New Full-Range Ribbon Speaker Line Debuting in Munich

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Heard this speaker and it has great potential but not for 80k!! It was a bit harsh on peaks but I blame the amps, which were possibly clipping.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Graz doing his ground up tricked out "Uber Duettas" for $50k
Why would you bother w these?

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
The production of Leonardo is stopped.
Producer has one that is selling at a very good price if someone is interesting

vdorta

Dec 26, 2010
Issaquah, WA
www.dorta.com
The Alsyvox speakers are a development of the Leonardo by the same designer, Daniele Coen. It looks like they moved to Spain. The "gaudy" look is perhaps due to the photography, it's just teak wood. I remember Clement Perry saying good things about the original Leonardo push-pull ribbon planar.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
How on earth did I miss this room? I was there at the show. Where the hell was it LOL?

94DB and 4 Ohms is promising, with neodymium magnets, presumably on both sides of the bass driver as per the Leonardo. Shame there's no real bass on the recording being played. I wonder if the bass panel configuration can really manage Apogee levels of bass extension and drive, but without trying it with a realistic recording, who knows. It ought to be more linear, as there shouldn't be more suck than push, as per the "single ended" Apogee configuration.

Three panels per side configs could be pretty interesting in a huge room.

Got to be honest the sonics on the video aren't exactly mind blowing, but videos can be misleading. Very much so. Just that this guy uses decent kit usually and I have heard better recordings on his YouTube channels.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
This was at that parallel show in a hotel somewhere else in Munich, not in the show proper...

That room was fairly impressive, but the musical selection made it hard to get a good grasp of what the speakers do. It was mostly chamber, solo instruments, or a little vocal here and there. Nothing big or major.

That said, everything sounded pretty tight and and with extraordinary transparency.

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
I was also very impressed by that system with the Alsy Vox, in spite of the weird electronics... Didn't bother asking for the price... $80k... Damn!

I Also listen to this set up in Muchen. I have no expectations and never heard about this company.
But what surprise this speakers was up at the same level as the best at the show regardless of price.
Fantastic sound. So open and airy. Big soundstage. Micro o micro details in spades. Excellent dynamics and fast bass.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I believe they're retailing for €80k.
The qs then, are:

What should one expect for that price? Pretty much the lot, it had better be consistent, a lot of other box spkrs at that price perform flawlessly.

Does one buy these over restored Graz Apogees? One cab get Duettas, Divas, Scintillas, Full Ranges fully restored for that price, w plenty of change left over. Heck, msybe even Grands.

Does one take a punt on a virtual unknown? Well, one might also view Apogee restores from one-man artisans as risky too.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
They have a room this year at RMAF so I plan to get some seat time and put them through the paces.

I have to say though at 80k which would easily be six figures here in the US there are a lot of really great sounding speakers for that price (and less) so I do have some lofty expectations about how they need to perform in order to justify that.

Will report back

vdorta

Dec 26, 2010
Issaquah, WA
www.dorta.com
As an apéritif before RMAF, here is Clement Perry's comment regarding the original Leonardo:

“Certainly the most powerful planar-magnetic loudspeakers I’ve ever heard, coupled with a bass output that rivals the best box enclosures regardless of price or prestige. Its high sensitivity rating of 93dB makes it a perfect match for tubes. However, unless you’re driving 600-watt tubes, I found these Italian marvels to sound their absolute best when driven by solid state devices. One of the most amazing and dynamic loudspeakers I have heard in a very long time.”
Clement Perry, Most Wanted Components 2012, The Stereo Times

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So I'm right, the Alsyvox is indeed the old Leonardo?

Is there any reason to be wary of this change?

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
What's with that disc player in the AVShowrooms video? Looks like a George Foreman hibachi and Medusa had a baby.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I believe they're retailing for €80k.
The qs then, are:

What should one expect for that price? Pretty much the lot, it had better be consistent, a lot of other box spkrs at that price perform flawlessly.

Does one buy these over restored Graz Apogees? One cab get Duettas, Divas, Scintillas, Full Ranges fully restored for that price, w plenty of change left over. Heck, msybe even Grands.

Does one take a punt on a virtual unknown? Well, one might also view Apogee restores from one-man artisans as risky too.

They sounded fantastic even with the weirdest looking electronics I ever saw. Top three at the show this year, IMO.

vdorta

Dec 26, 2010
Issaquah, WA
www.dorta.com
Yes, it looks like a prettier and updated Leonardo, including the unique base, plus several scaled-up models à la MG30.7. One never knows the ins and outs of a startup unless it hits gold. Leonardo was the first iteration of Mr. Coen's idea, Alsyvox is the development and the move to Spain may have to do with capital injection and better conditions. It will either triumph or die in the marketplace, and if I had money to burn I would certainly buy a pair, but that's me.

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
Graz doing his ground up tricked out "Uber Duettas" for $50k
Why would you bother w these?

As far as I know, none of Graz's Apogee speakers have been professionally reviewed or received any acclaim at audio shows. Those who have heard them were never wowed by them (my own direct communications). Although he has done a fantastic job with the ribbons and build quality of the his Apogee speakers, Graz is not an engineer. To really take the Apogees to the next level, the crossover needs to be reworked. I know North Creek reworked the crossover on his personal Apogee Stage speakers far after the original Apogee company went under, and it had profound effect on the sound of the speakers. It was a one off and no other Apogee including Graz's Apogees will see the this new crossover (Graz Apogee crossovers are North Creek designs, as far I know).

I owned the Stage and Centaur Major long ago and heard many Apogee models including the Caliper, Duetta, and Original Full Range.

My personal take on Apogees is that they need great care in setup to sound their full potential. I only knew one person who could do this and that was the late Jason Bloom of Apogee. No other person or dealer could set them up the way he could. I would only buy an Apogee if some one could set them up the way Jason Blood did, but I know of no one so far.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So did you hear the apogees set up by both rich Murry and Henk? Or are you only referring to the one offs that Graz did with synergy?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing