How far should speakers be placed away from walls to eliminate smearing from early reflections?

caesar

May 30, 2010
What is the ideal distance for speakers to be placed away from walls to eliminate the smearing effect of early reflections?

In a perfect scenario, is the middle of the room the best place?

Thank you

Reactions: Cote Dazur

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
It is completely room dependent. See, for example, Steve Williams room where his big Wilsons are very close to the sidewalls what most would argue is a no-no, but properly treated room problem solved!

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
It depends on the dispersion pattern of the speaker, size of room and personal preference. My preference would be a somewhat nearfield setup with the speakers a good distance from any of the walls and a controlled, even and smooth dispersion pattern.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
It is completely room dependent. See, for example, Steve Williams room where his big Wilsons are very close to the sidewalls what most would argue is a no-no, but properly treated room problem solved!

I'd go with problem somewhat mitigated... ;)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I'd go with problem somewhat mitigated... ;)

Solved is really a better word in my room. There are no side reflections. Having said that I agree that in a perfect world with a large room these issues are easily controlled.

Reactions: Alrainbow

caesar

May 30, 2010

Obviously I haven't heard his setup, but doesn't killing that stuff off make the room sound dead?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Caesar

Before you start making assertions about a dead room I suggest you listen and then comment.

The same acoustician who did my room did Bobs. Two different designs with two excellent results

Steve, I am not making any assertion. As I mentioned above, I have not heard every single implementation. But so many guys recommend absorption- which in my experience kills the fun.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Anyways, is there an ideal distance away from the walls for one not having to deal with this problem?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Solved is really a better word in my room. There are no side reflections. Having said that I agree that in a perfect world with a large room these issues are easily controlled.

That's good, it does depend on personal preference. Personally, I'm happy without reflections off the side walls and also choose speakers with narrower dispersion so it's not an issue either.... others might see that as a huge compromise. Of course Harman's research says sidewall reflections are desirable and give you a sense of spaciousness. IMO it's a result of 1. Acclimation 2. A test system without sufficient resolution to reproduce most of the spatial cues in the recordings. But since Amir isn't here I thought it would be good to point that out. ;)

caesar

May 30, 2010
It depends on the dispersion pattern of the speaker, size of room and personal preference. My preference would be a somewhat nearfield setup with the speakers a good distance from any of the walls and a controlled, even and smooth dispersion pattern.

Hi DaveC,

Don't you still get that smearing from reflections even if you choose to sit near-field? What do you recommend to get a smooth dispersion pattern?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Obviously I haven't heard his setup, but doesn't killing that stuff off make the room sound dead?

Not for me. Others will disagree.

I think sidewall reflections are often preferred due to acclimation (that's what we're used to) and the fact many systems can't reproduce many spatial cues in the recording so room reflections become the substituted spatial cues. But it makes it sound like all the music is being played in your room rather than hearing the acoustics of the various venues the recordings were made at.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Anyways, is there an ideal distance away from the walls for one not having to deal with this problem?

No. Stereo needs some proper reflection in walls and there are so many variables in speakers, rooms, walls (!) and preferences that it is not possible to have a one figure recipe.

caesar

May 30, 2010

Steve, can you please share how your problem was solved, or is something proprietary?

One way people solve this problem is using SMT wing products...in effect they become the "new wall"...yet even they need to be a certain distance from the speaker...

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Hi DaveC,

Don't you still get that smearing from reflections even if you choose to sit near-field? What do you recommend to get a smooth dispersion pattern?

Nearfield gets you more direct sound vs reflected sound and also increases the time delay between direct and reflected sound, both are good things!

Dispersion pattern is dependent on the speaker only, a polar plot of the speaker will tell you most things about how the speaker will sound that we can measure. While overall dispersion width or angle is subject to personal preference a smoothly falling off-axis response is universally good.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Look up the Haas effect. There is a window where early reflections are BAD because in this short time range the brain mixes the direct and reflected sound. Outside of that the brain can distinguish direct from reflected and this is what is subject to preference. That said there are basically three ways to deal with the problem. Absorb, Diffuse or redirect with reflection. You just need to know the distance of travel of the direct sound and the distance of travel of the reflection to determine if that filtering your hearing is caused by your placement or not. You want their arrival times to be outside of the problematic time window. With speed of sound as constant simply compute if the distance from driver to wall to listening position will arrive later than the direct sound by at least around 100ms for music programme. That should put you out of the worst scenario as far as the first lateral reflections go. Of course now you have to deal with reverberation.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Look up the Haas effect. There is a window where early reflections are BAD because in this short time range the brain mixes the direct and reflected sound. Outside of that the brain can distinguish direct from reflected and this is what is subject to preference. That said there are basically three ways to deal with the problem. Absorb, Diffuse or redirect with reflection. You just need to know the distance of travel of the direct sound and the distance of travel of the reflection to determine if that filtering your hearing is caused by your placement or not. You want their arrival times to be outside of the problematic time window. With speed of sound as constant simply compute if the distance from driver to wall to listening position will arrive later than the direct sound by at least around 100ms for music programme. That should put you out of the worst scenario as far as the first lateral reflections go. Of course now you have to deal with reverberation.

Thank you, Jack! I will read up on that.

Out of the 3 approaches you mention - Absorb, Diffuse, or Redirect with reflection, do you happen to know if the SMT wing products are in the Redirect camp?

caesar

May 30, 2010
No. Stereo needs some proper reflection in walls and there are so many variables in speakers, rooms, walls (!) and preferences that it is not possible to have a one figure recipe.

Hi Microstrip,

Thanks. Can you please elaborate a bit on "some proper reflection" vs. smearing from too much reflection?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

For small rooms 100 ms isn't practical as that takes about 33 meters. General rule of thumb is ~4 meters so speakers should ideally be 2 meters or more from sources of reflections.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing