New 468 monos

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
not sure what reaction from current 458 owners you would expect. who has said they are not interested? only that they are happy now and not driven to jump right on the upgrade. I would hope any $160k retail amp owners would also be happy with what they have and not quick to pull any upgrade trigger.

if one of us had a chance to A/B the new 468's then that changes everything. but short of that it seems to me our perspective would be expected and not 'funny'.

and maybe this is more a reflection of the sincere satisfaction we get from our dart 458's.

My comment did not address only the 458/468 - it was a general one on matters of this hobby. Nice you are vaccinated against upgraditis - I also took the vaccine long ago. But audiophile curiosity has no vaccine ...

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
My comment did not address only the 458/468 - it was a general one on matters of this hobby. Nice you are vaccinated against upgraditis - I also took the vaccine long ago. But audiophile curiosity has no vaccine ...

+1

as you know, my vaccination took some effort. and I have no illusions it is permanent.......as the virus can mutate. and for me it's more life circumstances push me into a state of enjoyment and past that stage of curiosity......the balance of those forces change.

Reactions: Lagonda

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Well spoken! Michael Fremer had the opportunity to test long time the big Boulder, the Ypsilon Hyperion and now the Moon 888. And in spite of all these monoliths have their strength in some disciplines, he always returns to his 458. Despite of 8 year old technology. The overall character is unbeaten. Once you are at the summit, it is hard to rise. Not to imagine how the 468 performs.

I heard the Moons two times at HighEnd Munich. Yes, not easy conditions. But the 888 player very impressive. Especially at weakend, once broken in. Made really fun, the grip and punch they made. But I don't hear only at full speed. The musical magic of my 458 I won't miss.

And yes, once I will update to 468. But I don't feel pressure or suffer. Maybe next year (or the year after next ...)

But I don't hear only at full speed

how true. :)

redandgold

Jun 3, 2018
Sometimes things are very simple. If you are the happy owner of the (in your opinion) best power amp of the world, what do you want more??? E.g. in my case I heard and compared a lot of staff for two years and never found a better match for my taste. I am still happy with my decision.

That doesn‘t mean there maybe exist an over all better machine like the 468 (very probably it will not be worse, probably it will be better). But pressure to instantly upgrade I don‘t feel. The amp is really not the weakest link in the chain.

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
NHB-468 is reviewed in the new issue of Stereophile (i.e. November 2019). Wondering if anyone has read it yet....my digital copy hasn't arrived yet?

Reactions: Bodhi

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
NHB-468 is reviewed in the new issue of Stereophile (i.e. November 2019). Wondering if anyone has read it yet....my digital copy hasn't arrived yet?

Almost afraid to read it, especially if it has a direct A/B with the 458/468.

I suppose I must surrender to the entity and just let it happen. I’m surprised I’ve resisted this long. The 458’s are just so good....

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
I think Herve tends to under-sell his upgrades so I am expecting a significant improvement....no idea in what areas though!!! Please do share once you have read the review as it will a few days before digital version arrives. Thanks

redandgold

Jun 3, 2018

I suppose I must surrender to the entity and just let it happen. I’m surprised I’ve resisted this long. The 458’s are just so good....
Me too... with my 458 I don‘t miss anything. Really nothing. Fear to hear the 468 are a step forward and it begins itching me to hear them. :eek::cool:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

You know you are going to get the upgrade someday! :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

It is why we should get any upgrades as soon as possible! :cool: Why waiting and pretending we do not need them? ;)

Reactions: christoph

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
It is why we should get any upgrades as soon as possible! :cool: Why waiting and pretending we do not need them? ;)

my piggy bank is not bottomless. i feed it then fund from it.....keeping the SWMBO happy along the way.

spent a couple of years doing the digital, now i'm on the vinyl, my King Cello is being upgraded for my RTR's, could amps be on the horizon?

my ears are what sets my priorities, and amps were the last thing i felt needed work.

which is why i'm afraid to read that damn review.:eek::eek::eek:o_Oo_Oo_O

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
my piggy bank is not bottomless. i feed it then fund from it.....keeping the SWMBO happy along the way.

spent a couple of years doing the digital, now i'm on the vinyl, my King Cello is being upgraded for my RTR's, could amps be on the horizon?

my ears are what sets my priorities, and amps were the last thing i felt needed work.

which is why i'm afraid to read that damn review.:eek::eek::eek:o_Oo_Oo_O
You have already used up a pen full of piggies Mike, time to slaughter one
more:)

Reactions: christoph

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
You know there likely was never any real question. :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Mike,

Let us imagine a different situation. Suppose MF considered the upgrade was not worth getting.

Would you desire it less? ;)

Reactions: ack

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike,

Let us imagine a different situation. Suppose MF considered the upgrade was not worth getting.

Would you desire it less? ;)

I already had direct feedback from a few 458->468 owners about the differences. And so was most of the way in the bag. This was the proverbial last straw.....to the inevitable conclusion.

there was zero chance Fremer was going thumbs down here. I’ve spent lots of time with the series 2 108 so get the type of difference.

I can’t really say how it would have effected me if it would have been different from Fremer. You ask a fair question.

Not very many things left to push my system farther on the path I’ve chosen.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats, Mike...a decision you are unlikely to regret...and all of us will no doubt vicariously enjoy!!! ;) On my own scale, I have not looked back after going from Colosseum to Mephisto, nor from CJ GAT 1 to GAT 2. Not one bit. Great designers make real upgrades...and for those fans of the original, it can be a great treat to get the upgrade since you've already 'invested' in the original already.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Congrats, Mike...a decision you are unlikely to regret...and all of us will no doubt vicariously enjoy!!! ;) On my own scale, I have not looked back after going from Colosseum to Mephisto, nor from CJ GAT 1 to GAT 2. Not one bit. Great designers make real upgrades...and for those fans of the original, it can be a great treat to get the upgrade since you've already 'invested' in the original already.

my only caveat is the level of satisfaction at what i hear every day from my current amps. they are crazy good. my ears are not asking for better. just how significant would the upgrade be?

it's why the A/B/A/B Fremer was able to do, that others doing the upgrade could not do, that did make a difference to me. it shed light a bit deeper into it. sending your amps away for 2-3 weeks, then hearing the amps return without that reference sitting there is less certain.

btw; it's possible others did buy new fresh original build 468's to replace their 458's. so had the two side by side. i've just not heard about that.

Reactions: redandgold

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I’ve spent lots of time with the series 2 108 (...)

Did you try the new NHB 108's in your system? There is almost no information about them in the net - considering that the old 108 sounded great and was popular I would expect some talk about people carrying upgrades.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing