Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basis Audio is Alive and Well! -- Los Angeles Audio Show 2017

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar

Basis Audio is Alive and Well! -- Los Angeles Audio Show 2017

Randy Cooley, purveyor of a highly customized and personal level of service from his Optimal Enchantment in Santa Monica, California, was, as usual, master of ceremonies in this room. Each year Randy uses a Basis Audio turntable and tonearm, Vandersteen speakers and Audio Research electronics, and each year Randy produces fantastic sound. 2017 was no exception!

Name:  IMG_0161.JPG
Views: 527
Size:  285.8 KB

This year marks Randy’s and Richard Vandersteen’s first demo room without A.J. Conti, respected and beloved founder of Basis Audio, who passed away last year. At the back of the room Randy displayed a photo of A.J., in tribute to and in remembrance of A.J.’s decades of contribution to advancing the art of vinyl playback. I think Randy was hoping that somehow A.J. was watching from above all of the audiophile visitors once again enjoying great music reproduced by Basis Audio’s latest products.

Name:  IMG_0159.JPG
Views: 458
Size:  334.1 KB

I was delighted to see that Basis Audio is continuing A.J.’s legacy and manufacturing existing products as well as new products. Randy was debuting a brand new Basis Audio turntable: the Transcendence.

Name:  IMG_0149.JPG
Views: 504
Size:  202.8 KB

The Transcendence is a significant departure from A.J.’s. fundamental use of acrylic in his turntables. Both the Inspiration and the Work of Art employed acrylic plinths and platters. (For many years Michael Fremer has questioned A.J.’s extensive use of acrylic.) So it is interesting that the last design on which A.J. was working is an all-steel turntable with, seemingly, no acrylic anywhere in sight. This brand new turntable was fitted with the top-of-the-line Basis Audio Superarm tonearm.

Name:  IMG_0151.JPG
Views: 479
Size:  206.4 KB

Randy was demonstrating the Vandersteen Seven Mk. II driven by Vandersteen liquid-cooled M7-HPA monoblock amplifiers, with matching subwoofers. Randy also was showing the new top-of-the-line HRS rack. The sound produced by this system was one of the very most natural and musical I heard anywhere at the show!

Name:  IMG_0153.JPG
Views: 454
Size:  404.9 KB

It is great to see that Basis Audio is not only surviving the passing of A.J., but is also releasing brand new, state-of-the-art, turntables. A.J. would be proud.
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Air Tight Opus-1; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies; line stage: VTL TL-7.5 Series III; amplifier: VTL Siegfried Series II; loudspeaker: Gryphon Pendragon; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Vintage Audio Nothing racks, Herzan TS-140/Taiko Tana for Io, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Benjamin Electric subpanel, JPS in-wall wire, Furutech NCF outlets, Torus AVR60BAL; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; acoustic treatment: SoundSense A.T.I. + Lumitex drapes + Vibramat, ASC IsoThermal Tube Traps; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks, self-propelled sound-absorbing cocker-poo

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    Did you get a photo of the new TT Ron
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    USA Dealer of Center Stage Feet and owner of PitchPerfect Sound (www.pitchperfectsound.com)
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

Yes; see above.

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Air Tight Opus-1; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies; line stage: VTL TL-7.5 Series III; amplifier: VTL Siegfried Series II; loudspeaker: Gryphon Pendragon; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Vintage Audio Nothing racks, Herzan TS-140/Taiko Tana for Io, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Benjamin Electric subpanel, JPS in-wall wire, Furutech NCF outlets, Torus AVR60BAL; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; acoustic treatment: SoundSense A.T.I. + Lumitex drapes + Vibramat, ASC IsoThermal Tube Traps; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks, self-propelled sound-absorbing cocker-poo

Excellent photos and commentary, Ron. That turntable is gorgeous. Are you possibly considering it for your own system? Do you know the price? It looks to be isolated by the four corner supports and the HRS shelf and rack. I've always like Basis tables and have fond memories of meeting AJ at his shop and getting a tour of his latest designs. He was a very nice guy.
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-22 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Q3, Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

This was the first room that I visited at the show. Randy is always a gracious host and was kind enough to play my Joe Pass LP. Unfortunately, I always feel the Vandersteen's are a weak part of Randy's system, and this time was no different. The new Basis looked great and was a surprise to me, as I always assume that Basis TT's utilize a lot of acrylic. Randy also always brings a lot of very good vinyl and I think he chooses what he plays wisely.
    Last edited by DaveyF; 06-09-2017 at 06:41 PM.

Member Sponsor [VIP/Donor]
    Best I've ever heard Vandys at a show, bar none. BOS for this audiophile, and I'm not a Vandy fan.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    Best I've ever heard Vandys at a show, bar none. BOS for this audiophile, and I'm not a Vandy fan.
    Interesting comment...simply goes to show that everyone has a different taste and a different expectation level.

Wow, this new Basis is gorgeous!

I still remember visiting Optimal Enchantment in the mid 80’s, and the system had always sounded really great!

DDK disagrees, but I think this new Transcendence looks a lot like a contemporary version of David's American Sound turntable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    DDK disagrees, but I think this new Transcendence looks a lot like a contemporary version of David's American Sound turntable.
    Personally, I think the Transcendence looks like a beautified version of the J C Verdier Platine instead

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast