Thread: USB to AES or SPDIF converter that passes native rate fed to it

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!

USB to AES or SPDIF converter that passes native rate fed to it

I use Roon and HQ Player feeding a MicroRendu as one of my front ends. That provides a great user interface and a high quality USB output signal.

I need to feed a device that has AES and spdif inputs. Is there a high quality USB to AES or SPDIF converter that passes the sample rate it's fed? I've got a nice Empirical Audio USB device, but it caps out at 192k PCM. I also looked at the Mutec 3+ but it appears to only output at a pre-selected PCM rate.
    Preamps: ADA Reference (multichannel); VTL 7.5 II (two channel)
    Digital: MSB Transport+ Platinum V DAC. Core Audio + MicroRendu streaming; Roon+HQP+FabFilter/Acourate; Trinnov (multichannel)
    Speakers: PRO Audio Technology 2115sm across fronts; 4x 18" PRO subs; 11.4 overall
    Room: Design by Dennis Erskine and Keith Yates. Extensive use of RPG custom bass traps
    Power: Richard Gray 20A UPS and isolation transformer. Triton/Typhon and Sound Application. Shunyata Sigma

Quote Originally Posted by Brucemck2 View Post
    I need to feed a device that has AES and spdif inputs. I also looked at the Mutec 3+ but it appears to only output at a pre-selected PCM rate.
    Mutec 3+ USB will output at the PCM rate you feed into it. It automatically detects and re-clocks the signal to the input rate, up to 192K. It does not do rate conversions. It will also convert DSD input to PCM, that output will be at a selected rate.
    -Paul

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Pkane, thanks! I didn't see that in a cursory read of the owner's manual
    Preamps: ADA Reference (multichannel); VTL 7.5 II (two channel)
    Digital: MSB Transport+ Platinum V DAC. Core Audio + MicroRendu streaming; Roon+HQP+FabFilter/Acourate; Trinnov (multichannel)
    Speakers: PRO Audio Technology 2115sm across fronts; 4x 18" PRO subs; 11.4 overall
    Room: Design by Dennis Erskine and Keith Yates. Extensive use of RPG custom bass traps
    Power: Richard Gray 20A UPS and isolation transformer. Triton/Typhon and Sound Application. Shunyata Sigma

Quote Originally Posted by Brucemck2 View Post
    Pkane, thanks! I didn't see that in a cursory read of the owner's manual
    For another USB to SPDIF/AES/EBU device you may want to consider Singxer SU-1. Very well made, works up to 384K PCM and up to quad DSD when used with a DAC that supports it.

SU-1 also just passes the input rate to the output, but unlike Mutec, it does not convert from DSD to PCM. This unit is tweaked by many (to add a linear power supply, to improve voltage regulators, replace capacitors, etc.), but works well in the stock configuration.
    -Paul