TAD C600 Pre Amp thoughts....

Realsoftmonkey

Jun 16, 2017
My thoughts on owning this pre amp.

My view expressed is just an opinion, personal and not held up as anything but my humble opinion in my set up. It's what I hear and understand, as balanced as I can be. I will try to be descriptive and accurate and not let what I "like" interfere with the description too much. But ultimately, it's just my take and nothing more. Feel free to ignore.

For reference I have had 30 years of audiophile fun, mistakes, highs, lows and learning. I'm a neurotic audiophile that's learnt to relax and separate listening to the sound from the music (when possible , I can enjoy both on the right recordings of course). I've come to believe there is no "holy grail" in HiFi for me. Which is fine. Chasing the perfect sound on everything I listened to became expensive, frustrating and ultimately unnecessary. Again, just for me, over time I have come to value true quality and heritage in audio companies and look for depth, history and engineering if I'm to spend huge sums. I'm don't spend large sums anymore on poor electronics and speakers, but I'm happy to spend at the more extreme end if it offers value. I'm absolutely a genuine 100% music lover, with a huge cd collection built from 10 years old. I'm CD only, ripped in AIFF and played via my network or the old fashioned way. Not a downloader and have not found hi res or upscaling to work for me personally. I'm a CD guy.

I'm listening with sotm 200 and separate power supply, roon, hq player and a 2017 Mac Pro, TAD D1000 cd/sacd /dac mk 2, Tannoy Kingdom Royals driven by Audionet Max monos. Power strips and power cables nordost, other cables MIT. I know this kit very well and have had some of it for 3 years plus. I replaced my beloved Cary Audio SLP-05 Pre Amp with the C600 pre.

If your not already bored, onto the pre.......

There is nothing missing at all. I can not find any lacking of anything in this pre amp. If there is something missing I can not locate it. It's bass is deep and powerful and fast. The treble is accurate and goes as cleanly and as high as any recording allows. Dynamically it's effortless all of the time. Its resolution is unmatched in my experience, probably due to the obsessive materials, components and attention to detail in addressing vibration internally and airborne. The separate power supply makes this possible also. The stereo image is stable and offers depth, width and insight into the engineers recording. All of the above is present IF THE RECORDING HAS IT.

Everything that characterises descriptive sound comes from the recording, and the TAD will give you that and the recording will sound anything from beautifully lush and transparent to thin, harsh and lacking dynamics. Personally I can still enjoy the music and be comfortable in the high quality of the replay system, but some may want a different approach. That's fine, don't bother with TAD. I like to hear the artist and engineering as they laid it down. But that's just me. That's where I've ended up, I accept bad recordings and enjoy them. Not for everyone but in the end that's what I've come to want.

Any comments that there is a dry or unemotional character I can not relate to. Personally, it pulls me in musically more than any more warm, lush or rich sounding gear and I've had plenty of that and enjoyed it. I could not describe the sound of this preamp as cold, warm, dry or rich. I can tell you if a recording has any of those qualities, it will give you any or all of those qualities. For better or for worse, without adding or taking away. It's supremely capable in all the audiohpile areas we love, totally and utterly capable overall. But it's honest and the recording will be opened up for your inspection.

Everyday I listen to music. I put on whatever I fancy. If it's a recording that is thin or bright or just not one I like, I listen to the music and I enjoy it. I'm fine that it sounds like that, and I'm pleased that the system is giving me insight into the recorded medium. I'm pleased and calmed by its ability to give me the truth. If it's a wonderful recording, then I enjoy the care and quality of that recording and again, I appreciate how the system can capture that engineers and artists effort. There's nothing like a great recording of course! My journey has ended with the truth, and the knowledge that I simply will never have audio perfection, primarily because not all recordings are made equal. What I do want it that my system is good enough and engineered well enough, by experienced and capable companies and individuals, to give me that recording as close as it can be to the disc.

There's a lot of **** in HiFi. Badly put together, poor production techniques, bad build quality, great marketing and press relations, and all for very large sums of money. I've bought some of that rubbish. I've pretended to like it because it's supposed to be good. Hearing the gear from quality companies made me realise I'd been conned. TAD are absolutely amoung the best professional and home audio businesses. They are not the only ones, but they are up there. They invest, they have built nearly a century of experience, and they don't trick you. The quality is there, but if you need all your music to sound the way you want it too, I'd say the C600 might not be for you.

I feel pleased I invested so much time and money in HiFi , and I enjoy my hobby. It keeps on giving! I want to hear the difference in recordings and value accuracy and (as best can be achieved) neutrality. I've come to want that, after many years. I don't want the "colour" or anything sexed up. I probably would have hated the C600 10 years ago, because when the recording wasnt great I wasn't able to listen to the music instead back then. It got on my nerves and I tried to change the presentation. This was my mistake. Now I've learnt where that got me. This is the preamp that I don't get bored of, I never want anything else, I trust the quality and accuracy and my audiophile mind quietens down a little.

The Mona Lisa is the Mona Lisa. Personally it's too dark for me, but probably not a good idea to add a lighter colour in the corner. Just a small, minor dab. Not sure Leonardo would appreciate it. As the artist intended works just fine, just don't expect to like it every time. In the same vein, I'd say leave a v8 Ferrari engine alone, they don't need their engines chipped. The engineers know how to build it just so.

I'm reassured by the bad recordings, I know the kit is good enough and just relax and enjoy the recordings character for what it is. The pre amp makes my music collection endlessly interesting because it changes with every disk. I don't get bored, but I do wish sometimes artists would have spent a bit more time on the recording itself rather than "just" the music.

It's not for everyone in our sport. For me it's right, but it all depends how you like your stake cooked. I think it offers value and it's at the very highest level of audio reproduction, but it f...king should be, its costs a fortune. And took me 30 years to be ready for it!

Stef

Jan 10, 2021
Paris / France
My thoughts on owning this pre amp.

My view expressed is just an opinion, personal and not held up as anything but my humble opinion in my set up. It's what I hear and understand, as balanced as I can be. I will try to be descriptive and accurate and not let what I "like" interfere with the description too much. But ultimately, it's just my take and nothing more. Feel free to ignore.

For reference I have had 30 years of audiophile fun, mistakes, highs, lows and learning. I'm a neurotic audiophile that's learnt to relax and separate listening to the sound from the music (when possible , I can enjoy both on the right recordings of course). I've come to believe there is no "holy grail" in HiFi for me. Which is fine. Chasing the perfect sound on everything I listened to became expensive, frustrating and ultimately unnecessary. Again, just for me, over time I have come to value true quality and heritage in audio companies and look for depth, history and engineering if I'm to spend huge sums. I'm don't spend large sums anymore on poor electronics and speakers, but I'm happy to spend at the more extreme end if it offers value. I'm absolutely a genuine 100% music lover, with a huge cd collection built from 10 years old. I'm CD only, ripped in AIFF and played via my network or the old fashioned way. Not a downloader and have not found hi res or upscaling to work for me personally. I'm a CD guy.

I'm listening with sotm 200 and separate power supply, roon, hq player and a 2017 Mac Pro, TAD D1000 cd/sacd /dac mk 2, Tannoy Kingdom Royals driven by Audionet Max monos. Power strips and power cables nordost, other cables MIT. I know this kit very well and have had some of it for 3 years plus. I replaced my beloved Cary Audio SLP-05 Pre Amp with the C600 pre.

If your not already bored, onto the pre.......

There is nothing missing at all. I can not find any lacking of anything in this pre amp. If there is something missing I can not locate it. It's bass is deep and powerful and fast. The treble is accurate and goes as cleanly and as high as any recording allows. Dynamically it's effortless all of the time. Its resolution is unmatched in my experience, probably due to the obsessive materials, components and attention to detail in addressing vibration internally and airborne. The separate power supply makes this possible also. The stereo image is stable and offers depth, width and insight into the engineers recording. All of the above is present IF THE RECORDING HAS IT.

Everything that characterises descriptive sound comes from the recording, and the TAD will give you that and the recording will sound anything from beautifully lush and transparent to thin, harsh and lacking dynamics. Personally I can still enjoy the music and be comfortable in the high quality of the replay system, but some may want a different approach. That's fine, don't bother with TAD. I like to hear the artist and engineering as they laid it down. But that's just me. That's where I've ended up, I accept bad recordings and enjoy them. Not for everyone but in the end that's what I've come to want.

Any comments that there is a dry or unemotional character I can not relate to. Personally, it pulls me in musically more than any more warm, lush or rich sounding gear and I've had plenty of that and enjoyed it. I could not describe the sound of this preamp as cold, warm, dry or rich. I can tell you if a recording has any of those qualities, it will give you any or all of those qualities. For better or for worse, without adding or taking away. It's supremely capable in all the audiohpile areas we love, totally and utterly capable overall. But it's honest and the recording will be opened up for your inspection.

Everyday I listen to music. I put on whatever I fancy. If it's a recording that is thin or bright or just not one I like, I listen to the music and I enjoy it. I'm fine that it sounds like that, and I'm pleased that the system is giving me insight into the recorded medium. I'm pleased and calmed by its ability to give me the truth. If it's a wonderful recording, then I enjoy the care and quality of that recording and again, I appreciate how the system can capture that engineers and artists effort. There's nothing like a great recording of course! My journey has ended with the truth, and the knowledge that I simply will never have audio perfection, primarily because not all recordings are made equal. What I do want it that my system is good enough and engineered well enough, by experienced and capable companies and individuals, to give me that recording as close as it can be to the disc.

There's a lot of **** in HiFi. Badly put together, poor production techniques, bad build quality, great marketing and press relations, and all for very large sums of money. I've bought some of that rubbish. I've pretended to like it because it's supposed to be good. Hearing the gear from quality companies made me realise I'd been conned. TAD are absolutely amoung the best professional and home audio businesses. They are not the only ones, but they are up there. They invest, they have built nearly a century of experience, and they don't trick you. The quality is there, but if you need all your music to sound the way you want it too, I'd say the C600 might not be for you.

I feel pleased I invested so much time and money in HiFi , and I enjoy my hobby. It keeps on giving! I want to hear the difference in recordings and value accuracy and (as best can be achieved) neutrality. I've come to want that, after many years. I don't want the "colour" or anything sexed up. I probably would have hated the C600 10 years ago, because when the recording wasnt great I wasn't able to listen to the music instead back then. It got on my nerves and I tried to change the presentation. This was my mistake. Now I've learnt where that got me. This is the preamp that I don't get bored of, I never want anything else, I trust the quality and accuracy and my audiophile mind quietens down a little.

The Mona Lisa is the Mona Lisa. Personally it's too dark for me, but probably not a good idea to add a lighter colour in the corner. Just a small, minor dab. Not sure Leonardo would appreciate it. As the artist intended works just fine, just don't expect to like it every time. In the same vein, I'd say leave a v8 Ferrari engine alone, they don't need their engines chipped. The engineers know how to build it just so.

I'm reassured by the bad recordings, I know the kit is good enough and just relax and enjoy the recordings character for what it is. The pre amp makes my music collection endlessly interesting because it changes with every disk. I don't get bored, but I do wish sometimes artists would have spent a bit more time on the recording itself rather than "just" the music.

It's not for everyone in our sport. For me it's right, but it all depends how you like your stake cooked. I think it offers value and it's at the very highest level of audio reproduction, but it f...king should be, its costs a fortune. And took me 30 years to be ready for it!
Extremely interesting review. Thanks for that! It's from 2017 so do you still own your C600 in 2022? I know that TAD is going to release a C700 but I'm considering buying the C600. Thanks in advance for your comments

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
Any news on new model? I was told by my dealer that no replacement this year

Stef

Jan 10, 2021
Paris / France
Any news on new model? I was told by my dealer that no replacement this year
My dealer told me end of year in Japan and next year shipping to other countries

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
Why don’t wait for new model?

Stef

Jan 10, 2021
Paris / France
Why don’t wait for new model?
Yes. This would be more rational indeed. Just wanted to enjoy a full TAD Preamp+Amp+Speakers synergy ASAP. So I asked a 5 years old thread if the user was still as happy as he was in 2017
Now using the Esoteric C1x which is good honestly

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
I am loaning C600 tomorrow from my dealer to try in my setup.

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
Yes. This would be more rational indeed. Just wanted to enjoy a full TAD Preamp+Amp+Speakers synergy ASAP. So I asked a 5 years old thread if the user was still as happy as he was in 2017
Now using the Esoteric C1x which is good honestly
Now i understand. Full TAD setup just gel in so well. It does not have the most rounded and sweet vocal compared to tube pre. But the low end extension, layering, holographic, envelopment and the noise floor are extremely good.

Stef

Jan 10, 2021
Paris / France
Now i understand. Full TAD setup just gel in so well. It does not have the most rounded and sweet vocal compared to tube pre. But the low end extension, layering, holographic, envelopment and the noise floor are extremely good.
Thanks for this feedback! Best components together sometimes don't ensure best synergy. I've heard many people praising TAD Preamp + Amp + Speakers combo. Tube sweet vocal can maybe be brought through DAC and adjusted cabling...

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
Thanks for this feedback! Best components together sometimes don't ensure best synergy. I've heard many people praising TAD Preamp + Amp + Speakers combo. Tube sweet vocal can maybe be brought through DAC and adjusted cabling...
I saw that you are using TAD speaker cable. How do you find?

Stef

Jan 10, 2021
Paris / France
I saw that you are using TAD speaker cable. How do you find?
Yes indeed. I moved from the KIMBER KABLE (KS 3038) speaker cables in silver that I liked a lot to the TAD speaker cables when I decided to do mono + bi-amping. I find it very neutral overall and I like to think that they are somehow the most simple and appropriate link between my TAD components. I still use Kimber for my XLR cables.
I also tried the NORDOST ODIN 1 speaker cables during many weeks but IMHO I was not convinced, everything seemed to be exaggerated. And you which cables have you tried?

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
Interesting, I will loan TAD XLR and speaker cable to have a try. Personally I like pairing with Skogrand and Signal projects. I am also using Odin 1 power cable and similar to you, there are times that I feel it is exaggerated.

Stef

Jan 10, 2021
Paris / France
Fully agree ! The most amazing preamp I have ever used. So neutral and transparent that it took me some time to accommodate. I'm really curious about the new C700 which will be released in 2024...

Reactions: Panas

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
C600M1.jpg

Reactions: Stef

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Simple short Signal path, Zero Negative Feedback , Huge Power Supply, very very dynamic and transparent

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
C600M2.jpg

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
IMG_4713.jpeg
Finally replace previous tube preamp with C-600. It’s a match made in heaven with other TAD gears.

Running in before travelling :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats! Big news. Enjoy the running in!

Stef

Jan 10, 2021
Paris / France
View attachment 115692
Finally replace previous tube preamp with C-600. It’s a match made in heaven with other TAD gears.

Running in before travelling :)
Congrats @kimurastanley ! The C600 is absolutely an amazing preamp, really transparent and elegant (almost tube like) certainly one of the best match for the 700s. Besides all the positif upsides do you feel that you "lost" something in the sound compared to your previous VAC Preamplifier?

Reactions: Amir

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing