understand why I use them.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Adam: Congratulations on what will be a fantastic choice!

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Hi Larry, did you see my whatsapp invitation?

Short Block is a Steve Nugent (Empirical audio) product for USB. NAA is Network Audio attachment ...like a micro or Ultrarendu. A micro (linux) PC between server and Dac.
HB is a Hummingboard, a stripped down mirco PC like a Raspberry Pi, only better for audio as i uses less power and has less accessories that can screw up music reproduction.

NOS for tubes is as you say and for a Dac it means non-oversampling.

AL must have been using his phone, so typos are inevitable. Ask an you will be explained. Use Whatsapp and explantion wiill be near instant!

Hi Norman, I set up my What'sApp that was already on my phone. I'm not sure what to do next. Looks like my family has been using WhatsApp to communicate, since the Chat box seems pretty full of different messages. How do I get to join the Lampi group? Thanks. Larry

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Don't know really where to put this so i decided to plug it in here as it is Pacific related. I just came back from a fantastic few hours spend with Lukasz himself at his premises and in a nutshell it was more than great time spent. We discussed many things (majority out of HiFi world) as he is a really interesting person very easy to talk to.
Of course good part of the visit was dedicated/spent in his demo room where main stage was taken by his monsters from Pacific line (DAC and 211 monoblocks).
Listening to his creations I was honestly quite blown away with the overall presentation. I can't really find better words but in my mind what i heard was somehow a perfect blend of tube mellowness and speed and transparency of SS. System sounds extremely fast, detailed, creating huge soundstage in all directions without anything sticking out or being fatiguing. There are layers and layers of music coming out of the speakers so nicely blended that the overall result is pure magic.
Speakers were his creation FE (can't remember the exact model number) and the source was moded TEAC CD player as the server was packed for the event he is hosting in Warsaw tomorrow.
As I've seen and heard Pac in several systems I was more focused, or better to say, mono blocks took my entire attention as their visual appearance is IMHO totally stunning. If I would not have small kids at home those monsters would be on the top of my shopping list or wishlist send to Santa Claus. Super highly recommended to give them a try if you ever have a chance. Lukasz thanks again! Few pictures are following...

IMG_5278.jpg IMG_5276.jpg IMG_5277.jpg IMG_5288.jpg IMG_5289.jpg

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

Grazer7

Oct 13, 2018
I am seriously considering the purchase of a Pacific DAC. The only thing holding me back is my understanding that the DHT tube filaments are constantly energized, even when the DAC is in standby. I’m not a tube expert, but I believe this does reduce the life of the tubes. I’ve also read the DAC does not have an ON/OFF switch so the only way to defeat this feature is to unplug the DAC or remove tubes when the unit is not in use. For any who have used the Pacific can you confirm whether this is true or not?

If it is true how are you dealing with it? Are you keeping your expensive DHT tubes energized all the time, unplugging the DAC when not in use, removing the tubes when not in use, replacing your expensive DHTs with Inexpensive DHTs when not in use or something else?

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I am seriously considering the purchase of a Pacific DAC. The only thing holding me back is my understanding that the DHT tube filaments are constantly energized, even when the DAC is in standby. I’m not a tube expert, but I believe this does reduce the life of the tubes. I’ve also read the DAC does not have an ON/OFF switch so the only way to defeat this feature is to unplug the DAC or remove tubes when the unit is not in use. For any who have used the Pacific can you confirm whether this is true or not?

If it is true how are you dealing with it? Are you keeping your expensive DHT tubes energized all the time, unplugging the DAC when not in use, removing the tubes when not in use, replacing your expensive DHTs with Inexpensive DHTs when not in use or something else?

There is a power switch on the back of the Pacific. If it is like my Golden Gate, it turns off the power to the DAC. You can also just put the tubes on standby.

Reactions: bonzo75

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Yes there is a powerswitch at the back. It turns off the power completely, i use that allways.
I very much like my Pacific, i think it's a big upgrade over my GG.

Reactions: marslo

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I still have to like the Pacific. I and a few others I know much prefer the GG. So I really need to visit a couple of you guys who found the big upgrade to see why the Pacific is sounding good. A visit is due to AQ anyway to continue listening to the Alieno via digital and now the AF3 premium

Reactions: Jazzhead

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

Fantastic DAC and as the guys above mentioned there is the switch at the back so in general you use it like any other type of gear. On top DHT tubes at the back work at very reduced regime so even being on for extended time will not hurt them much. Recti is the only tube working in full capacity continuously but still on this one number of available options are numerous (quality and price wise). To cut it short - no worries ;)

Reactions: marslo

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
I still have to like the Pacific. I and a few others I know much prefer the GG. So I really need to visit a couple of you guys who found the big upgrade to see why the Pacific is sounding good. A visit is due to AQ anyway to continue listening to the Alieno via digital and now the AF3 premium

Bonzo could you elaborate, why you think the GG is better suited to your listening tastes over the PAC ?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Bonzo could you elaborate, why you think the GG is better suited to your listening tastes over the PAC ?

Better tone more drive more energy better timing better decay better swells just does it all better except slightly less in detail but that does not affect the big picture at all. However I want to listen to another Pac as when Lukasz starts off on something new his models develop over time.

Reactions: Jazzhead

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing