Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: IEC inlet surgery - is it worth the hassle?

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!

IEC inlet surgery - is it worth the hassle?

A couple of people in the hobby incl my long suffering cable guy (if you'd known me for a long time like him, you'd understand my comment LOL) are raving about replacement quality IECs to take place of crap quality ones fitted as standard, esp if all other aspects of power taken care of (in my case that means balanced power, dedicated lines, Furutech duplexes, excellent power cords, and soon wholesale fuses upgrades).
    I get the argument, every stock barrier to good power is a barrier to more enjoyment, and why allow a poor IEC to be a bottleneck for quality?
    The problem is that these IECs are not often a simple plug and play upgrade like cables and fuses.
    First, the Furutech NCF Rhodium IECs I've been recommended are bigger than stock IECs requiring labour intensive filing away of chassis aperture to accept.
    Then, there is the case of IECs that are soldered direct to electronics like my Zu sub amps.
    And then the case of filtered IECs where I'm not sure what the replacement should be.
    ---
    So would like opinions from those who've gone ahead, and others that haven't.
    There certainly is near to zero chat on WBF and other forums re this.
    Either it's an overrated upgrade, or an area ripe for investigation.
    Trans Fi Salvation tt & Terminator arm, Soundsmith Straingauge SG200 cart/Eera Tentation cdp/Nat Audio Utopia line stage & SE2SE SET monos w.NOS '48 GE tubes/Zu Definitions 4 spkrs w.Duelund caps & Lundahl transformers/Stacore isolation platforms, Symposium Isis rack & Rollerblocks isolation/Sablon Reservas & Elites cbls/Westwick 8kVA balanced pwr, Oyaides dedicated lines w.Furutech US sockets, SR Black fuses, Entreq Silver Tellus grndng.

They do it all of the time with vintage amps. From what looks like lamp cord to whatever PC they desire. As to whether it's worth it to you? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. On the other hand, if you want some flexibility with the use of different PC's, then what are you waiting for? It has been reported that many of them respond well. YMMV.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

I post my own opinions except when posting as a moderator in green.

Marc, I would urge you to consider Lobotomy surgery instead, a procedure designed to calm a disturbed and troubled mind.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Too late! I've already stumped up for nigh on twenty audiophile fuses

Addicted to Best!
    A Neutrik PowerCon is much better than any IEC chassis connector.
    Kevin

Spirit - you should check out bocchino audio iec chassis mount - they are next level
    I have iec plugs coming and have wall plugs also - best to contact Carmine as web page is not up to date

Cheers
    Phil

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best! DaveC's Avatar
    It's definitely worth it, and it's not very difficult or time consuming to alter the hole in the chassis to accept the Furutech NCF IECs.
    Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio
    zenwaveaudio.com
    dave@zenwaveaudio.com
    Furutech Dealer

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Try wiring a NCF Rhodium IEC female and male in series and introduce in the power supply chain close to the equipment. If you really feel that your audiophile life improves with it and you can not live without it go on with the surgery.

I have done it before for other reasons - equipment that had captive low quality power cables. I only regretted it when later I wanted to sell it. Anyway you can ask some one to build a small external adapter using a 3D printer to place the NCF Rhodium IEC externally without surgery.
    DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack, Metronome Kalista / Kondo KSL DAC, Soundlab A1 Px's , EMT927, SME3012R, ARC Phono 3, ARC REF40, VTL Siegfried II, TA Opus MM2 speaker and signal, TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables, CenterStage footers and Nordost Qkore8's!

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
    A Neutrik PowerCon is much better than any IEC chassis connector.
    Do you have data to support such claim?
    DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack, Metronome Kalista / Kondo KSL DAC, Soundlab A1 Px's , EMT927, SME3012R, ARC Phono 3, ARC REF40, VTL Siegfried II, TA Opus MM2 speaker and signal, TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables, CenterStage footers and Nordost Qkore8's!

Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    Try wiring a NCF Rhodium IEC female and male in series and introduce in the power supply chain close to the equipment. If you really feel that your audiophile life improves with it and you can not live without it go on with the surgery.
    That makes no sense. The benefits would not be fully realized, since the field extension and parasitics are the things changed by the NCF. Therefor you cannot tell unless it is installed.
    Industry Affiliation: Folsom

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast