Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: ZenWave Audio D4 Interconnect

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best! DaveC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bazelio View Post
    Personally, I would treat such numbers as being useful only in relative terms. They help to describe the magnitude of tonal shift (among other things) between various cables. So, his 2% might be your 5% in absolute terms, however you'll both probably agree that the A/B difference between the "2%" cable and the "20%" cable is sufficiently large in a highly resolving system. I'd personally put the D5 much closer to the 20% than the 2% in relative terms after my brief listen to both, FWIW. That being said, I've never heard the cable that Dave describes as having "20% warmth".

One thing with the D5 is the character of the warmth is different vs copper so it's hard to compare... I would say the overall warmth is similar vs my copper cables but resolution/clarity is much better.
    Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio
    zenwaveaudio.com
    dave@zenwaveaudio.com
    Furutech Dealer

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    It's just my (questionable) attempt to communicate how the cables sound, no precision involved, it's not measured.

As for determining neutral, #1 is resolution, #2 is timbre and tone. #1 is fairly objective although I don't know how to measure it. #2 is subjective and very system-dependent. There is also the lack of either pleasant or unpleasant coloration, much of this is easy to identify with practice as it falls into certain categories, i.e. copper sounds a certain way, stranded vs solid-core wire sounds a certain way, etc...

#2 is the issue... the trick is to maximize #1 while achieving #2, then you have the right balance. For some, the D5 is going to be closer to the right balance as it adds more warmth without sacrificing too much resolution. It might actually make sense to make a D4.5 that's halfway in between, but that might be splitting hairs and just causing confusion with too much choice. And as many have found, there's isn't much interest in a zero-warmth cable... most are willing to sacrifice some resolution for some warmth.

I would also say that perception of tone has an effect on resolution, so a warm cable in a warm system might sound bloated and slow while in a neutral system might sound really nice... this explains differences in opinion and experience with different components to some degree.
    You always respond with wisdom. Also like your honesty and approach to business.

Wish you the very best,
    Tang

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    You always respond with wisdom. Also like your honesty and approach to business.

Wish you the very best,
    Tang
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post

Wish you the very best,
    Tang
    Thanks, I appreciate it!
    Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio
    zenwaveaudio.com
    dave@zenwaveaudio.com
    Furutech Dealer

Hi Dave,
    I just wonder if you tried to use the D4 conductor to make power cable . How does it sound ?
    Please share
    Thank you.
    Jsn

Quote Originally Posted by jsn View Post
    Hi Dave,
    I just wonder if you tried to use the D4 conductor to make power cable . How does it sound ?
    Please share
    Thank you.
    Jsn
    I have not... it would be a very expensive power cable, around $1200/ft for an 11g cable. However, this and a version of my ICs and SCs using the silver/gold wire with cotton and inert gas dielectric are a possibility for a cost-no-object line of cables. I have made a prototype D4 with inert gas dielectric.

Currently my cables approach or even exceed the performance of some cost-no-object cables but the goal of ZenWave is to offer the best possible value. I don't go quite as far down the road of diminishing returns vs cost-no-object products but one day I may do so.
    Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio
    zenwaveaudio.com
    dave@zenwaveaudio.com
    Furutech Dealer

One thing with the D5 is the character of the warmth is different vs copper so it's hard to compare... I would say the overall warmth is similar vs my copper cables but resolution/clarity is much better.
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for you contribution and industry insight on WBF.

Would the D4/D5 IC be overkill for a subwoofer setup if the crossover is in the 100Hz range?
    Does the characteristics of resolution/clarity extend into the bass or would a UPOCC Cu cable be adequate?
    Is that a specific test you have performed.
    Unfortunately I am not in the US so a loan cable would be difficult to to test in my own setup.

G

Quote Originally Posted by heebrog View Post
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for you contribution and industry insight on WBF.

Would the D4/D5 IC be overkill for a subwoofer setup if the crossover is in the 100Hz range?
    Does the characteristics of resolution/clarity extend into the bass or would a UPOCC Cu cable be adequate?
    Is that a specific test you have performed.
    Unfortunately I am not in the US so a loan cable would be difficult to to test in my own setup.

G

I'd say no for the D5, maybe for the D4... bass will be cleaner vs a copper IC but how much this will matter to you is very hard to judge. I'd probably recommend my D1 to be honest, it's a very good UPOCC copper cable for a very good price.
    Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio
    zenwaveaudio.com
    dave@zenwaveaudio.com
    Furutech Dealer

Dave shipped me bunch of cables to demo and ended up buying a D4 XLR. Excellent cable!

Dave,
    The D5 sounds interesting. Why aren't these offered with XLRs?

As an aside, I very much enjoy your posts - very thoughtful, perceptive.... and educational. Thank you.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast