Technics brings back the SP10

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Yes, we've got a few pre-orders, and I've heard from other dealers they've got some too. Right now, it's mostly a 50/50 split between the SP-10 and the full SL-1000 system.
You can fit a second tonearm to the SL-1000 system (a third one too).
I will have a better/closer look at the tonearm today/tomorrow, but it'll be hard without comparing with something else mounted on the same table (won't be able to do that for the event).

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Anyone preorder or thinking of ordered either the SP-10r or SL-1000r? I’m very tempted to, and I’d particularly like the SL-1000r but I’m extremely bummed that the main arm can’t be swapped out (or so it seems). Any thoughts on the quality of the Technics arm? I know it’s 10” and supposedly has better bearings but I can’t imagine it’s that much different than then 1200G arm.

If that's a concern, and it would be for me too, I would suggest simply buying the SP-10RE-S and adding the arm of choice and the plinth of choice...I would have to believe you would end up with a better table anyway at that point. I think the SP-10RE-S with something like a Kuzma 4Point or a Triplanar would be a great way to go.

Benanton

May 1, 2015
If that's a concern, and it would be for me too, I would suggest simply buying the SP-10RE-S and adding the arm of choice and the plinth of choice...I would have to believe you would end up with a better table anyway at that point. I think the SP-10RE-S with something like a Kuzma 4Point or a Triplanar would be a great way to go.

It is a concern. Further I’m sitting on a Schröder CB and Triplanar that aren’t currently in use. I can’t see NOT using at least one of them. I suppose the deciding factor will be the quality of Technics plinth in comparison to whatever aftermarket ones will be available.

Benanton

May 1, 2015
Yes, we've got a few pre-orders, and I've heard from other dealers they've got some too. Right now, it's mostly a 50/50 split between the SP-10 and the full SL-1000 system.
You can fit a second tonearm to the SL-1000 system (a third one too).
I will have a better/closer look at the tonearm today/tomorrow, but it'll be hard without comparing with something else mounted on the same table (won't be able to do that for the event).

Any thoughts as to why Technics is choosing to not sell the plinth without the arm?

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Simplicity, I guess.
And they acknowledge there is a whole cottage industry of plinth manufacturers, and they want to support them.

Benanton

May 1, 2015
Simplicity, I guess.
And they acknowledge there is a whole cottage industry of plinth manufacturers, and they want to support them.

Maybe so. I imagine they'll be third party armboards for the main arm location, much like you can find now for the SL-1200.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Probably, yeah. But you can get armboards from Technics as well, $1299.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I had the pleasure of listening to the new Technics SL1000 yesterday. An interesting TT that brings a lot of music to the analog devotee.
I think the question of the arm is one that could be put to rest....as the standard arm is fine as is...but if one wants, there are up to three other armboards that can be attached.

Last edited:

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Yes, for the 2nd and 3rd arm positions only correct? My understanding is that the Technics arm can't be swapped out.

Yes, you can swap it out, but if you're using the Technics plinth, a new arm might not fit all the way in, as the carving in the plinth was made for the Technics arm. The 2nd/3rd armboards "float" around the plinth, so that isn't an issue there.

Benanton

May 1, 2015
Yes, you can swap it out, but if you're using the Technics plinth, a new arm might not fit all the way in, as the carving in the plinth was made for the Technics arm. The 2nd/3rd armboards "float" around the plinth, so that isn't an issue there.
Ah ok thank you. That’s the info I was looking for.

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
Had a few enjoyable hours with the new SP1000R & audio technica ART1000 this weekend Excellent sounding deck

. View attachment 39031

As I can see, they use a Luxman phono stage.
Do you know that Technics preamplifier and Technics amplifier use network cable to connect them ?
It's digital connection....
For listenning turntable ???
This is a non-sense...

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
What's nonsense is not using a digital phono eq *if* you've decided to go all digital in the signal chain.

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
What's nonsense is not using a digital phono eq *if* you've decided to go all digital in the signal chain.

They say : best sound with digital connection...

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

MikeHorns

Jul 6, 2014
Los Angeles

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Congrats.
Any anxiety on ordering this system sound unheard?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I've already ordered one for my new SP-10R with Lee of Acoustand. Lee is an easy guy to deal with, and he is very detail oriented.

Mike

Do you have this yet? Would luv an udate.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing