Exotic Horns & Tubes- Moryiama & Machida Style!

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Japan is a country rich with culture, traditions and beauty and naturally high end in Japan followed their hear, even if it’s based on Western technology. Many of us are familiar or at least heard of some of their best creators and respect as some of the best in the world. The high end community there is similarly Japanese in their values. I believe the people we meet and few dear friends we make because of our passion is what makes high end so very special. On my very recent trip to Japan I met two very passionate audiophiles, Moriyama San & Machida San! I want to thank them for their generosity and friendship and share a little of my experience with friends here.

Machida San, is a custom audio designer with years of experience and several patents under the belt. His system is made up of his own electronics and a speaker designed with WE components & horns which Moriyama San also adopted for his home system.

_DSC1357.jpg
Machida designed speakers made with WE & EV components.

_DSC1360.jpg
Grease bearing Gararrd 301 with Machida's special plinth and platter made from solid Japanese oak.

_DSC1358.jpg

Machida designed phono above with various custom RIAA curves and of course what's a system without music, a couple of Machida's 78's that we listened too.

_DSC1355.jpg

_DSC1351.jpg

A short video of this special system.

david

Last edited:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Moriyama San is a very special kind of audiophile, a sensitive soul with sensibility for the natural world that guides him in life, work and of course his pursuit of high end. The gallery and home where he creates and shares his art with the world are located in a serene mountain setting near Fukuoka. In the gallery hangs his now world famous open baffle horn speakers made from single solid piece of centuries old African wood which took him over a decade to finish.

_DSC1531.jpg

Below it standing tall, very tall is a pair of horn speakers with each section out of a single piece of solid wood also built by Moriyama.

_DSC0134.jpg

_DSC0047-small.jpg

And of course such speakers can only be driven with a pair of very custom amps. Tubes if I recall are STC 4212 transmission tubes

_DSC1543-2.jpg

and a short video;

david

Last edited:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Coming to an entrance like this you know you’re in for a special treat, Moryiama’s home and personal listening room. The speakers and electronics are all Machida designed fronted with a pair of very rare Epson idlers. The horns are all original WE as are the woofers in this case.

_DSC1554.jpg
As soon as you enter the room one is treated with a pair of very rare Epson Teragaki idlers !
_DSC1557.jpg

_DSC1567.jpg

_DSC1568.jpg

david

Last edited:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Mr. Moriyama uses the same Machida design phono with various custom RIAA curves.

_DSC1565-2.jpg

Speakers are made from hard wood and all original & NOS WE drivers & horns also designed by Machida San.

_DSC1564.jpg

and a little video,

david

Last edited:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
We went back to the gallery again for some tea and a quick listen where we ended the day with the most beautiful music courtesy of Machida San before heading out to a late dinner.

Machida San (white hair) & Moriyama San.

_DSC1560.jpg

I heard Casals's Song of the Birds in many performances but not this performance introduced by Machida San and never with this kind of emotion. His words and his playing to the world is the most moving recording I have heard in my life...

Touching Casals' soul through his words and haunting cello over this amazing system was the perfect finale to this special day.

IMG_0328.jpg

david

Last edited:
Reactions: hairyderriere

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Lol this is just wow. Look at the wood and the woofer on top. Just wow

Are the WE divers 555?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Impressive system, David. Can I ask you what is this other turntable, also shown in your video? It looked familiar ...

Attachments

• am1.jpg
    am1.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 675

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Impressive system, David. Can I ask you what is this other turntable, also shown in your video? It looked familiar ...

Unknown, something like the American Sound made locally in Fukuoka. It's air floating system is different as is the mass, wasn't setup so I didn't get to hear it.

david

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Japan is a country rich with culture, traditions and beauty and naturally high end in Japan followed their hear, even if it’s based on Western technology. Many of us are familiar or at least heard of some of their best creators and respect as some of the best in the world. The high end community there is similarly Japanese in their values. I believe the people we meet and few dear friends we make because of our passion is what makes high end so very special. On my very recent trip to Japan I met two very passionate audiophiles, Moriyama San & Machida San! I want to thank them for their generosity and friendship and share a little of my experience with friends here.

Machida San, is a custom audio designer with years of experience and several patents under the belt. His system is made up of his own electronics and a speaker designed with WE components & horns which Moriyama San also adopted for his home system.

View attachment 34557
Machida designed speakers made with WE & EV components.

View attachment 34558
Grease bearing Gararrd 301 with Machida's special plinth and platter made from solid Japanese oak.

View attachment 34559

Machida designed phono above with various custom RIAA curves and of course what's a system without music, a couple of Machida's 78's that we listened too.

View attachment 34560

View attachment 34561

A short video of this special system.

david

That was awesome. I spot a American Sound table there.
What music were you guys playing in that video.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Wow, thanks for posting! Looks like some amazing gear.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
That was awesome. I spot a American Sound table there.
What music were you guys playing in that video.

No it's not an AS and he doesn't know the brand, he got it from a from. It wasn't set up so I didn't get to hear it but it has a different float system.

We played a lot of things but I think this is the music in the video

IMG_0311.jpg

david

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Transcendental! Thanks for posting David.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
So did you like any of the speakers in particular? I think everyone looking is curious about having a listen. Did you learn anything particular aside from having a good time?

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
David, have you ever visited Mikami san's house in Yokosuka?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David, have you ever visited Mikami san's house in Yokosuka?

I was there several years ago in '06 Neville, Mikami San's collection is a very different thing he probably has the entire history of who's who of high end & professional audio in his house. Everything in mint condition with all related period electronics, his collection is deep and curated better than any museum that I know of, truly amazing.

R0010858.jpg

david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing