Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: DMA-500 Anniversary Reference Monoblocks

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by awsmone View Post
    So Ack

given your experience with 400s and the DAC, were people right when they said the 400s were too bright and there was an issue
    Spectral amps are not bright. They can sound bright if not set up right. They have extended highs but don't sound bright
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] ack's Avatar
    So Ack

given your experience with 400s and the DAC, were people right when they said the 400s were too bright and there was an issue
    Exceptional treble resolution and smoothness? Yes. Bright? Utter nonsense. You may have read under my system's thread the reaction Al M and I had about hearing real metallic cymbal crashes that we FELT in front of us, with one of his CDs and my Berkeley. Anyone complaining, they are probably hearing issues upstream. For example, the treble differences between tape-sourced RR LPs vs digital-sourced are remarkable. The 500s are even more resolving in the treble, and everywhere else. with much tighter bass. Remember - when a designer can't get the treble right, he will attenuate it; this is the case with most solid state designs.
    Last edited by ack; 08-02-2018 at 08:27 AM.
    Analog: VPI Aries 3, custom isolation/Magnetically stabilized JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90/Modded & shielded Pass XP-25 Digital: Spectral 3000SL/Heavily modded Alpha DAC Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-500AR Speakers: Heavily modded MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods)/Modded REL Cabling: Shielded MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strips, Magnum Z-Traps; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon
    System link WBF

Member Sponsor [VIP/Donor]
    Quote Originally Posted by ack View Post
    Exceptional treble resolution and smoothness? Yes. Bright? Utter nonsense. You may have read under my system's thread the reaction Al M and I had about hearing real metallic cymbal crashes that we FELT in front of us, with one of his CDs and my Berkeley. Anyone complaining, they are probably hearing issues upstream.
    That's correct. When I first heard your system, it felt bright, because things were not quite sorted out. Yet the second time and all the times after, no, never bright. Once you solve all the other problems in the chain, the Spectral amps seem to be neutral -- in a good, musical way. Too often people mistake neutral for sterile, which is nonsense. I want neutral, not euphonic. Euphonic may be pleasant, but has nothing to do with real music (unamplified live music, that is).

The treble of the Spectral amps is as 'meaty on the bone' and smooth as that of excellent tube amps (which are also neutral, by the way). Being a tube guy, I cannot give higher praise. I am impressed by the treble each and every time I hear your system. There is none of potential SS thinness or brittleness. None.

I guess many systems are messed up and have problems somewhere. In that case, Spectral is trouble because to exposes the truth.

Glad we agree, Al. The comparison to tubes is right on, as the best of tubes - especially OTLs - that I have heard do treble so well, and it's in fact intoxicating. From my perspective the reality is, without saying too much right now, that the 500s have the treble clarity and completeness of these OTLs I've heard in the past (the name of which escapes me; it's been years); but I can't be too sure until I get my new panels in place. However, to get to this point, as I have posted under my system thread and as you just said, I had to a) go noise-hunting all around, to smooth out the treble among other things; b) find my DAC's best volume setting and further shield its output section. Details, but the amps ain't the perceived problem. Regarding the pairing with the SDR-4000SV that awsmone alluded to, I will go as far as to say this is pure analog, albeit not of the ultimate dynamic extension as other DACs/payers. I believe I said the same thing elsewhere, and the sonic qualities really come through with great tube recordings, like those by Chesky. Having said all this, I do also agree that every system has issues, and perhaps serious issues.
    Analog: VPI Aries 3, custom isolation/Magnetically stabilized JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90/Modded & shielded Pass XP-25 Digital: Spectral 3000SL/Heavily modded Alpha DAC Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-500AR Speakers: Heavily modded MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods)/Modded REL Cabling: Shielded MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strips, Magnum Z-Traps; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon
    System link WBF

Quote Originally Posted by ack View Post
    Glad we agree, Al. The comparison to tubes is right on, as the best of tubes - especially OTLs - that I have heard do treble so well, and it's in fact intoxicating. From my perspective the reality is, without saying too much right now, that the 500s have the treble clarity and completeness of these OTLs I've heard in the past (the name of which escapes me; it's been years); but I can't be too sure until I get my new panels in place. However, to get to this point, as I have posted under my system thread and as you just said, I had to a) go noise-hunting all around, to smooth out the treble among other things; b) find my DAC's best volume setting and further shield its output section. Details, but the amps ain't the perceived problem. Regarding the pairing with the SDR-4000SV that awsmone alluded to, I will go as far as to say this is pure analog, albeit not of the ultimate dynamic extension as other DACs/payers. I believe I said the same thing elsewhere, and the sonic qualities really come through with great tube recordings, like those by Chesky. Having said all this, I do also agree that every system has issues, and perhaps serious issues.
    thanks for clarifying, so was a system issue not a 400 issue ...got it
    "An audiophile is only done when they go to the great brick and mortar store in the sky"

[/B]

thanks for clarifying, so was a system issue not a 400 issue ...got it
    I don't know what you might have heard, but at the same time, I also understand that some just can't stand a lot of treble information. Nothing wrong with that either.

Given the opportunity, Genesis were demoing this week at the Thailand show, with what are likely the 500s - there are videos on their facebook page; really curious what the crowd's reaction was.
    System link WBF

Sure doesn't look like MIT cables being used in Thailand.......

Looks like you are right - adds another dimension
    System link WBF

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345