Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: ZenWave Audio D4 Interconnect

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best! DaveC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post
    Dave,
    The D5 sounds interesting. Why aren't these offered with XLRs?

As an aside, I very much enjoy your posts - very thoughtful, perceptive.... and educational. Thank you.
    Thanks!

XLRs are different in that they have 2 signal runs with a net zero voltage between them, so the pin1/ground connection doesn't serve as both the signal and ground as it does with an RCA cable. However, the pin1 connection is certainly audible. Also with RCA cables you want the ground/return connection to have less resistance (this reduces noise voltages created by differences in potential between component grounds) while the signal leg doesn't matter so much. With an XLR cable you need to have both signal legs exactly the same. So while they are both interconnect cables they are really quite different as well.

The D4 XLR already uses the OCC silver/gold wire for both signal legs and UPOCC silver for pin1, so the D4 XLR is a little closer to the D5 already, and using silver/gold for pin1 isn't going to make as much difference vs the RCA cable.

It's a good question but the answer isn't simple. It's tempting to just call the current D4 XLR the D5 but it might be a little misleading as the D5 RCA is going to be a bit warmer vs the current D4 XLR.
    Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio
    zenwaveaudio.com
    dave@zenwaveaudio.com
    Furutech Dealer

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    XLRs are different in that they have 2 signal runs with a net zero voltage between them, so the pin1/ground connection doesn't serve as both the signal and ground as it does with an RCA cable. However, the pin1 connection is certainly audible. Also with RCA cables you want the ground/return connection to have less resistance (this reduces noise voltages created by differences in potential between component grounds) while the signal leg doesn't matter so much. With an XLR cable you need to have both signal legs exactly the same. So while they are both interconnect cables they are really quite different as well.
    A very correct explanation.

Much of the 'pin 1 problem' is inside poorly designed hi-fi components.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    Thanks!

The D4 XLR already uses the OCC silver/gold wire for both signal legs and UPOCC silver for pin1, so the D4 XLR is a little closer to the D5 already, and using silver/gold for pin1 isn't going to make as much difference vs the RCA cable.

It's a good question but the answer isn't simple. It's tempting to just call the current D4 XLR the D5 but it might be a little misleading as the D5 RCA is going to be a bit warmer vs the current D4 XLR.
    Dave,
    Thanks for the insight. The genesis for my question is your last sentence - the slight additional warmth of the D5 over the D4.

Dave,
    Thanks for the insight. The genesis for my question is your last sentence - the slight additional warmth of the D5 over the D4.
    The perception of correct tone/timbre varies so I believe a demo is the best way to go. Let me know if you're interested!
    Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio
    zenwaveaudio.com
    dave@zenwaveaudio.com
    Furutech Dealer

Dave,
    As Dave says, demo both. When I demoed both the D4 and D5, I found the overall difference between them to be not slight. I think most people will have a clear preference for one or the other.

My original inquiry was about the the possibility of the D5 being offered with XLRs (since I have a clear preference for these). So a D3/D3.5 to D4 XLR comparison would probably make more sense in my case.

My original inquiry was about the the possibility of the D5 being offered with XLRs (since I have a clear preference for these). So a D3/D3.5 to D4 XLR comparison would probably make more sense in my case.
    Sure, you're welcome to try out both.
    Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio
    zenwaveaudio.com
    dave@zenwaveaudio.com
    Furutech Dealer

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456