How far should speakers be placed away from walls to eliminate smearing from early reflections?

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
But it is interesting that in the chart you posted Art is using the absorption side of the TubeTraps on the sidewalls.
When John Dykstra at GIK did the analysis of my room, his recommendation as well was for absorbers on the sidewalls.

Reactions: BruceD

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
1708690962104.jpeg

No two rooms are the same.

My current and best ever dedicated listening space, is a very odd shape and posed some challenges. What I immediately liked is that being a basement location it keeps very quiet from outside noise. The gray painted, dampened hvac ducts and drain pipes, but otherwise unfinished ceiling with open joists offered a nicely defuse space.

With a full kitchen and bath, it is very livable and a joy to entertain in. I had a number of ASC barrels and added a dozen or so gik products, corner traps, 244, and 242s, about half with defuser panels, and this tamed the obvious and unwanted room reflections and balanced the bass response to create a well managed starting point.

Getting somewhat serious, and bringing acoustic treatment into play for the first time, really dissolved a lot of different kinds of issues with the system presentation. I can’t say enough about how profoundly it has impacted our listening enjoyment.

The room sounds very good overall, measures pretty well, and stays out of the way of the music by and large.

Happy Listener

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkusBarkus

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing