Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Schroeder, Durand Talea II, and Spiral Groove Centroid

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries

Schroeder, Durand Talea II, and Spiral Groove Centroid

Hi all, looking at tonearms, Schroeder seems to be most revered arm on various forums. Plus he spends his time in the Western Electric room, loves idlers, classical, etc.

On Audiogon in an old thread you will find jazdoc, dmailer, and Doug Deacon (a long time champion of Zyx and Schroeder) preferring Durand Talea II to Schroeder reference, after eulogizing the Schroeder for many years, and Durand is a classical guy too.

Schroeder LT possibly better than the Reference.

And jfrech moved from LT to Spiral Groove Centroid.

Durand Talea II used, and Centroid, are cheaper.

Difficult for most to compare these arms, I guess.

So if anyone has had compares of these with other arms, thoughts welcome. If you don't want to post negative experiences, please PM.
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Member Sponsor [VIP/Donor]
    I know it may sound silly, but I don't like unipivots so while Durand was recommended by several people I opted to stick with a gimbaled Brinkmann (Kuzma was my other alternative).

Obviously MikeL has experience with these arms and prefers the Durand. Albert Porter has had most of these arms and is a Kuzma guy - I assume you have read this:

http://positive-feedback.com/reviews...point-tonearm/

Ultimately at this level, I'm afraid some trial and error is probably required.

Blog Entries
    Wow nice article, thanks, hadn't read that
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Member Sponsor [VIP/Donor]
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    Wow nice article, thanks, hadn't read that
    Hopefully you can hear Albert's room in Dallas sometime - its certainly one of the best in the US, and non-dedicated. With your affinity for vintage TTs, he'd be a great source of info for you.

Addicted to Best!
    Tough to get much on the Spiral Groove Centroid. I have one and have been very satisfied but I have not compared to the other arms you listed. I think If you read the patent granted to Sprial Groove you at least get a sense of the approach to a unipivot with all of the strengths and most of the difficulties being remedied.

No doubt the other arms are fine products. Jfrench is in the best position to discuss at least two of the arms.

The LT is a special arm. But so is the Centroid. The LT takes some set up and a very stable rack. My Grand Prix Audio Rack has some movement to it. Part of the racks design. The LT didn't like how it swayed, it excited the 2 bearings and some wobbling. A pivoted arm like a Tri Planar or Centroid, the pivot moves with the sway of the rack and no issues at all.

The Centroid gives me the quietest, most textures, playback I've had to date. Yes you can hear the LT on the inner and outer groves doing a bit better job.

The Thales Simplicity has me wondering right now. Curious about it. I'll likely upgrade my tt to the 2.0 spec first however...
    Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
    Pre & Amp: Nagra HD Pre & Amp
    Cables: Transparent Magnum Opus on sources, Opus Gen 5 Pre to amps & speaker
    Power Transparent Opus, Opus Source Power Cords & Opus Power Isolators
    Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
    Phono: Grand Prix Monaco 2.0 TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
    Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x4)

Blog Entries
    Interesting point regarding the swaying. Did you such over when you had the atlas? Or did you try the Allaertz as well in both

Blog Entries
    Maybe that's why the Doehmann uses the captive bearing and not the LT because the TT sways on its integrated minus K platform

Quote Originally Posted by jfrech View Post
    The LT is a special arm. But so is the Centroid. The LT takes some set up and a very stable rack. My Grand Prix Audio Rack has some movement to it. Part of the racks design. The LT didn't like how it swayed, it excited the 2 bearings and some wobbling. A pivoted arm like a Tri Planar or Centroid, the pivot moves with the sway of the rack and no issues at all.

The Centroid gives me the quietest, most textures, playback I've had to date. Yes you can hear the LT on the inner and outer groves doing a bit better job.

The Thales Simplicity has me wondering right now. Curious about it. I'll likely upgrade my tt to the 2.0 spec first however...
    Very interesting and thanks for explaining why you changed arms.

imo the Thales Simplicity II is very special and sounds superb on both my belt drive TW Acustic and DD technics SP10 mk3. in fact I will probably end up buying a 2nd Thales arm so one can be on each table.
    Source:TW Raven AC-3 - Thales Simplicity II, Exclusive P3, Technics SP10mk3, Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas SL, Etna SL, Delos, Dynavector XV-1s, Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon DL-S1, ESC'd 103R, Audio Tech AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: TW Acustik/Thoress phono, Accuphase C-37 EQ: ​​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: cj GAT, Amps: cj teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum Stereo, Speakers: Wilson Maxx3 -Townsend Supertweeters

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    Interesting point regarding the swaying. Did you such over when you had the atlas? Or did you try the Allaertz as well in both
    I had the Atlas and Allerts in the LT over time. Both were excellent. I had the Allaerts in the Centroid to start and since moved up to the Goldfinger Statement...
    Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
    Pre & Amp: Nagra HD Pre & Amp
    Cables: Transparent Magnum Opus on sources, Opus Gen 5 Pre to amps & speaker
    Power Transparent Opus, Opus Source Power Cords & Opus Power Isolators
    Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
    Phono: Grand Prix Monaco 2.0 TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
    Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x4)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast