DMA-500 Anniversary Reference Monoblocks

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Looks like new Spectral flagship monoblocks are in the works. I was hoping to see the Phono Stage in 2017 but, curious as to what these will bring.

IMG_0331.jpg

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Nice! I was kind of expecting those, based on prior conversations with dealers... Frankly, I was hoping for two-chassis amps, but this will also do :D My guess is that the driver stage takes on those custom JFETs seen in the 30SV, and I am sure there are other changes as well.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Will they ship in anyone on this boards lifetime ?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Not sure why your image was chopped off, here's the whole thing

dma-500.jpg

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
You know what I love the most? That there is real product information (phono, amps) coming out of CES regarding Spectral - a first this year, if memory serves me right. Every time I would poke at dealers about Spectral news out of CES, they would be and still are evasive, and would only speak when Spectral officially announces new products with letters and faxes to dealers. This piece of news here is really great!

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Do u think they got rid of the hunk of heat sink on the rear or is the photo cropped??

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Don't know, but I have a feeling the photo is cropped. I've been discussing this DMA-500 with the local dealer for years, as some sort of "super-amp" they've been working on, and I expect it to be yet another huge milestone in their decorated history.

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom
feedback from european dealer/distributor "the DMA-500 is a special master piece project by Keith Johnson, it could still take a while ( up to 2 years) and the question is if there are some available for outside a circle of friends. "

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks; sounds like limited edition and by-invitation only; even better, didn't want to have to upgrade again.

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
That's great stuff, with unparalleled slew rates for an amplifier. I didn't want to steal their thunder, but as alluded to, these are typically referred to as the "SV amps"

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I had a little blurb on them under my system thread - superb detail, but need to bring them home for full eval because overall I did not like the sound coming out of the Magico M3 - probably nothing to do with the amps. I also know customers who have already received theirs.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I have seen them go for 25k

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Goodwin's just put up the following at http://goodwinshighend.com/_products/spectral/dma500.htm

When we first heard the production prototype in early July 2017 here at the store we were rather amazed. We thought that we would hear a subtle but noticeable improvement over previous Spectral power amp designs. However this was beyond what we expected. Shortly thereafter we received our production pair and we had a chance to really audition it even more thoroughly. After living with it for months we are very happy to report that in our opinion this is Spectral's first true "Super Amp".

Then in November 2017, Alan Goodwin visited the Spectral factory and had the opportunity to talk extensiverly one-on-one with both Keith Johnson (Chief Designer) and Richard Fryer (President and Project Manager) about what they had acheived with this new amp. Literally this represents a technological breakthrough. With single-sourced custom parts and a unique circuit designed around those custom parts, Spectral has taken the art/science of power amplification design to a whole new level. Never before have we ever heard such a pure and natural expression of our favorite music. There are many very technical aspects to the design, but really all you need to know is that this is a very special amplifier that you simply have to hear to believe! And so you are invited to visit the store, bring your favorite music and audition it for yourself. One listen and you too will understand why we are so excited about this new amplifier!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing