Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 37 of 37

Thread: 2017 Cable Guide

  1. #31
    [Technical Expert] [Industry Expert]
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by Brucemck2 View Post
    Thanks!

    Do you have any clients that "mix and match"? I've got an extra 8' Sigma Analog and a 4' Sigma High Current and a 3' Sigma Digital and I'd like to use one of the two shorter ones along with the one longer one on some new Kii3 speakers. They use nCore amps inside so they don't have massive current draws.
    While I wouldn't call it "ideal", the longer Analog and short Digital models would be ok used together as the difference between them in terms of the different filters is rather small, as opposed to the more massive gauge of the HC model, which may sound a bit unbalanced by comparison. The length differences are likely fine as unlike speaker cable length differences, power cord length differences are very subtle. It would be ideal to match two cords of the same design, but based on the application it may work to use one Analog and one Digital.

    Regards,

    Grant
    Grant Samuelsen
    Director, Marketing and Sales
    Shunyata Research

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdp632 View Post
    Can anyone clarify whether or not the new alpha and sigma digital interconnects such as SPDIF and AES contain the zitron technology ?

    I'm almost certain it was on the previous generation of those repspective cables.
    I’d like to know this too. I just purchased the Sigma AES and should have it in a couple of weeks. I’m currently using the Anaconda, so I’m curious to see how it compares.

  3. #33
    I have a PS Audio P3 regen with Viper power cables all around and Anaconda XLRs. As I mentioned in my prior post, I have the Sigma AES incoming. Any advice on whether upgrading the Viper power cables or Anaconda XLR would have more impact on sound?

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnzz4 View Post
    I have a PS Audio P3 regen with Viper power cables all around and Anaconda XLRs. As I mentioned in my prior post, I have the Sigma AES incoming. Any advice on whether upgrading the Viper power cables or Anaconda XLR would have more impact on sound?
    The new digital cables do not use ΞTRON® tech.
    They are made with a technology we call PMZ - Precision Matched Impedance.

    High-speed digital transmission is very different from audio frequency signal transmission and requires a different knowledge base and design criteria. Audio cable signal transmission is governed by the principles of inductance, capacitance, and resistance. By contrast, high-speed digital signals are governed by a principle known as ‘transmission line theory’. The performance of a transmission line is governed by the characteristic impedance of the cable. Certain types of cable require a specific characteristic impedance to achieve optimal performance — for instance, cable TV coaxial cables are 75 ohms, while test equipment cables require 50 ohm cables. Modern audio and entertainment systems may have multiple digital connections, each with potentially different characteristic impedances.

    While the characteristic impedance is a critical factor in the optimal performance of digital cables, our research also indicates that the precision with which a digital cable is constructed has a significant impact on its performance. Shunyata Research digital cables are produced using a Precision Matched Z concept. This dictates that tolerances of the conductor surface, dielectric extrusion, and the precision of the braided shield are held to smaller variances. To achieve these tight tolerances, the extrusion and braiding machines must be run at one-quarter speed during the manufacturing process. The result is better performance through a reduction of cable-induced ‘signal jitter’.

    Superficially, digital cables may look the same as analog cables. For example, a S/PDIF cable can be terminated with RCA connectors, much like analog interconnects. Because the terminations appear the same, analog interconnects could be used as a substitute for a digital cable; but since it has not been designed with the correct characteristic impedance, the performance will suffer.

    The new digital cables will provide a very significant performance improvement.
    Caelin Gabriel
    President
    Shunyata Research

    If you want to contact me, send a message to info@shunyata.com

  5. #35
    Addicted to Best! SCAudiophile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Greer South Carolina (USA)
    Posts
    706
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnzz4 View Post
    I’d like to know this too. I just purchased the Sigma AES and should have it in a couple of weeks. I’m currently using the Anaconda, so I’m curious to see how it compares.
    I'm not sure what AES cable(s) you are currently using but earlier this year I went from a top of the line AES cable (2 actually) between my Esoteric P-02 and D-02 that had been in place and
    unbeaten for over 4 years in my system; I loved what the cable did for extracting detail and music with my transport and DAC and I had not ever found one that would beat them even at
    higher (than their $3K per meter per cable) price.

    That all ended with the SIGMA AES cables arrival from Shunyata earlier this year; by the end of day-1 it was clear they were special and were going to stay. By days 3-5 they 'woke up'
    even further and revealing amazing improvements in every aspect of musical playback. I called Caelin on days 1-5 to discuss what I was hearing. One conversation on day 1 is
    particularly fresh in my mind regarding my overall astonishment at how the SIGMAs took a system that was already at 100% satisfaction with the music and added even better
    overall tonality, accuracy in every frequency band and more detailed and impactful bass (without being too much or artificial). Musical tones have 'color' if you will stemming
    from the different materials each instrument is made out of; this is particularly evident in the percussion instrument category but no less in all others. I was amazed at how
    the system with a straight swap of one pair of widely regarded "SOTA" AES cables for the SIGMAs could improve as much as I was hearing straight out of the pouch and
    then continue to improve to the level it did consistently in the first 2-4 weeks of ownership. KPIP processing is the real deal and I've never heard its equal; things sound
    great and fully matured in the first day or two without 'burn-in' but they do mature even further with proper burn-in following that.

    FWIW....the Sigma AES should make your day IMHO; I'd be interested in hearing back from you in detail once you get them.

    What are they going to replace in your system? In my case, the KS "ELATION" AES cables that I had held for many years were easily parted with a few days after
    putting in the SIGMAs (and with fond memories as they are a great cable) but frankly now for digital, including all my clocking cables, it will be Shunyata SIGMA
    for everything until Mr. Gabriel and team find a way to beat the unbeatable which I would imagine will take a damned long time based upon what I am hearing!

    Mark
    TAD R1 MkII, w/ULTRA5s, Esoteric P02, D02, C02, A02, Cybershaft Premium LTD OP21 10 mHz, SHUNYATA TRITONv3 & TYPHON QR, 10’ Ground Rods, CADWELD, Avatar Acoustics AfterBurner8, Elrod MASTER SERIES Statement Gold, Statement Gold & Statement Silver PCs, Elrod Statement Gold XLR, Shunyata SIGMA AES, SIGMA CLOCK-50, B.M.C. PureUSB1, Elrod Statement Gold custom speaker cables & MASTERS SERIES SG JUMPERS, Adona AV45, Composite Audio CF-2010, HRS DPX

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
    I'm not sure what AES cable(s) you are currently using but earlier this year I went from a top of the line AES cable (2 actually) between my Esoteric P-02 and D-02 that had been in place and
    unbeaten for over 4 years in my system; I loved what the cable did for extracting detail and music with my transport and DAC and I had not ever found one that would beat them even at
    higher (than their $3K per meter per cable) price.

    That all ended with the SIGMA AES cables arrival from Shunyata earlier this year; by the end of day-1 it was clear they were special and were going to stay. By days 3-5 they 'woke up'
    even further and revealing amazing improvements in every aspect of musical playback. I called Caelin on days 1-5 to discuss what I was hearing. One conversation on day 1 is
    particularly fresh in my mind regarding my overall astonishment at how the SIGMAs took a system that was already at 100% satisfaction with the music and added even better
    overall tonality, accuracy in every frequency band and more detailed and impactful bass (without being too much or artificial). Musical tones have 'color' if you will stemming
    from the different materials each instrument is made out of; this is particularly evident in the percussion instrument category but no less in all others. I was amazed at how
    the system with a straight swap of one pair of widely regarded "SOTA" AES cables for the SIGMAs could improve as much as I was hearing straight out of the pouch and
    then continue to improve to the level it did consistently in the first 2-4 weeks of ownership. KPIP processing is the real deal and I've never heard its equal; things sound
    great and fully matured in the first day or two without 'burn-in' but they do mature even further with proper burn-in following that.

    FWIW....the Sigma AES should make your day IMHO; I'd be interested in hearing back from you in detail once you get them.

    What are they going to replace in your system? In my case, the KS "ELATION" AES cables that I had held for many years were easily parted with a few days after
    putting in the SIGMAs (and with fond memories as they are a great cable) but frankly now for digital, including all my clocking cables, it will be Shunyata SIGMA
    for everything until Mr. Gabriel and team find a way to beat the unbeatable which I would imagine will take a damned long time based upon what I am hearing!

    Mark
    Given your positive experiences using the SIGMA digital cables. Have you considered trying the other respective Sigma cables in your system? Perhaps a synergy of a whole Sigma loom for speaker and interconnects might be just as impressive as the digital cables.

  7. #37
    Addicted to Best! SCAudiophile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Greer South Carolina (USA)
    Posts
    706
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdp632 View Post
    Given your positive experiences using the SIGMA digital cables. Have you considered trying the other respective Sigma cables in your system? Perhaps a synergy of a whole Sigma loom for speaker and interconnects might be just as impressive as the digital cables.
    I have 3 SIGMA CLOCK50 cables as well.....have also tested the SIGMA NR power cords and a TRITON v3 power conditioner as of late; they are amazing.
    I have to chill out on new and upgrade purchases for a bit of time so no changes possible at the moment. Caelin and team I feel are doing their best
    work ever (I used to own a LOT of Shunyata back in the days of the original Hydra8, Anaconda VX, Anaconda and Taipan (VX and regular)....I cannot
    wait to put the rest of my plans for their gear in place!
    TAD R1 MkII, w/ULTRA5s, Esoteric P02, D02, C02, A02, Cybershaft Premium LTD OP21 10 mHz, SHUNYATA TRITONv3 & TYPHON QR, 10’ Ground Rods, CADWELD, Avatar Acoustics AfterBurner8, Elrod MASTER SERIES Statement Gold, Statement Gold & Statement Silver PCs, Elrod Statement Gold XLR, Shunyata SIGMA AES, SIGMA CLOCK-50, B.M.C. PureUSB1, Elrod Statement Gold custom speaker cables & MASTERS SERIES SG JUMPERS, Adona AV45, Composite Audio CF-2010, HRS DPX

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Similar Threads

  1. Buying guide to VHF Radios
    By amirm in forum Boating Technical and Safety Videos
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-20-2013, 10:09 AM
  2. Acronym Guide for Baby Boomers
    By MylesBAstor in forum Off Topic Forum-Anything Goes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-02-2012, 02:20 PM
  3. New Headphone Guide/Review
    By amirm in forum Headphones/Earphones
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-09-2010, 12:14 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •