Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Zero Distortion: Reed, Thales, Feickert Firebird, and Pluto 12A with Ikeda 407

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Ked, can you give a bit more perspective on the Gran Gioia horns?
    At €50k, they kinda fit into the price point btwn AG Duo Mezzos and Trios
    What were the pros and cons of the sound?

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by marslo View Post
    Agreed , Blumenhofer Genuin FS1 mk2 driven by Cary Audio 805 monos were one of best of show to me in Warsaw 2015.
    Different presentation than AG Duo's but the same palpability and nearly the same dynamics together with organic timbre.
    I understand your preference to horn designs for bass sections but Duo Mezzo XD are very coherent with seamless crossovers thanks to adjustable DSP and powerful amps.
    Hi Marslo,

I too like the Genuin fs1 mkii - funny cos I was telling Ked today he needs to hear those at some point. I could happily own those based on Munich a couple of years back. I sat in there with the AF1 for about 2 hours listening to LP after LP. Was it linear and "uncoloured?" No - but it was immensely enjoyable. Threw out a humongous stage with great timbre.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! marslo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiophile Bill View Post
    Hi Marslo,

I too like the Genuin fs1 mkii - funny cos I was telling Ked today he needs to hear those at some point. I could happily own those based on Munich a couple of years back. I sat in there with the AF1 for about 2 hours listening to LP after LP. Was it linear and "uncoloured?" No - but it was immensely enjoyable. Threw out a humongous stage with great timbre.
    Hi Bill,

thanks for sharing,

Mariusz
    Aurender W20->Audio Aero La Fontaine/ Lampizator Pacific SE -> Ayon Crossfire III -> Avantgarde Acoustic Duo Mezzo XD
    Analog : Transrotor Fat Bob S with SME 5 , Shelter Harmony , Groove +SRX mk2

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    The Blumenhofer Clara Luna, with two horns mounted above the woofer cone, looks very interesting.
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Air Tight Opus-1; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse; line stage: VTL TL-7.5 Series III; amplifier: VTL Siegfried Series II; loudspeaker: Gryphon Pendragon; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Vintage Audio Nothing racks, Herzan TS-140/Taiko Tana for Io, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Torus AVR60BAL; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; acoustic treatment: ASC IsoThermal Tube Traps, Lumitex drapes

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    The Blumenhofer Clara Luna, with two horns mounted above the woofer cone, looks very interesting.
    Yes, right, looks like a strong competitor for Trios with basshorns or Acapellas sonically but with low WAF
    Also Tune Audio Animas looks better IMHO.
    Aurender W20->Audio Aero La Fontaine/ Lampizator Pacific SE -> Ayon Crossfire III -> Avantgarde Acoustic Duo Mezzo XD

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    I know that I prefer more than one horn driver covering 800 Hz and up (Gran Gioia).
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Air Tight Opus-1; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse; line stage: VTL TL-7.5 Series III; amplifier: VTL Siegfried Series II; loudspeaker: Gryphon Pendragon; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Vintage Audio Nothing racks, Herzan TS-140/Taiko Tana for Io, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Torus AVR60BAL; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; acoustic treatment: ASC IsoThermal Tube Traps, Lumitex drapes

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    I know that I prefer more than one horn driver covering 800 Hz and up (Gran Gioia).
    Me too, but Blumenhofer shows with less expensive models that the design is less important than the application - their 2 ways speakers sound very attractive to me( have heard FS1 and smaller FS3 ).
    Last edited by marslo; 02-22-2017 at 03:04 AM.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Been in some ongoing contact w Peter Reinders, designer of the PTP Solid 9 and 12 idlers
    He recommends the Schick 12" as an excellent match, and I know the Schick is a perfect fit for the Zu-modded Denon 103
    Now, prior to my current rim drive tt/air arm/Straingauge cart, I ran a Zu 103 on my Orbe/SME V which took the place of my Transfiguration Orpheus
    In almost all ways the Zu beat the Orpheus esp re rhythmic drive and bass extension
    Only falling behind it on delicacy and transparency
    It would be fascinating to revisit my beloved Zu 103 on a much more torquey, driven tt like the Solid 12, maybe thru the NAT Audio tubed phono stage
    Just thinking aloud

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234