B&W 800 D3 - Impressive

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
I have been fortunate enough to have spent a little bit of time with a friends relatively new (200hrs) 800 D3 this past week, and can only say I have had trouble sleeping, working out how I can get a pair into my system. They have proved to be a real revelation compared to my previous experiences with the top end Bowers & Wilkins speakers. Effortless and utterly clean extension to both high and low end, with the new mid cone proving to be very effective in comparison to the kevlar cone that made B&W so distinctive. I can envisage the 800 or the 802 becoming a part of the family in the future :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have been fortunate enough to have spent a little bit of time with a friends relatively new (200hrs) 800 D3 this past week, and can only say I have had trouble sleeping, working out how I can get a pair into my system. They have proved to be a real revelation compared to my previous experiences with the top end Bowers & Wilkins speakers. Effortless and utterly clean extension to both high and low end, with the new mid cone proving to be very effective in comparison to the kevlar cone that made B&W so distinctive. I can envisage the 800 or the 802 becoming a part of the family in the future :)

The 802 D3 is indeed very good, I have heard it with Naim, burmester, and symphonic line Kraft. It sounded best with the Kraft, and Kraft and B&W is a popular combo in Germany

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
That's good to hear, did you hear 800 D3 at all? I will be arranging a store demo sometime between 803, 802 and 800..

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Never been a fan , so was pleasantly surprised to hear them doing well at Munich with the complete Esoteric Grandiso chain . The D3 series seems to have overcome the shortfalls of the previous B&W 's , pretty competitively priced as well.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That's good to hear, did you hear 800 D3 at all? I will be arranging a store demo sometime between 803, 802 and 800..

No, if it's a weekend let me know

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Heard them in Munich and thought bland but was a very poorly set-up room. Local dealer reckons they need a ton of running in, and really ragging them to loosen them up. Have also heard some interesting comments about how B&W go about designing their bass drivers

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Heard them in Munich and thought bland but was a very poorly set-up room. Local dealer reckons they need a ton of running in, and really ragging them to loosen them up. Have also heard some interesting comments about how B&W go about designing their bass drivers

Was this with the Grandiso chain , agree on the room if it's the same one .

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK

That's surprising unless as you say the pair on show were not fully run in as from what I have heard this makes a big difference. 300 hrs is what it takes apparently..

Certainly a lot of B&W's considerable R&D resources have been involved with the development of this range, and just from the short time I heard the 800's, they have done a great job!

Kedar, will keep you posted.. :)

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017

Yuliy

Apr 28, 2018
Ok.

Tell me please, gentlemen, what is the difference in the sound between B&W 800 D2 and B&W 800 D3 ?

art vandelay

Nov 1, 2017
Ok.

Tell me please, gentlemen, what is the difference in the sound between B&W 800 D2 and B&W 800 D3 ?

Haven't heard them side by side but have heard both in the same listening room. No doubt the 800D3 is better overall. The bass is really clean and defined and the lack of distortion from the bass drivers allows the new continuum to really shine. Overall, the drivers seem to mesh together more perfectly too, so improvements are top to bottom.

I bought 800D2 back in 2013 and I've been tempted to upgrade, but will probably wait until a D4 model is rolled out, which will probably happen in 18 month's time.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
I would think that a D4 may be some way off for B&W, considering the amount of work that went into the D3. The general concensus is that the D3 is as you say much better overall with integration of the mid driver and speed / clean sound with reduced colouration being clearly better.

Yuliy

Apr 28, 2018
Given that they D3 developed for 8 years, I do not think that D4 will be released so quickly.
The mid-driver is very looks like Kevlar, is it really better is playing!?

art vandelay

Nov 1, 2017
Given that they D3 developed for 8 years, I do not think that D4 will be released so quickly.
The mid-driver is very looks like Kevlar, is it really better is playing!?

Timing of a D4 release will to some extent depend on D3 sales and other marketing related strategies, but it was leaked in 2016 that B&W was already working on the 800D4, so the engineers obviously do have a few new tricks up their sleeves. If you look back at the 800 timeline model updates seem to be roughly at 5 year intervals.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing