YG Acoustics Sonja XV,, Wilson Audio Wamm Master Chronosonic, Raidho D -1.1

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Spent a day with Lois Desjardins of Kronos trying to tune a pair of Sonya XV

All Soulution system with 701 755 and 725

I am sorry but in the many hours we were there I can conclusively say I never heard anything “special”

Lois thought the hailey was a much easier speaker to set up....

Room can really be the enemy. You might have seen pictures of a new WAMM system with Dartzeel in monoandstereo. Wilson guy came to setup. But guess what that room is still struggling to get the sound right. Doesn’t matter how excellent and expensive speakers are ....

Tang

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Room can really be the enemy. You might have seen pictures of a new WAMM system with Dartzeel in monoandstereo. Wilson guy came to setup. But guess what that room is still struggling to get the sound right. Doesn’t matter how excellent and expensive speakers are ....

Tang

You have a point. Some speakers need a kind of room - the classical example I always give is the Sonus Faber Extrema - it sounded lousy in some rooms, but in the proper large room where it could couple bass to the room it sounded magnificent, with scale, authority and soundstage.

Wilson Audio speakers are a curious case. They need proper placement and are not easy to set up, but I never learned about a case where a Wilson speaker could not fit acoustically the room. Probably that WAMM would fit mine!!! :D:D:D

BTW, could you post a link to the WAMM system with Dartzeel in monoandstereo? Thanks!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
You have a point. Some speakers need a kind of room - the classical example I always give is the Sonus Faber Extrema - it sounded lousy in some rooms, but in the proper large room where it could couple bass to the room it sounded magnificent, with scale, authority and soundstage.

Wilson Audio speakers are a curious case. They need proper placement and are not easy to set up, but I never learned about a case where a Wilson speaker could not fit acoustically the room. Probably that WAMM would fit mine!!! :D:D:D

BTW, could you post a link to the WAMM system with Dartzeel in monoandstereo? Thanks!

Hey Micro...here you go.

https://www.monoandstereo.com/2017/11/wilson-audio-wamm-master-chronosonic.html

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Having owned and dealt with YGs for years now, all I see in this thread is the same ol'... Blame the speakers. It's easier, after all, they're the biggest and likely most expensive things in the room.

If Tango wanted horns, nothing else would've sufficed, so I see no problem with him moving from YGs to a horn speaker (I would've just picked a different brand of horns, but that's just me).

Now, as I've said, I've heard the YGs with many amps (including lots not on that list I've posted above), and I know how "chameleon-like" they can be, depending on partnering gear (including cables). The choices of amps we have in the store are mostly driven by how well they pair with the YGs, as we know them to be particularly choosy in that aspect, and we can't have an amp that won't sound good with one of our main speaker lines.

Forgot to mention a beautiful amp, that was just perfect with the Sonjas: MSB 204 monoblocks.

cheers,
alex

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Having owned and dealt with YGs for years now, all I see in this thread is the same ol'... Blame the speakers. It's easier, after all, they're the biggest and likely most expensive things in the room.
alex

Hello Alex,

This thread is not same ol'...blame the speakers.

Reread what I wrote. Didnt I write that "room" could be the enemy to any good speakers. I cant speak for Awsmone but I thought he also said the "set up" was difficult so he didnt hear anything special. If speakers at this level dont sound right and excellent, it would be shallow to jump to such conclusion you were defending. Come on, cant we mention anything shy of positive about a very expensive equipment? We werent saying that the speakers themself are not good. We talked about the sound in a given set up. Maybe you were reading posts too fast.

Kind regards,
Tang

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Tango,

First, I addressed you situation specifically, and I said I did understand you wanting to move away from YGs to a horn speaker. The "blame the speaker" was not addressed to you anyway :)

YGs, while picky as far as partnering gear, are not particularly complicated to set up. I don't know about the XVs, as I haven't set one up (yet). But even Sonja 1.3/2.3 is relatively easy. Some people are blaming the room (on the original post in this thread), but since I know the speakers as well as the amplification, I know what's more likely to cause harm, and it's not the room...

I'm not trying to defend or curtail opinions. Bonzo said he didn't like YGs often, and I have no problem with that. I'm just saying the original poster might want to give the speakers a new chance, perhaps with different electronics. That's all.

cheers,
alex

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Actually, I said I thought they are often set up wrong, so sound bright or metallic, Usually due to associated components. And at Hailey level, they are less sensitive to room. And I really like them with the right amps

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Actually, I said I thought they are often set up wrong, so sound bright or metallic, Usually due to associated components. And at Hailey level, they are less sensitive to room. And I really like them with the right amps

In other words, that's exactly what I said, they're picky as far as partnering gear, but not so room-dependent :)
That goes for the entire line, not only Hailey. I've seen/heard Sonja set up in little hotel rooms, jammed against the corners, and they sounded fantastic, like this one here:

YG SONJA 1.2.jpg

Last edited:

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Every time YG's are discussed, I get a chuckle out of the defenders of these things. "Wrong amp"...."poor choice of cables"....."bad room"....it's always the same. Oh and I always like: "its hard to judge in a show setting."

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Tango, did you ever hear the YG XV's....I would suspect you would have changed your mind regarding the Cessaro's if you had. Assuming of course that you had the room for them. I think the XV's require an enormous room.

Bold statement - please explain further.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Every time YG's are discussed, I get a chuckle out of the defenders of these things. "Wrong amp"...."poor choice of cables"....."bad room"....it's always the same. Oh and I always like: "its hard to judge in a show setting."

I’ve read nothing but great things about YG at shows. Now Zu is different.

Let’s put Soulution amps on your speakers. You’ll be permanently spinning records at my place :)

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
For further clarity

Lois didn’t like the room, even though it was dedicated
Felt the flooring left a lot to be desired

He has set up YG four tower at shows and was quite emphatic that they are difficult to get to sound right , as I said he thought Hailey were much easier

I have previously heard largest Eventus with same electronics and sounded stunning

YG four tower I get the impression the big YG are a precision instrument and you need everything right to sing

Funnily Lois and I spent several days listening to the smallest YG on one of his turntables, and other than the limited bass, it sang

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

Jeffrey,

You're not that far from the store, IIRC. You're welcome to come and listen to the YGs on tube amps, and then SS amps. We won't have the "wrong amps" to prove my theory, of course, but at least you'll be able to see how they truly change character with an amp change.

I don't think it's hard to judge *a system* in a show setting. What's hard, if not impossible, is to determine what's wrong in a given system, in an unfamiliar room, with gear that you don't know well. And there's plenty of that going around, unfortunately. That's why I emphasized that I know both the speakers as well as the amps being used in the original post, and if the OP had any interest in the speakers, he should try them with different amps.

cheers,
alex

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Jeffrey,

You're not that far from the store, IIRC. You're welcome to come and listen to the YGs on tube amps, and then SS amps. We won't have the "wrong amps" to prove my theory, of course, but at least you'll be able to see how they truly change character with an amp change.

I don't think it's hard to judge *a system* in a show setting. What's hard, if not impossible, is to determine what's wrong in a given system, in an unfamiliar room, with gear that you don't know well. And there's plenty of that going around, unfortunately. That's why I emphasized that I know both the speakers as well as the amps being used in the original post, and if the OP had any interest in the speakers, he should try them with different amps.

cheers,
alex

Hi Alex,
I was at your store and spent all my time buying records and listening to the Avantgarde Duo's in the back room. Awesome experience.

I'll make it down to your new location soon.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
In other words, that's exactly what I said, they're picky as far as partnering gear, but not so room-dependent :)
That goes for the entire line, not only Hailey. I've seen/heard Sonja set up in little hotel rooms, jammed against the corners, and they sounded fantastic, like this one here:

View attachment 39618

While I agree entirely there --I heard the YGs in this configuration and it was rather hard edgy and not very pleasant

first impressions are meaningful :( sadly since then I have bypassed the brands demos-- maybe things have changed?

I'm open to be convinced

BruceD

CRW_1786.jpg

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hi Alex,
I was at your store and spent all my time buying records and listening to the Avantgarde Duo's in the back room. Awesome experience.

I'll make it down to your new location soon.

Ah, yeah I miss that room! I'd often go there and crank the sh*t out of that system, playing my weird prog stuff :) That system was perfect for that, and I do miss it dearly... Closest I'm getting to that "vibe" now is with the Air Tight EL34 amps and the Brodmann speakers. While not horns, they have nice warm sound, and are very "immediate" too, maybe because of the minimal crossover they employ.

Anyway, it'd be nice to see you again! We still have tons of records, BTW :)

cheers,
alex

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
While I agree entirely there --I heard the YGs in this configuration and it was rather hard edgy and not very pleasant

first impressions are meaningful :( sadly since then I have bypassed the brands demos-- maybe things have changed?

I'm open to be convinced

BruceD

View attachment 39619

BruceD,

Since you attached a different photo, I'm assuming you heard the old Anats with these Luxman monos, and not the system I posted (that was the Boulder room at CES, couple of years ago) What was the source in that system you've heard?

I am not going to convince anybody over the Internet :) So, the best I can do is to point to reports of our rooms at previous shows, specially the one last year with D'Agostino Progression monos and Audio Research REF10 preamp (+Linn source). "Hard edgy" is nowhere in those reports...

LA Audio Show 2017: D’Agostino muscle, Audio Research glow, YG finesse – an intoxicating mix
JA's First Report from the LAAS | Stereophile.com
LA Audio Show: Digital | The Absolute Sound
"[FONT=&quot]Playing through Audio Research electronics ... and YG Carmel 2’s (I love these speakers), the sound was warm and lovely."

These systems were put together precisely not to be 'hard edge and not very pleasant'. I know for a fact that there's gear out there that'll make the YGs sound just like that. We, of course, choose not to use them :)

cheers,
alex

[/FONT]

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Good morning Bruce Dee,

Were you listening to the hard edge metal banging sound of that train song of Hugh Masekela :p?

Just kidding around sir.

Tang

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I’ve read nothing but great things about YG at shows. Now Zu is different.

Let’s put Soulution amps on your speakers. You’ll be permanently spinning records at my place :)

It's the difficult thing about the hobby, 100% subjective. YG's must be great speakers, they've sold thousands of pairs. I personally just don't like them. Or maybe I've never heard them with the right amp, room, cables, positioning, room treatments.......

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
BruceD,

Since you attached a different photo, I'm assuming you heard the old Anats with these Luxman monos, and not the system I posted (that was the Boulder room at CES, couple of years ago) What was the source in that system you've heard?

I am not going to convince anybody over the Internet :) So, the best I can do is to point to reports of our rooms at previous shows, specially the one last year with D'Agostino Progression monos and Audio Research REF10 preamp (+Linn source). "Hard edgy" is nowhere in those reports...

LA Audio Show 2017: D’Agostino muscle, Audio Research glow, YG finesse – an intoxicating mix
JA's First Report from the LAAS | Stereophile.com
LA Audio Show: Digital | The Absolute Sound
"[FONT="]Playing through Audio Research electronics ... and YG Carmel 2’s (I love these speakers), the sound was warm and lovely."

These systems were put together precisely not to be 'hard edge and not very pleasant'. I know for a fact that there's gear out there that'll make the YGs sound just like that. We, of course, choose not to use them :)

cheers,
alex

[/FONT]

Yes I'm sure there have been occasions where the Speaker has performed admirably --I am only calling it as I heard it-- you mentioned a setting that was excellent -

I merely pointed to a "not so" one--two sides of the coin.

I spoke to Joe K after and he mentioned there were still

working the room to find the optimum presentation.

Sometimes the Politics involved in Room setup/gear usage can undermine even the best of intentions for all the participants.

Appreciate your participation in the Forum

BruceD

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing