New 468 monos

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Congrats on the mighty Dart Ref 468 monos...i am intrigued about Aries Cerat. Given that it appears more than a few owners ended up going 'full Aries Cerat'...did you audition Aries Cerat's amplification? If so, how do compare them with the big Darts?

Yes, I did. I have their amps in my system for a few months. Just say I’m not a fan of tube amps. I have owned a few well known tube amps before. Always going back to SS. Finally, I have found an amp I truly feel is the endgame.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Yes, I did. I have their amps in my system for a few months. Just say I’m not a fan of tube amps. I have owned a few well known tube amps before. Always going back to SS. Finally, I have found an amp I truly feel is the endgame.

+1.

I've had my dance with some pretty fair tube amps too, and the big darts are also endgame for me.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

+1.

I've had my dance with some pretty fair tube amps too, and the big darts are also endgame for me.

Very compelling testimony. Thanks, gents.

redandgold

Jun 3, 2018
+1.

The darTZeel monoblocs are my endgame too.. I could test the NHB-458 for months before I decided and I am now very fine with my decision. Don't miss anything... maybe until I hear the NHB-468. But this upgrade I will do later.

I asked Hervé about the difference between 458 and 468, but he was not very concrete. He mentioned the new version will have a deeper bass response. I suppose additionally the 468 will have from everything a bit more. With the NHB-458 you have reached the summit and don't miss anything. But once you hear the NBH-468 you don't want to have few. Like always. ;)

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

redandgold

Jun 3, 2018
With silver or black box it would not be my taste. But once you are on the darTZeel way, I call it consequent... :):cool::)

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
If I ever buy another set of monoblocks (tempted) to replace my D'Agostino Progressions it will be the 468's in black! I cannot locate any photos of them at all? Mike you are the closest and only dealer for me! Has anyone used Dartzeel with an ARC Ref 10 preamp? I would like to hold onto it as I like ARC preamps, but may have to change again for compatibility?

Vern

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
If I ever buy another set of monoblocks (tempted) to replace my D'Agostino Progressions it will be the 468's in black! I cannot locate any photos of them at all? Mike you are the closest and only dealer for me! Has anyone used Dartzeel with an ARC Ref 10 preamp? I would like to hold onto it as I like ARC preamps, but may have to change again for compatibility?

Vern

hi Vern,

first off, I'm not, and never have been, a hifi dealer, in the hifi business or a darTZeel dealer. I'm happy to refer you to a darTZeel dealer. there is one in LA. and in San Diego.

I have seen pictures of a pair of silver and black 458's, and while I did like the look, I prefer the red and gold myself. I called the US Distributor for darTZeel, and he said Herve would prefer not to build an alternate color but it can be done for an upcharge. PM me and happy to connect you to whoever.

I will leave the ARC Ref 10 issue to others who know about that.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Vern,

We're dealers for darTZeel :)
Unfortunately, I haven't tried a darTZeel with a REF 10. I know Jonathan (the distributor) is not a fan of ARC, but maybe he has some experience with that combination. I don't see why it wouldn't work, but in this particular case, and as much as I love the REF 10, I think I'd stick with the partnering 18NS preamp, if only to be able to use the dedicated Zeel connection between them.
Once the new 108 ships, I'll see about getting one of those in, and I'll be able to try it with other preamps! Let me know if you'd like an audition in your system as well :)

cheers,
Alex

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
hi Vern,

first off, I'm not, and never have been, a hifi dealer, in the hifi business or a darTZeel dealer. I'm happy to refer you to a darTZeel dealer. there is one in LA. and in San Diego.

I have seen pictures of a pair of silver and black 458's, and while I did like the look, I prefer the red and gold myself. I called the US Distributor for darTZeel, and he said Herve would prefer not to build an alternate color but it can be done for an upcharge. PM me and happy to connect you to whoever.

I will leave the ARC Ref 10 issue to others who know about that.

Oops that was my bad. Thank you Mike, I apologize for the mixup. I saw the one dealer listed and somehow was thinking of you in the same thought. I had a senior moment there, sorry about that!

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Vern,

We're dealers for darTZeel :)
Unfortunately, I haven't tried a darTZeel with a REF 10. I know Jonathan (the distributor) is not a fan of ARC, but maybe he has some experience with that combination. I don't see why it wouldn't work, but in this particular case, and as much as I love the REF 10, I think I'd stick with the partnering 18NS preamp, if only to be able to use the dedicated Zeel connection between them.
Once the new 108 ships, I'll see about getting one of those in, and I'll be able to try it with other preamps! Let me know if you'd like an audition in your system as well :)

cheers,
Alex

Hi Alex hey thanks for the information. I would sell the REF 10 and use both darTZeel preamp and amplifiers. I thought about it after posting and from not finding any feedback consider it a bad mix using the REF 10.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Have you read Fremers review of the Moon by Simaudio 888 Monoblocks? Link: https://www.stereophile.com/content/moon-simaudio-888-monoblock-power-amplifier. You might reconsider your "endgame" statement after reading it ;).

if I had 87db speakers with passive bottom octaves there might be a reason to think about that. but I have 97db, 7 ohm speakers with active bass towers. so the big Sim's don't answer a question i'm asking. I congratulate anyone acquiring them as the review is very positive.

and I expect after 7-8 years as Fremer's reference the 458's will inevitably be challenged by other amps passing though his system, as amazing as they are. heck; there is an upgrade to the 468 level i'm now contemplating (although i'm not feeling any push to do that......as i'm happy). and BTW, in the review Fremer says he is sticking with the darts (for his own reasons).

owning an end game amp does not mean there might not be better, or different. only that you are where you want to be. I am.

Last edited:

redandgold

Jun 3, 2018
Well spoken! Michael Fremer had the opportunity to test long time the big Boulder, the Ypsilon Hyperion and now the Moon 888. And in spite of all these monoliths have their strength in some disciplines, he always returns to his 458. Despite of 8 year old technology. The overall character is unbeaten. Once you are at the summit, it is hard to rise. Not to imagine how the 468 performs.

I heard the Moons two times at HighEnd Munich. Yes, not easy conditions. But the 888 player very impressive. Especially at weakend, once broken in. Made really fun, the grip and punch they made. But I don't hear only at full speed. The musical magic of my 458 I won't miss.

And yes, once I will update to 468. But I don't feel pressure or suffer. Maybe next year (or the year after next ...)

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Interesting that there is no concrete info on what the 468 brings vs. the 458.....except a higher price of course!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Interesting that there is no concrete info on what the 468 brings vs. the 458.....except a higher price of course!

It is funny that until the new version is accessible to them, the happy owners and dealers do not seem interested in it at all. But as soon as it will arrive at their doorsteps the WBF hyperbole police will have a lot of work to carry! :D

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
It is funny that until the new version is accessible to them, the happy owners and dealers do not seem interested in it at all. But as soon as it will arrive at their doorsteps the WBF hyperbole police will have a lot of work to carry! :D

not sure what reaction from current 458 owners you would expect. who has said they are not interested? only that they are happy now and not driven to jump right on the upgrade. I would hope any $160k retail amp owners would also be happy with what they have and not quick to pull any upgrade trigger. dart owners are typically in for the long run.

if one of us had a chance to A/B the new 468's then that changes everything. but short of that it seems to me our perspective would be expected and not 'funny'.

and maybe this is more a reflection of the sincere satisfaction we get from our dart 458's.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing