ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I am in negotiations to purchase these as I want a surround setup.

Just kidding.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
2nd time for this ad.....I wouldn't sell mine for $79k

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Me neither but then again I don't need to. The used market is not kind though so I understand his pricing.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The used market is not kind though so I understand his pricing.

No one will buy a very expensive high-end used item at over 50% of new retail price . But sometimes sellers price them higher just to have a good margin for offers ...

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
No one will buy a very expensive high-end used item at over 50% of new retail price . But sometimes sellers price them higher just to have a good margin for offers ...

Wouldn't this depend on the brand? I usually see McIntosh slightly used current models hold their value much better than 50%.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Wouldn't this depend on the brand? I usually see McIntosh slightly used current models hold their value much better than 50%.

there are no McIntosh products with list prices in the over $100k range.

and no one is buying McIntosh used gear for $79k.

iconic value sorta becomes a non issue in that price territory (unless it's a watch or the right model of Porsche). and even though it's limited edition, there is better coming down the track.

at those prices used value is based on off-set from the street price of new. so in this case, Magico and their dealers selling new Magico is the competition; so if the new M3's street price is 'X' then that will determine the relative used M-Pro value.....as that is the alternative. when the next model above the M3 comes out then that will take away any remaining iconic value. not that the M-Pro might not be around equal in performance.

brick and mortar 'uber' speaker companies keep the new models coming. their dealers depend on it.

stay tuned.

Adimon

Jan 4, 2011
Is it coincidence or ..
This is the third Magico owner I know who sells the speaker because tinnitus.
Is this disease caused by Magico???

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
It has always been difficult to sell expensive gear on line. I think that it is better to get a dealer involved once the price is above 20K

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Is it coincidence or ..

Tinnitus, as far as anyone can tell, doesn't start at the ears.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Is it coincidence or ..

LOL

"I suffer from tinnitus and general hearing loss, and cannot play music loud (above 70db A)."

I have found that turning the volume up overcomes the tinnitus. :)

Adimon

Jan 4, 2011
Hi BlueFox,

Sorry to hear.
I didn't mean to hurt you.
I read about Tinnitus caused by excessive loud noise, surgery , stress etc.

Maybe of the low distortion of de Magico's people listen to music at higher levels

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The new tweeter in that MPro is amazing and I hear much less high frequency induced distortion causing fatigue with these speakers than most others I've heard. I do think that people might tend to listen a bit louder with such a speaker because of the clarity and lack of distortion.

It seems like a pretty good deal for an amazing speaker, but I think it will sell for less, perhaps in the $60K range. To truly enjoy a system with a speaker of this caliber, one needs a very good room and associated gear plus excellent set up. It will be a good deal for some lucky buyer.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Hi BlueFox,

Sorry to hear.
I didn't mean to hurt you.
I read about Tinnitus caused by excessive loud noise, surgery , stress etc.

Maybe of the low distortion of de Magico's people listen to music at higher levels

I always adjust volume with SPL meter in order to protect my ears -- sometimes I'm not too happy that I have to keep it restricted, but my hearing is too valuable to me (obviously...). I follow NIOSH recommendations (expressed in dBa; the corresponding dBc (dB) would be louder):

https://www.gcaudio.com/tips-tricks/decibel-loudness-comparison-chart/

I allow for louder peaks on symphonic music because these are shorter; I avoid those levels on rock music with its more steady volume.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing