5th AudioExotics Super Hi-End Show

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
..go big or go home eh?

Not what I meant really :D

Goebel made its name with its svelte bending wave speakers. This is a departure for them, particularly the use of big woofers. That they used 18" woofers instead of more typical sizes like 12" or 15" is the exclamation point. :)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Jack, I wonder why they would go in a more conventional direction and release a speaker without the bending wave driver?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm guessing efficiency. Same reason for the large internal cabinet volumes and horn loading the ribbon tweeter as well. The Bending wave drivers require a lot more power than the amps the AE gentlemen prefer. The bending wave drivers are usually paired with near KW amps like those from Analog Domain and CH's M1s run bridged mono. I bet they'd be great with the big Tony Stark Darts too. These Divins apparently filled that huge space with amps run combined in the low hundreds. In a 100sqm room or less surely even less power would be sufficient.

A long time ago when I asked Albert what he would make for me should I go the ML3 route for my room the configuration was a bit similar. He was suggesting a horn loaded Raven, High Efficiency 7.5" mids and dual 15" TL loaded woofers. It would have been huge so that was nixed.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Apparently the AE guy challenged him to make a high efficiency design saying the previous was not sufficient. Or something to that tune

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
First assistent comment:

"This is my third time to attend AE super show. In the previous two years(2015/2016), we always hear the comments from outside that the show arrangemnt is good, electronics/cables/accessories are excellent, but the room is too large for the system setting. I know it means nothing for Chris but IMPERFECT.

When everyone thought "the room is too large" is a defect that cannot be changed, Gobel Divin made everything different. The speakers were driven by a pair of ?? which are 40W per channel. It filled up the room with the size of one thousand square feet. Now no one says "the room is too large". This proves the sensitivity 98db is true for such a beast-like, 8-feet-tall with two 18-inches woofers speakers. What else brands can make that spec?"

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Another one:

"The realism, the nature of music itself is music. May I introduce you, the Divin, the only and the ultimate meaning of realism. It is not a hi-fi my friend nor ultra-fi. It is the everything, it is what we chasing for. Let's face one true fact, audio system is never a live show, that's why we can have different experiences in different systems with a same song. But People please listen to me, Divin is here and now you are so close to the nature of music, so close and really close that beats 99.99% of audio system out there. You can actually feel it touching your soul by every single note. But don't be surprise my friend, it is the nature of music."

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
First assistent comment:

"This is my third time to attend AE super show. In the previous two years(2015/2016), we always hear the comments from outside that the show arrangemnt is good, electronics/cables/accessories are excellent, but the room is too large for the system setting. I know it means nothing for Chris but IMPERFECT.

When everyone thought "the room is too large" is a defect that cannot be changed, Gobel Divin made everything different. The speakers were driven by a pair of ?? which are 40W per channel. It filled up the room with the size of one thousand square feet. Now no one says "the room is too large". This proves the sensitivity 98db is true for such a beast-like, 8-feet-tall with two 18-inches woofers speakers. What else brands can make that spec?"

how about -4- 7 foot tall, 750 pound, towers; with 2 towers passive and 97db, 7 ohms, with 550 watts into 8 ohm amplifiers, the other 2 towers active, with -4- 15" power subwoofers per tower, and a pair of 1000 watt amplifiers in each bass tower. and the -3db deep bass extension is 7hz, the -6db extension is 3hz.

the Evolution Acoustics MM7's with dart 458 mono blocks.

I'm not taking anything away from the Gobel Divin. but this type of authority and ability to energize and control a very large room, or even higher, is out there. it's not unique.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Most horns have it, and two 18 inch woofers can be done in horns

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, they're selling to well heeled audiophiles who love low pwr SETs
But how many can house these in those legendary small apartments?
And it looks like this "perfect phase coherence" mated to v high efficiency is the killer combination
A Wilson Alexandria owner said his spkrs did not compare to the Divin

Last edited:

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I think... hope... that there will be a move toward speakers with larger woofers. I've heard "there's no replacement for displacement" applies to audio as well as cars, but the truth is "there's no replacement for Sd" (Sd = surface area of driver) is a better match for audio. The trend to replace Sd with Xmax (maximum excursion) in order to have smaller woofers match larger woofers in total displacement doesn't work as the mechanical impedance match with air is different and efficiency goes down. The woofer with larger Sd will be lower in distortion and clearer sounding, which effects perception of the entire frequency range.

Without the two 18" woofers the Divin is a fairly ordinary mtm, and not to take away from what sounds like excellent mid/tweet drivers... imo it's the two 18" woofers that makes it what it is, and all else being equal I'd expect it to sound better vs a speaker with lesser Sd.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I think... hope... that there will be a move toward speakers with larger woofers. I've heard "there's no replacement for displacement" applies to audio as well as cars, but the truth is "there's no replacement for Sd" (Sd = surface area of driver) is a better match for audio. The trend to replace Sd with Xmax (maximum excursion) in order to have smaller woofers match larger woofers in total displacement doesn't work as the mechanical impedance match with air is different and efficiency goes down. The woofer with larger Sd will be lower in distortion and clearer sounding, which effects perception of the entire frequency range.

Without the two 18" woofers the Divin is a fairly ordinary mtm, and not to take away from what sounds like excellent mid/tweet drivers... imo it's the two 18" woofers that makes it what it is, and all else being equal I'd expect it to sound better vs a speaker with lesser Sd.

+1

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Wow !!!!
The Divin are provoking very eloquent answers !!!
Anybody know the specs and how it sound?
I don't.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Stereophonic, all I know is that it's claiming perfect phase coherence which someone has also said is only possible w DSP, and this has a purely analog crossover
We need some first hand reports
Where are you Jazzhead LOL?

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Always fun to see the pictures from AudioExotics shows.

Also, if anyone knows the demo music and songs used, especially oriental ones, do post them here.

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
More testimonials:

"2017 . The return of the Goebel.

Divin was not only the break though of Oliver Goebel’s old design. It does make the old Epoque series looks like toys.

Every one attended the show would agree that the power and energy form the Divin seemed to be limitless

It just needs a 40W Chouku to fill up the biggest room. The speed , pinpoint imaging , timbre were supreme.

WADAX’s MQA demo was very ear-opening experience. The MQA improvement over the PCM 44.1 was not subtle at all. The MQA demonstrated music with bigger sound stage , more precise image and tighter bass.

The Tripoint Troy Elite demo made me known why the AE’s forum members grab it crazily before they listening to it.

The only regret would be to order too late.

The room was full of surprise and passion. I don’t want to leave my seat at all.

But I have to visit my favourite AE brand and see what he brought to us this year.

I went to Trinity Room. The familiar sound came to me , no distortion , free from stress but wait …

It is a bit more,… the very quiet system going a step further into tranquility.

dB told me that he took all the power supply units from the golden series so that he could have more space to add the additional component into the enclosure. From my perspective, the moving away of the power supply does matter in a -140 db pre-amp system. The price for the golden series was sky high but it would last for many many years . It is a sort of eternal glory.

This the room I would like to stay as long as I could.

Thanks AE team again to bring us the a fabulous world class leading high end hifi show."

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I don't know what model Troy that is,but I would suggest that if that was taken out of the system the Divin speakers would be less impressive.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
how about -4- 7 foot tall, 750 pound, towers; with 2 towers passive and 97db, 7 ohms, with 550 watts into 8 ohm amplifiers, the other 2 towers active, with -4- 15" power subwoofers per tower, and a pair of 1000 watt amplifiers in each bass tower. and the -3db deep bass extension is 7hz, the -6db extension is 3hz.

the Evolution Acoustics MM7's with dart 458 mono blocks.

I'm not taking anything away from the Gobel Divin. but this type of authority and ability to energize and control a very large room, or even higher, is out there. it's not unique.

I also think of the rockport arrakis (1 tweeter, 2x5.25" mids, 2x8" midbass, 2x15"woofer per tower) and the exceptionally carefully designed, monocoque moulded cabinetry...and the mighty 4-tower Genesis 1s. I suppose one could add the 4-tower Wilsons (either WAMM or even XLF + dual Thors).

In terms of a 2-tower set, I suppose there are fewer that match the driver surface area which as Dave C and Roger D are pointing out makes a big difference. Arrakis is perhaps very similar in surface area and from my 'guesstimate impression' did make a pair of big Wilsons seem like Alexias.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hmm
I'm thinking modded Apogee Full Ranges triamped actively w big beastie Analog Domains might whip the Divin

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Jazzhead, are you (feeling) free to comment on your experiences on this AE show? Any favourite room in your view?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing