Record Purchases

How many new and used records do you buy each month?

• 0-10

Votes: 41 71.9%
  • 10-20

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • 20-30

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • 30-40

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40-50

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50+

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
So let's hear from all you analog lovers how many new and used records you buy on average each month?

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
It's a nice thing going to the vinyl shop and get lost into the displayed music.People soon start to know each other by their names,become regulars and buy music as a habbit.
Each one coming out of the store will have at least five records under their arm whereas people going into the cd shops rush in to buy one copy!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have been buying new vinyl about once every 2 weeks for the last few years. Most of it has been of the 180g variety and I've had pretty good results. There's a big hate-on for some of the UMG Back-to-Black releases on other forums, but I don't share that opinion. Sure they're not Ciscos or Quiet-X or Music on Vinyl, but then they don't come with the same pricetag either. I also buy used vinyl, but that has now dimished significantly and I only really go nuts when I go to some of the record fairs (of which there are several here).

I voted 0-10. If it were higher I'd need to find larger living quarters!

John

SORAsound

May 14, 2010
I go through phases. After a while not buying anything, Sometimes I went nuts and bought plenty. I just was in Berlin, and bought enough that had to buy a new suitcase to put the records in. I would say that last few months I bought about 40 to 50 records a months at least.
I also bought a lot of duplicates...I think 10 or 12 copies of Miserere (Arvo Part) and all LP products still available on ECM New Series. Some duplicates. Last year I bought all LP records available on LEO label even though some of that music may not really be my taste now. I like to support good labels and small businesses.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I go through phases. After a while not buying anything, Sometimes I went nuts and bought plenty. I just was in Berlin, and bought enough that had to buy a new suitcase to put the records in. I would say that last few months I bought about 40 to 50 records a months at least.
I also bought a lot of duplicates...I think 10 or 12 copies of Miserere (Arvo Part) and all LP products still available on ECM New Series. Some duplicates. Last year I bought all LP records available on LEO label even though some of that music may not really be my taste now. I like to support good labels and small businesses.

Don't you just love buying LPs in Europe. When I used to get over there on business, and before they became sooo expensive, I used to go crazy buying LPs in the UK and France!

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Personal finacial situation puts me squarely in the "0-10" bracket. If cash wasn't an issue, I'd say I'd be in the 20-30 range (I'd love to buy more, but there's only so many listening hours in a month!).

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
I only purchased what I want now which is not very often and its seldom new. usually vintage and hard to find LPs. latest LP purchase , The Hunter, Jennifer warnes and Hope, Hugh Masakela
original much better than re issue. I cant understd why some of us with ultra high syst is not willing to spend on original but rather buy reissue because its cheaper. If its not available and if they thk reissue is better sounding , which is seldom the case ( my opinion) , then is a different issue. I have friends who used clearaudio statemt, another 1 with humongous Krell power amp and previous top model Focal but mainly buy reissue and titles
When I 1st started in this expensive hobby, I purchase titles I like and reissue LPs. Once I understand LP better I started buying original thru ebay and all sort of online site eg cdandlp.com, mikrokosmos.com, audiophileusa.com and was in such a rapid buying spree , that I have packages coming into my office almost everyday, so much so that my software probably cost more than my system and accumulated more than 2000+ original LP within 2 years. Almost bought everythg in Harry Pearson list, a lot of MFSL etc. Abt a year ago I got back my sanity and slowed down on the purchases. Then again I got bitten by reel to reel disease since dec, last year. Fortunately hardly any 15ips tape available

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I haven't bought any vinyl in about a month now, and I'm getting edgy........:mad:

John

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
I haven't bought any vinyl in about a month now, and I'm getting edgy........:mad:

John

Same here! Still, the releases of the remastered Love Over Gold in a few days gives the excuse for a mini splurge on it and the preceding two remasters (I already have the first one). I might add another to the order to take the number up to four: I like even numbers. :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
These days, definitely 0-10 unlike when I got back into vinyl and was rebuilding my lost collection.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
OK! I wanna know who voted 50+! LOL!

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Probably Myles. He was carrying a nice load of Classic Records' Clarity boxed sets when I met him at THE Show in January. Good manners prevented me from mugging him and making those lovely records mine! Well, that, and the fact that he clearly works out a lot more than me! :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Probably Myles. He was carrying a nice load of Classic Records' Clarity boxed sets when I met him at THE Show in January. Good manners prevented me from mugging him and making those lovely records mine! Well, that, and the fact that he clearly works out a lot more than me! :)

The only person I could think of was btf1980! Gotta get him to join.

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Have picked up 5 LP's since my last post in the thread.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Cool! Judging by your relatively low profile for the past few days, I take it you're enjoying the footy? 3 games/day--you must be on cloud 9! :)

I am indeed! In fact, I started early today (5am), so I could get home in time for the The Netherlands-Cameroon game! Plus I'm off for the next 2 days......I'm in football heaven!

John

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
I picked up 8 used lp's at a record fair on Saturday. I also ordered 2 new lp's via internet in the past month. Some months I'm not too active, then suddenly some super deal will pop up and I'll pick up 200 for $25. I actually did that about 3 months ago.

My problem is that I'm really running out of room to store them. The last several purchases are still in boxes and many others are beginning to line the floor in my listening room.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I picked up 8 used lp's at a record fair on Saturday. I also ordered 2 new lp's via internet in the past month. Some months I'm not too active, then suddenly some super deal will pop up and I'll pick up 200 for $25. I actually did that about 3 months ago.

My problem is that I'm really running out of room to store them. The last several purchases are still in boxes and many others are beginning to line the floor in my listening room.

Wow, homeless records in your town too :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing