YG Acoustics Sonja XV,, Wilson Audio Wamm Master Chronosonic, Raidho D -1.1

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
Reviews of all three speakers in the March hi-fi+

http://ebook3000.biz/hi-fi-plus-march-2017-download/

It's hardly a review of the WAMM Master Chronosonic. It's Alan Sircom's description based on the time he was able to spend with it.

"The loudspeaker challenges all your perceptions of what you thought possible from an audio system."

"The problem, stated earlier, is we simply don't have the words for this."

"I was truly humbled in front of these masterpieces, and several months later, I'm still processing the experience."

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Indeed, while not a full review in his system, Chris Martens puts it in no uncertain terms:

"Put all of these technical and sonic factors together and the YG Acoustics Sonja XV stands as the finest and by far the most accomplished loudspeaker I have yet heard, and by no small margin at that. If your budget and listening space permit, the Sonja XV will serve you as a mighty musical force for good and one that will not easily be equalled, let alone surpassed."

Also interesting is that the cat is out of the bag for the Sonja XV "Junior":

The Sonja XV Junior – A smaller alternative to theSonja XV
The Sonja XV is a big loudspeaker system that performsbest in sizable listening spaces—rooms larger thansome enthusiasts may possess. To address thispotential issue, YG Acoustics can—on a special orderonly basis—build what is in essence a ‘Sonja XV Junior’model that is identical to the full-size Sonja XV in mostrespects, but that foregoes the lower woofer modulesfrom both the standard XV’s main and woofer towers,reducing the total woofer count from four to two perspeaker. Naturally, this change also requires a special,purpose-built crossover network that compensates forthe shorter system’s reduced number of woofers. Theresult is a signi cantly more compact system that—apart from its absolute bass output capabilities—soundsidentical to the full-size Sonja XV and that may better tmid-sized listening rooms.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Indeed, while not a full review in his system, Chris Martens puts it in no uncertain terms:

"Put all of these technical and sonic factors together and the YG Acoustics Sonja XV stands as the finest and by far the most accomplished loudspeaker I have yet heard, and by no small margin at that. If your budget and listening space permit, the Sonja XV will serve you as a mighty musical force for good and one that will not easily be equalled, let alone surpassed."

The Sonja XV is a big loudspeaker system that performsbest in sizable listening spaces—rooms larger thansome enthusiasts may possess. To address thispotential issue, YG Acoustics can—on a special orderonly basis—build what is in essence a ‘Sonja XV Junior’model that is identical to the full-size Sonja XV in mostrespects, but that foregoes the lower woofer modulesfrom both the standard XV’s main and woofer towers,reducing the total woofer count from four to two perspeaker. Naturally, this change also requires a special,purpose-built crossover network that compensates forthe shorter system’s reduced number of woofers. Theresult is a signi cantly more compact system that—apart from its absolute bass output capabilities—soundsidentical to the full-size Sonja XV and that may better tmid-sized listening rooms.

Interesting how Hifi + has YG praised by Martens as "the best", while Sircom is on the Magico is best bandwagon

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River

Chris Martens has not heard the WAMM Master Chronosonic. He describes what he hears in terms of the speakers with which he has experience.

Alan Sircom describes what he hears at a completely different level and using a different vocabulary. The comparison has ceased to be other speakers.

This is pretty much the same reaction everyone has when faced with the WAMM Master Chronosonic.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
As much as I like Alan Sircom and his writing, those kind of 'heard at distributors location ' (Magcio M3) or 'heard at manufacturers location' (WAMM) reviews bring little real value to the readers.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
As much as I like Alan Sircom and his writing, those kind of 'heard at distributors location ' (Magcio M3) or 'heard at manufacturers location' (WAMM) reviews bring little real value to the readers.

What's more interesting in comparison is how we always see Wilson paired up with tube amps (VTL) and "Network " speaker cables like Transparent for this reviews.

Guess, Wilson doesn't use Spectral anymore due to the MIT Requirement. After all this speaker (WAMM) has Transparent cable inside of it supposedly? But, what makes the Opus cable different if there are no networks inside the speaker cabinet itself?

However, we see and read about Magico and YG for example using the latest Solid State Electronics from Germany and Switzerland for example. In addition, no network boxes on these speakers for most reviews.

I wonder how many of these "choices' on part of the speaker manufacturer have to do with performance and or really just part of the business.

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
What's more interesting in comparison is how we always see Wilson paired up with tube amps (VTL) and "Network " speaker cables like Transparent for this reviews.

Guess, Wilson doesn't use Spectral anymore due to the MIT Requirement. After all this speaker (WAMM) has Transparent cable inside of it supposedly? But, what makes the Opus cable different if there are no networks inside the speaker cabinet itself?

However, we see and read about Magico and YG for example using the latest Solid State Electronics from Germany and Switzerland for example. In addition, no network boxes on these speakers for most reviews.

I wonder how many of these "choices' on part of the speaker manufacturer have to do with performance and or really just part of the business.

All Wilson loudspeakers use Transparent raw cable internally and have for many years. Spectral Amps continue to be used at Wilson as well. They, among others, get quite a workout in the development of speaker designs.

Alan listened with D'Agostino Momentums and Siegfrieds. He reported that in the same sentence in his article. Most who have listened to the WAMM have listened on the solid state M400s.

Just curious. Is there a reason you capitalize solid state but not tube?

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
All Wilson loudspeakers use Transparent raw cable internally and have for many years. Spectral Amps continue to be used at Wilson as well. They, among others, get quite a workout in the development of speaker designs.

Alan listened with D'Agostino Momentums and Siegfrieds. He reported that in the same sentence in his article. Most who have listened to the WAMM have listened on the solid state M400s.

Just curious. Is there a reason you capitalize solid state but not tube?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Nope, just typing fast I guess.

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River

Evidently the people who publish them seem to believe (you would think backed by metrics) that readers actually do value these types of articles as they continue to publish them.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I don't have a problem with those articles. In the internet is rife with those "drive-bys", people's impressions of other people' systems and setups, so why can't the reviewer post a similar impression? As long as that condition is clearly stated in the article, I see no problem with it.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Evidently the people who publish them seem to believe (you would think backed by metrics) that readers actually do value these types of articles as they continue to publish them.

Sure, they read is an entertainment of sorts. But entertainment does not equal useful info. I bought the M3 and Alan's review didn't have any real value for me.

Someone from Soundstage (I think it was Doug Schneider) has recently written a long rant about this and I wholeheartly agree.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I don't have a problem with those articles. In the internet is rife with those "drive-bys", people's impressions of other people' systems and setups, so why can't the reviewer post a similar impression? As long as that condition is clearly stated in the article, I see no problem with it.

All depends if it's a reviewer brand you trust.

caesar

May 30, 2010

The incentives of most of the reviewers are skewed to benefit themselves and manufacturers, not the fans who are passionate about this hobby.

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
Sure, they read is an entertainment of sorts. But entertainment does not equal useful info. I bought the M3 and Alan's review didn't have any real value for me.

Someone from Soundstage (I think it was Doug Schneider) has recently written a long rant about this and I wholeheartly agree.

Perhaps what it gave you was an overview of the speaker and the experience Alan had with it. Who buys anything based solely on a review?

Anyone in the press ranting about the press is a bit of pot.kettle.black to me.

Of course as always, ymmv.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

I read magazines occasionally mostly for entertainment - although I have been reading less and less since I got good speakers ... :D But if I had spent money in this particular magazine based on its cover I would not be happy after having found that there is no serious - and this just means at less a few pages long so that will supply reading for more than two minutes - review of the WAMM in it.

As you say these listening sessions at the manufacturer or distributor are meaningless in terms of review, but sometimes supply a lot of information about the manufacturer objectives and preferences.

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
..But if I had spent money in this particular magazine based on its cover I would not be happy after having found that there is no serious - and this just means at less a few pages long so that will supply reading for more than two minutes - review of the WAMM in it..

FYI, the WAMM article covered the same number of pages (5) as the full Sonja XV review, both one more page than the full Raidho D1.1 review.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing