What is the "Go To" amplifiers used with Wilsons? AudioReserch or what others are favorites? ?

earlinarizona

Jul 17, 2010
I often see Audio Research amplifiers with Wilsons and just the other day listened to ALEX with the Audio Research 750 SE and it was smooth and easy to listen to. On the larger XLF and ALEXX what seems to be best or most popular with owners? The Nagra sounded great with the ALEXX in Munich.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The amps which are being used by owners of the X1,X2/XLF I know of:

- Berning Quads Monos
- Lamm ML3 Monos
- Gryphon Colosseum Stereo
- Gryphon Mephisto Monos
- VTL Siegfrieds (audition/shows...not ownership)
- Krell Evo One Monos
- ML Ref 33 Monos
- McIntosh Monos...cannot recall which one
- Tenor 350 Ref Monos
- ARC: I am sure many, many owners use them. I do not know any, but I suspect Microstrip will be considering them given his XLF ARC Ref Anniversary and his regular advice to pair the pre and amp from the same manufacturer.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You need to listen to a SS like Dagostino which is popular (and which I personally love with Wilson), a push pull like VAC or AR 250, a SET like Lamm, KR, or Viva, and pick your choice which direction you want to head in. Then you can explore more.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
Pass Labs
Spectral
Parasound JC-1's

and my personal favorite .............Rogue Audio - Apollo 'Dark'

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I often see Audio Research amplifiers with Wilsons and just the other day listened to ALEX with the Audio Research 750 SE and it was smooth and easy to listen to. On the larger XLF and ALEXX what seems to be best or most popular with owners? The Nagra sounded great with the ALEXX in Munich.

IMHO you can not ask such a general question - depending on Wilson models my preference will swing.

And yes, the ARC 750 is easily a "best choice" - if we can stand the heat and tube replacement hassle and cost. :eek:

Sometimes people choices are dictated by local distribution arrangements - in general Wilson Audio speakers can sound very good with different types of amplifiers, and people get whole "packages".

Many people will disagree with me, but IMHO the source is more imposing of electronic brand than speakers.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I've owned keel 750 Mcx, ARC Ref 600 Mk lll, Lamm Ml2.2 and now the ML 3 Signature. They were all good in their own way. IMHO SET sounds best with Wilson.

My present ML3 Signature is a lifer. It'll be buried with me.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Have one Wilson dealer locally who loves Ayre the most. The other uses D'agostino.

I have heard VTL at the same Ayre dealer on the Yvette and didn't like the combo. I wouldn't consider the ARC 750SE over the 250SE on any Wilson speaker because they don't require the power and the 250SE is a simpler circuit.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I have heard VTL at the same Ayre dealer on the Yvette and didn't like the combo. I wouldn't consider the ARC 750SE over the 250SE on any Wilson speaker because they don't require the power and the 250SE is a simpler circuit.

I had the ARC750 and the ARC250 in my room - unfortunately there was a large difference in sound quality between them. Even at low levels the 750's filled the room in a very different way. As far as I could see the circuits of the 750 and 250 are very similar - both use power tubes to drive the output tubes with cathode coupling - a technique used by McIntosh - but the 750 has a lot more of everything.

But if we do not have the REF750 floating around the REF250 becomes excellent :D - it is one of my possible choices.

Did you like the Ayre with Wilson? I tried the small Ayre AX -5 (not the twenty) integrated in the XLF's and it was a nice sound, plenty of life and enjoyable, but lacking the finesse of the much more expensive Audio Research's. I would like to listen to the Nagra's and Ayre's, but currently it is not possible.

jax4736

Jan 27, 2014
Have one Wilson dealer locally who loves Ayre the most. The other uses D'agostino.

I have heard VTL at the same Ayre dealer on the Yvette and didn't like the combo. I wouldn't consider the ARC 750SE over the 250SE on any Wilson speaker because they don't require the power and the 250SE is a simpler circuit.

Using Ayre MXR Twenty monos, Ayre KXR Twenty, and dCS Vivaldi as my primary source. Very delighted. Tried the Nagra Classic Amp and loved its sound. I'm curious about the Nagra HD monoblocks too.

I'm taking delivery of Alexia Series 2 this Wednesday; will be interesting to hear the improvements in my own room, with my electronics.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Dave uses VTL and D'agostino in his listening room. I've always preferred Pass Labs.

MJB

Mar 10, 2013
I personally use D'Agostino with my Alexias. I would also use ARC or Pass or Doshi or Lamm. VTL, Spectral, Ayre or McIntosh are not my favorites with Wilson. Have not heard the Nagra with Wilson.

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
Dave uses VTL and D'agostino in his listening room. I've always preferred Pass Labs.

The Music Room has D'Agostino, VTL, Parasound, and Nagra amps currently. Others will make visits as checks and balances.

For development in the factory, add Spectral to the list. Again, others rotate in and out.

In dealer events the past 18 months in the US, we have used D'Agostino, ARC, Doshi, VTL, Boulder, McIntosh, Naim, Bryston, Ayre, Constellation, Mytek, Aesthetix, T+A, Moon, and I'm sure some others I am not remembering. Internationally, you could add DarTzeel, Soulution, CH Precision, Krell, etc.

Still there are others that have been more popular in the past including Classe, LAMM, CJ, Mark Levinson, Rowland.

I use a Nagra/Pass combo on Yvettes at home. I've had the Pass since the mid 90's.

As long as the amp drives the speaker properly, just choose the one you prefer.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The Music Room has D'Agostino, VTL, Parasound, and Nagra amps currently. Others will make visits as checks and balances.

For development in the factory, add Spectral to the list. Again, others rotate in and out.

In dealer events the past 18 months in the US, we have used D'Agostino, ARC, Doshi, VTL, Boulder, McIntosh, Naim, Bryston, Ayre, Constellation, Mytek, Aesthetix, T+A, Moon, and I'm sure some others I am not remembering. Internationally, you could add DarTzeel, Soulution, CH Precision, Krell, etc.

Still there are others that have been more popular in the past including Classe, LAMM, CJ, Mark Levinson, Rowland.

I use a Nagra/Pass combo on Yvettes at home. I've had the Pass since the mid 90's.

What type of power cables are you using in the amplifier and particularly in the DCS Vivaldi stack in the Music Room? Any power conditioner?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

We're hosting our Alexia 2 launch event on Tuesday on MSB 204 monoblocks, and they sound amazing on the Alexia 2s! Class A goodness through and through.

During the initial burn-in period, I've hooked up a darTZeel LHC-208 on them, and it was really good, with darTZeel's typically gorgeous midrange intact.

cheers,
alex

MJB

Mar 10, 2013
Great to read the about the many amplification solutions being used with Wilson. I suppose this is a very good endorsement of their designs.

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
We're hosting our Alexia 2 launch event on Tuesday on MSB 204 monoblocks, and they sound amazing on the Alexia 2s! Class A goodness through and through.

During the initial burn-in period, I've hooked up a darTZeel LHC-208 on them, and it was really good, with darTZeel's typically gorgeous midrange intact.

cheers,
alex

Wish I could be there to hear it Alex!

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Yeah it's been a very fun ride so far with the Wilsons, Bill! We're still learning, but it sure is a lot of fun!
Tomorrow Peter will stop by to help us with the final positioning, so that should be quite educational as well...

cheers,
alex

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing