Oppo UHD 203/205 - modifications, improvements, discussions...

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
A "thermal" picture of a fully modified UDP 203...

Attachments

• Thermo203.jpg
    Thermo203.jpg
    734.9 KB · Views: 647

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
Here is my (finished yet???) 205. I can say that all the improvements are now in place (not using the multi-channel board)...

Oppo205modified.jpg

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
Well, it looks as in the picture above... The sound is quite different than from a improved 105. And this is because the new Sabre chip. Very good dynamics. Another level of (high) fidelity...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
"Look" as in when you watch a 4K UHD Blu-ray movie. ...Compared to before. Does it make the pictures clearer, sharper, ...?

The 205 in its original form contains the two same top-of-the-line ESS Pro DACs. It is already improved over the 105, the sound.

The internals of your mod look splendid. Very well organised from the top, with highest graded parts.
Did you take measurements before and after?

If looks could only kill I would buy the universe.

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
Sorry about my wrong understanding. Indeed the picture become less noisy, the tonal gradient increase as the richness of colours. The picture of a improved 205 is better than from a improved 203. I suspect the main processor is not exactly the same version in botn devices...
Making professional measurements (which is what it have to be done in this case) it is quite a challenge and time consuming... Not done it yet.

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
Hi Coris..

I have just purchased Oppo UDP 205 for fear of extinction. When powered up the first time, I noticed it’s far better than 105 both video and sound quality.

My friend told me about the possible linear power supply and clock upgrade to further improve its performance. Thus, I spent the whole night reading your posts on other forum.

Regarding your power supply and clock upgrade, are they easy to replace without soldering?

I am interested in improving the video and digital audio via HDMI only. I use Lumagen Pro and Trinnov Altitude 32 in my home theater systems.

Please PM me about the cost and how difficult it is to replace them. Thanks.

QUOTE=Coris;466300]:) Well, French language is indeed not so popular in Norway, but the most of my customers are francophone so far... Only by chance...
Here is a link from a thread, which it can give you some more informations in the field (quite much to read back and forth through...):
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/...teurs-uhd-oppo-udp-203-205-t30077820-630.html

And a link to a Norwegian forum/thread:
http://www.hifisentralen.no/forumet/vennetra-der-hifimerker/58732-oppoa-s-venner-18.html[/QUOTE]

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
Hi ferrox

Indeed, you did it right investing in one of a Oppo ended produced devices. Especially the 205 it include the very last generation chips for both video and audio. As in Oppo "tradition" this last products also it need improvements to perform at their high end potential.
Indeed, the linear power supply and clock system are the improvements needed for boosting up the performances in digital field (digital input/outputs).
The LPM is very easy to install it by yourself, but implementing the clock board it make necessary some modifications on main board, as soldering quite thin coaxes. This last improvement is not easy to make it by yourself, without enough good skills/tools and experience in the field. The easiest solving of this aspect is sending the main board to me. I will then send it back together with the LPM in one shipping (everything tested and ready for back mounting). All necessary guidance and support for dismounting/mounting the parts is included.
I will PM you for details.

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
Fully improved multi-channel stage in 205 (7.1 XLR outputs)...

Attachments

• MCmodXLRout - 205.jpg
    MCmodXLRout - 205.jpg
    502.7 KB · Views: 275
  • 205 - MC-XLR.jpg
    205 - MC-XLR.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 273
Reactions: Florin Bizu

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Wow, we don't see multichannel XLR balanced outputs from a Blu-ray player, ever.
Audiophile analog universal multichannel playback machine.
...SACD, DVD-audio, Blu-ray Audio, Ultra hires audio files playback...DSD, FLAC, WAV, (MQA), CD, Tidal, Roon, ...

Coris, you have high advanced guts. :cool:

This would need the right high-end pre/pro for the right music setup in the right multichannel audiophile room.

Some like this? http://www.hiddenwires.co.uk/features/article/peer-review-trinnov-altitude-32-av-cinema-processor
___

Extra: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0717/OPPO_UDP205_Hi_Res_Music_Player_Review.htm
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...media-streamer&p=517049&viewfull=1#post517049

Last edited:

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
Well, thanks for appreciations. Indeed, there are not so many players out there with XLR output on multi-channel. Only Oppo... with my help.
Please note that the stereo stage is not improved in this case, but partially the power system on board. The focus it was on multi-channel stage. Also I have replaced the original toroid with an R customised core transformer, to lower so dramatically the heat generation.
A last detail: no a cheap project either...

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
Another mounting solution of the XLR connectors for the multi-channel section (205)...

Attachments

• 205-MC-XLRoutput.jpg
    205-MC-XLRoutput.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 212

Nobrainer

Aug 27, 2018
There seems to be a number of different linear power modules for the Oppo 203 around, but I can't find any comparison between them, is one available, or can someone shed some inside.

How to the aftermarket power supplies compared, from a design/electrical/build quality perspective?

Bar81

Mar 24, 2017
What exactly are you trying to do with the Oppo?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
There seems to be a number of different linear power modules for the Oppo 203 around, but I can't find any comparison between them, is one available, or can someone shed some inside.

How to the aftermarket power supplies compared, from a design/electrical/build quality perspective?

I agree, it's not something we easily find online. Coris would know best.

What exactly are you trying to do with the Oppo?

To make an excellent universal player the very best?

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
There are indeed, some few models linear PSUs for Oppo players on market right now. I did not made myself a comparative test of those versus mine, but I have examined it carefully, by published pictures and descriptions. If I should say that my LPS it is the most complete, most sophisticated and high quality design, I may be accused for lack of modesty. So, I will not say that...;)

Reactions: MicJames

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing