Exotic Horns & Tubes- Moryiama & Machida Style!

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
So did you like any of the speakers in particular? I think everyone looking is curious about having a listen. Did you learn anything particular aside from having a good time?

These speakers are not only about sound but they're also object d'art. Sonically they're up there with the best of them, there's nothing that compares with the ease and dynamics of large horns very different from cone speakers which to my knowledge just don't get there like horns. What did I learn? I met two very interesting people and learnt about them and their experiences, some wonderful music from Machida San's very rare and varied collection, beauty of Japanese country side, it's a day in a life, a good one :)!

david

sonyfan101

Sep 2, 2019
Hi David,

Cool post. I noticed both gentlemen had a Sony SACD player. Anything special about that particular model?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hi David,

Cool post. I noticed both gentlemen had a Sony SACD player. Anything special about that particular model?
Nothing special, both gentlemen are analog first the Sony is a decent player for the money, that’s all.

david

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
David, I saw that pic of jazz lp w the telltale OBI-strip. Ive gone thru phases of buying Japanese pressings. Often better SQ than even original/early US or Euro pressings of my fave lps, but sometimes weirdly worse, esp bottom end EQ artificially boosted.

Yr thoughts on Japanese pressings of 60s-80s lps?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David, I saw that pic of jazz lp w the telltale OBI-strip. Ive gone thru phases of buying Japanese pressings. Often better SQ than even original/early US or Euro pressings of my fave lps, but sometimes weirdly worse, esp bottom end EQ artificially boosted.

Yr thoughts on Japanese pressings of 60s-80s lps?
I found the same to be true but the better is relative to the pressings we own, General is really the one to ask. I have some 78’s too but sonically mine don’t even compare to the one’s Machida San played for me, the pressings play a big role.

david

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Attempting to resurrect this incredible thread. Any more stories or insights on this or other trips to Japan, David? The craftsmanship is mesmerising.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I spent a year working at a large architecture firm in the center of Tokyo in 1990. This thread brings back the appreciation I learned from the craftsmanship and natural wood. I was not into audio back then so I never took advantage of the incredible resources there. I traveled and saw a lot of great architecture.

These two gentlemen have gear and collections which are outside The standard approach to the hobby. These are statements about an approach where nature, art, creativity, and expertise are an integral part of their lives. It is a lifestyle which seems rich and complete.

These types of threads are so much about the joys surrounding the hobby. The personal meeting of fellow enthusiasts who share a passion at such a level. This thread was started when the forum was a very friendly gathering place.

Thank you David for starting this thread and to Bill for trying to resurrect it.

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Attempting to resurrect this incredible thread. Any more stories or insights on this or other trips to Japan, David? The craftsmanship is mesmerising.
+1 this is just amazing stuff. Such an extraordinary part of our audio culture.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
High end audio or any type of high end collecting is very social, it's not at all what we're used to in the West. Emphasis is on the Social with a capitol S! Of course people are equally passionate about sound, gear and music too but friendships come first! My last trip overseas was at the end of 2019, I really miss those times. Not my pictures but they're representative of what I love about this hobby and the type of systems that turn me on...

46522817_1951372918283792_3405999010933112832_n.jpg

46668673_1951386661615751_1621048514391834624_n.jpg

46665861_1951386948282389_8334101192816721920_n.jpg

46511321_1951386744949076_613339836882878464_n.jpg

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
From what I understand he's now working on even a larger speaker, of course generational wood business helps a lot but one also needs the spirit and love to create at this level.

View attachment 93423

View attachment 93424
Love it! The artisan and the dream. It’s such a beautiful concept and the scale and the simplicity of it is so rich and filled with soul. It would be amazing to visit and experience the whole thing.

• Love
Reactions: Audiophile Bill

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Love it! The artisan and the dream. It’s such a beautiful concept and the scale and the simplicity of it is so rich and full of soul. It would be amazing to visit and experience the whole thing.
He's very approachable and friendly, you should visit this world Graham, it's so "natural" :) ! Of course Utah's always open and will welcome you too!

david

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Both journeys east and west would be something I’d very much love to do David. I’m winding myself towards gearing life towards early senescence myself atm so definitely considering to do a proper pilgrimage in these next few years when work winds back just a touch and I can take a good break. It’d be wonderful to meet for sure and something I’d very much appreciate to do.

Graham

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Love it! The artisan and the dream. It’s such a beautiful concept and the scale and the simplicity of it is so rich and filled with soul. It would be amazing to visit and experience the whole thing.

Exactly. So inspiring in so many ways. There is a substance and soul guiding everything like the world is a somehow aligned.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Thank you, David, for the additional footage and commentary.

How do the audiophile social gatherings manifest exactly? Curious to know how it plays out in more detail. Would be great to attempt to replicate this ethos in the West somehow.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

Thank you Bill for bringing this thread back for us to enjoy. Thank you David for posting your story and photos and your fantastic insight to Japanese audio. WoW.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Thank you, David, for the additional footage and commentary.

How do the audiophile social gatherings manifest exactly? Curious to know how it plays out in more detail. Would be great to attempt to replicate this ethos in the West somehow.
It's pretty organic actually people just get together for a good time. It can be lunch or dinner outside and then a visit to the listening room. Sometimes I when travel when not installing systems I'll call the person I want to see and have a chat with them, most are open to meeting new people and then organize and take you around to other like minded audiophiles. Usually I never call anyone with a modern system nor will I travel to hear one, probably why I don't go to audio shows anymore but meeting some of the owners of those systems can be very nice too!

david

MarkusTubesNow

Oct 24, 2019
Here in the Portland, Oregon area there is typically a monthly get together - a joint meeting - of the Oregon Triode Society and the Portland Audio Club. It is held at decibel sound and drink which hosts an evolving system fronted by a pair of RCA Ubangi horns.

Reactions: Solypsa

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing