YG Acoustics Sonja XV,, Wilson Audio Wamm Master Chronosonic, Raidho D -1.1

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
It's the difficult thing about the hobby, 100% subjective. YG's must be great speakers, they've sold thousands of pairs. I personally just don't like them. Or maybe I've never heard them with the right amp, room, cables, positioning, room treatments.......

sorry Jeff - I wasn't trying to correct your view on speakers. That's totally personal.

Just meant to say that YGs tend to do pretty well on show reviews. Not that show reports are worth much to me either...

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
YG’s are a speaker brand that used to really disappoint me when I first heard them. In the last few years, they have changed their designs...and are not using out sourced drivers..resulting in a much improved sound that now represents a speaker that I could easily live with. I think if one has not heard the newer versions, then a trip to hear these may well change your mind about this brand; it did mine.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Good morning Bruce Dee,

Were you listening to the hard edge metal banging sound of that train song of Hugh Masekela :p?

Just kidding around sir.

Tang

Wow! Ting Tang you are on the ball today!;)-- Funny I was just going through my notes of Show demos and came across the Hugh "Train Track(sic)!" that was playing in this suite

"Rather flat and voice as if governed from achieving the Dynamics it is capable of" Amps appeared to be limiting --size of room?--lack of drive?"

These were just my notes at the time

I wonder if it was similar to what Mike L is experiencing with his Lamm/Dart comparisons.

Sorry for the Transgression Mods---

Resume normal transmission:p

BruceD

IMG_2560.JPG

Last edited:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
It's the difficult thing about the hobby, 100% subjective. YG's must be great speakers, they've sold thousands of pairs. I personally just don't like them. Or maybe I've never heard them with the right amp, room, cables, positioning, room treatments.......

Now we're talking... That's why, in the previous store, we had 3 main systems, YG (cones/aluminum), Evolution Acoustics (cones/wood) and Avantgarde (horns). Between the three of them, it was easy to find a favorite, like you did!

And I, obviously, enjoyed them all!

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Yes I'm sure there have been occasions where the Speaker has performed admirably --I am only calling it as I heard it-- you mentioned a setting that was excellent -

I merely pointed to a "not so" one--two sides of the coin.

I spoke to Joe K after and he mentioned there were still

working the room to find the optimum presentation.

Sometimes the Politics involved in Room setup/gear usage can undermine even the best of intentions for all the participants.

Appreciate your participation in the Forum

BruceD

Thanks, Bruce. You're right on the money there, as far as politics sometimes getting in the way of obtaining a good, synergistic setup.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Now we're talking... That's why, in the previous store, we had 3 main systems, YG (cones/aluminum), Evolution Acoustics (cones/wood) and Avantgarde (horns). Between the three of them, it was easy to find a favorite, like you did!

And I, obviously, enjoyed them all!

I liked the Evolution Acoustics system you had as well. You have a pretty complete stable of speakers now with the addition of Wilson.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
sorry Jeff - I wasn't trying to correct your view on speakers. That's totally personal.

Just meant to say that YGs tend to do pretty well on show reviews. Not that show reports are worth much to me either...

Haha...I was actually agreeing with you. Sometimes the context behind the text is lost. Reviewers love YG's at shows, Zu's not so much. I disagree with this view 100%, I love Zu's.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I liked the Evolution Acoustics system you had as well. You have a pretty complete stable of speakers now with the addition of Wilson.

Yeah I loved it too! That big room in the back with the MM3 was actually the quietest of them all, so it was very enjoyable for classical, as well as more intimate stuff.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing