Do Grounding Devices produce the same sonic benefit as cables or is it different?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . .
This forum's topics on the subject are almost an information overload but valued by me - THANKS
Dave

Hahaha! "Fanaticism in the pursuit of audio is no vice."

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
Thank you, Roger
This I can do.
Two further questions:
1) Is this the same as the Granite Ground Zero box function, i.e. already neatly done for me for ~ $700 vs. self done at ~ $400??
2) Will this significantly, or completely, obviate the benefit of one of the expensive grounding box components such as Tripoint,, Entreq ?
Dave

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Thank you, Roger
This I can do.
Two further questions:
1) Is this the same as the Granite Ground Zero box function, i.e. already neatly done for me for ~ $700 vs. self done at ~ $400??
2) Will this significantly, or completely, obviate the benefit of one of the expensive grounding box components such as Tripoint,, Entreq ?
Dave
You know in the world of high end $700 is not much. You might go that route first to get a reference point. My grounding concept seems to produce the same sonic markers as the ones that are spoken of in high regard.

See if they offer a trial period. Good luck

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Grounding reveals your system for what it can be. It should be done first. While there are many methods and types to use I.E.
Ground boxes
Ground filters
Iso grounding transformers and in conjunction with above.

Next is cables they tune our setup ideally they should move our system to the center we want without muffling or muting details.

Now we have the most complex of all the interconnect that also grounds. I have played with many ways in all of the above . And the needs are truly individual for both our system and us .
Grounding can be done with filters too. I have even used bypass caps on the PSU in amps , this and simple grounding was huge.
In order grounding should be first and unless you have hum I would not go directly to a combo interconnect.

In short if you hear hum your miles away unless it's time to change caps. Next having no hum still does not mean your done ,
Grounding can unleash dynamics you never heard before and some can be false or real. But at some point you may feel you have improved your setup notible. At this point tune with cables. If you need grounding type cables like entreq. I would first lift grounds on amps and work backwards. Using a grounding post on amp to preamp may help but again trial and error.
If you go right to cables your going down a dark path that may lead to lights but by luck .
Use a note book take notes and use a few well known tracks to stay focused. As noise floor lowers music relaxes and inner details , low level details get revealed .
A great thread would be one person who has issues posts and all help , no need to spend big bucks at first cheap methods show what's needed in most cases.
I hope I helped some , I sell or make nothing but do love fine audio both analog and digital.
Good luck

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I have never had any need to lift grounds,all my safety grounds are left in place.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I am happy for you but in truth most setups may benefit from trying it. I said it not to leave but to,test and lifting grounds for testing is must . Just having a mixture of SE devices can couse havoc. In SE there are two,types. One is standard center conductor and shield . The shield is at ground potential . The second is both sides of the signal are not grouned. So if you mix them one must lift the ground on one side or both to confirm sound. Hi end audio is complex and many don't get what they can from there setups exactly from your comment.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
This device will improve the SQ...just as the rest will. If you could figure out how to adapt lower resistance cables that would be interesting. I would always use the preamp outlet and it’s panel screw as the connection back to panel ground because your preamp connects all sources,amplifiers,ect.
The most efficient single point system is to connect all preamp connected chassis to a copper bar with many fastener screws for very low resistance cable and mount that to your preamp chassis.....................................................
What you’re doing is matching the studio ground level with your system. Hence why the incredible increase in system SQ....no mystery or magic...just common sense.
Yes, this would be a excellent 'good engineering practice' system.
The idea is to reduce the impedance from chassis to chassis.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) The idea is to reduce the impedance from chassis to chassis.

Yes, impedance, this complex thing in both technical and semantic sense ...

However considering that most manufacturers have bizarre grounding techniques sometimes this practice can have unexpected results in sound quality. My advice is try and listen. Surely IMHO, YMMV.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
A better idea as tri point may offer is making the grounding inside your devices proper
The power cord should be the only ground source or not be used and use the casing. To use both is by definition a ground loop.
Now I know some will claim the makers know best but they don’t and as we mix Devices varying topology is against us.
It’s why I suggested lifting the power ground just to hear what happens. Grounding is paramount in all systems and having a large ground wide is only part of what’s needed.
If we use a power cord ground and a case ground or interconnect grounding cables we are making our systems far more complex and most likly add noise even if there is no hum there is noise in your music.
Dynamics must be have naturalness to it not strident. Also by playing with what I posted they may come a point that seems to lower the volume a bit. This more likly is good as it has lowered the hash in your music. Now of it makes it not have dynamics or makes it sound dull this is bad lol. But tying is paramount

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Yes, impedance, this complex thing in both technical and semantic sense ...

However considering that most manufacturers have bizarre grounding techniques sometimes this practice can have unexpected results in sound quality. My advice is try and listen. Surely IMHO, YMMV.

Micro I have grown to like your post more each time lol so nice to be technical and understand makers not acting in best methods
Great post

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Micro I have grown to like your post more each time lol so nice to be technical and understand makers not acting in best methods
Great post

Yes, but our problem is that most times, in spite of not acting in the officially accepted best methods, the sound quality of their equipment matches our preference and soul ... And the sound quality of those who claim to use the best methods sometimes does not appeal to me.

Anyway a mass of extremely hot air coming from North Africa is approaching southwestern Europe - no more tubes or separates for a week, bye bye grounding problems! :)

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Now that there are many Tripoint and Entreq Tellus users and enough opinions formed. Are the sonic benefits of upgrading cables the same as adding a grounding device? I'm curious to what users think.....Also what has had a greater transformation in sonic's ,particularly like bass,clarity,soundstage and others...cables or grounding devices? Directed at grounding device users only please.

I've written a review of the Synergistic ground plane which will publish soon. In my opinion, you need both good cables and good grounding for the best results. What I like about SR is that the product is very effective, low cost ($600) and the cables themselves, in addition to components, are grounded. You plug in the ground plane to a different outlet. In my listening room, I could A/B with the grounding plugged in or not. Having all the components and cables grounded made a nice difference. Many of the pricier grounding devices also limit the amount of connections you have.

You can try the SR Ground Plane for 30 days and return it if it doesn't meet your expectations.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing