Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Release from Edward Pong; stunning sonics!

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar

New Release from Edward Pong; stunning sonics!

I am listening to one of the new releases from Edward Pong and the sound is remarkable.

a few years back I purchased 7 small scale classical tapes from Edward and have truly enjoyed them. they were live recordings and they had 'life' and 'flow and were direct and intimate if not the last word in imaging. but with a very live feeling and I've visited them again and again over the years.....when in the mood for that feeling.....I call my Sunday morning feeling.

this one is "Tatsuki Narita & Yun-Yang Lee" on Beethoven Sonata #3, and Sarasate Zigeunerweisen. these are two live recordings in front of an audience......which personally I prefer for it's little bit more emotive content and deeper flow of energy. this one pulses and breathes.

http://ultraanaloguerecordings.com/w...a-yun-yang-lee

I'm no expert on classical performance, so take my opinion with a large grain of salt, but I really enjoyed this recording and expect to play it often.

and what Edward is now doing is a few steps closer to an ultimate sound. he has captured a more vivid direct sound of a piano and violin that is astonishing.

he has stepped up his recording gear with "..... vintage NOS WE300b (1956 - square getter) in the microphone pre- amp, battery supply to the record & playback tube electronics for the Studer..." and whatever other tricks and I'm hearing such realism and complete direct unveiled energy and life. the delicacy and touch of the piano and the tone of the violin are maybe a new standard for me to have in my mind. sweet and sparkle along with flow and energy. this is how a piano should sound. super low noise and wonderful ambience.

the tone just jumps out of the music and my system and room just disappear. the big rig has never sounded sweeter! I think Edward's recording technique has advanced since the earliest recordings.

Bravo Edward! and thank you.
    Last edited by Mike Lavigne; 07-06-2017 at 11:29 PM.
    Wave Kin. NVS tt, AS-2000 ord. (2) Durand Telos (1-Sapphire) arms, CA Gold Stat, Ort Anna carts, -2- Studer A-820 RTR (1/4" + 1/2").*MSB Select II dac w/33 Femto clock + mono powerbases, SGM serv + (2x) 30 tb NAS. *darT NHB-18NS w/2 phonos, King-Cello. *dart 458 mono blocks. EA MM7. *Equi=tech 10WQ, (10) Abso Fid PC & (2) Evo Acou PC. *Evo Acou 12' TRSC and 8m + 1.25m 'zeel' ic's, *Tripoint Troy Sig + Elite, Entreq Sil Tel + Pos, *Herzan TS-140 & TS-150, Wave Kin. A10 U8's + 2NS, Adona GTX.

Wave Kin. NVS tt, AS-2000 ord. (2) Durand Telos (1-Sapphire) arms, CA Gold Stat, Ort Anna carts, -2- Studer A-820 RTR (1/4" + 1/2").*MSB Select II dac w/33 Femto clock + mono powerbases, SGM serv + (2x) 30 tb NAS. *darT NHB-18NS w/2 phonos, King-Cello. *dart 458 mono blocks. EA MM7. *Equi=tech 10WQ, (10) Abso Fid PC & (2) Evo Acou PC. *Evo Acou 12' TRSC and 8m + 1.25m 'zeel' ic's, *Tripoint Troy Sig + Elite, Entreq Sil Tel + Pos, *Herzan TS-140 & TS-150, Wave Kin. A10 U8's + 2NS, Adona GTX.

Member Sponsor [Industry Expert]
    Many thanks Mike for your kind words!
    Kudos to tube genius Tony Ma !!!

I knew with your incredible system you would hear the magic !

Ed
    Last edited by Edward Pong; 07-07-2017 at 04:55 AM.

I was playing some of Ed's tapes over the weekend. The most recent tapes (the three Beethoven Violin-Piano Sonatas with Taksuki Narita and Yun-Yang Lee) using the vintage 300b tubes and battery supply for record and playback that Mike mentions have really upped the already fine sound that Ed gets in these recordings. He combines extremely talented performers with recording in a real acoustical space (these are live concerts) with these super electronics direct to tape. At least part of the secret to my ears is that he and Tony have lowered the noise floor on the recordings so that the most subtle details of the actual sounds, including both instruments and the actual recording space can be clearly heard for an incredible listening experience. Great job Ed and Tony.

Larry
    Analog-VPI Classic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2A,2xAmpexATR102+Doshi3.0
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacMicroModel2
    Dig Play-Lampi GG,NADACmch,Roon/HQP,Oppo95
    Electronics-HerronVTSP360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-ArtKelmGround1,AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecor dFlat
    Scott Rust Interconnects,Switch,Symmetric Power Supply
    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs ,50TBripped files

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    Mine are on the way. Can't wait. Ed is sending them in NAB to me as he feels for his ears he prefers NAB
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    USA Dealer of Center Stage Feet and owner of PitchPerfect Sound (www.pitchperfectsound.com)
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Williams View Post
    Mine are on the way. Can't wait. Ed is sending them in NAB to me as for his ears he prefers NAB
    Mine are also all NAB. Works great with my Doshi 3.0. Larry
    Analog-VPI Classic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2A,2xAmpexATR102+Doshi3.0
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacMicroModel2
    Dig Play-Lampi GG,NADACmch,Roon/HQP,Oppo95
    Electronics-HerronVTSP360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-ArtKelmGround1,AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecor dFlat
    Scott Rust Interconnects,Switch,Symmetric Power Supply
    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs ,50TBripped files

Quote Originally Posted by astrotoy View Post
    mine is NAB also; worked great on the King Cello.

My Schubert Grand Fantasy recommended by Edward is on the way too. Seems NAB is the choice.

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by astrotoy View Post
    Moi aussi

Mine arrived today
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    USA Dealer of Center Stage Feet and owner of PitchPerfect Sound (www.pitchperfectsound.com)
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

Member Sponsor [Industry Expert]
    I record all the masters in NAB, which to my ears sound fuller & warmer in the midbass than masters recorded in CCIR...

Now I know just about everyone records in CCIR.... & this is not a knock against them.... but just in the repertoire I record, with my equipment, in my space.... I prefer NAB

I think the key is, the more we are drawn into the sound & performance, the more natural - "better" it is...

I have made the Zigeunerweisen tape many times... but I'm drawn into that music every time I make that tape...
    Last edited by Edward Pong; 07-20-2017 at 05:44 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast