John storyk on room acoustics , glass aint bad , low freq .....

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks a lot for posting that. It is a really well done lecture. Other than one item mid-point, all the advice and explanation of principals is excellent.

If you don't mind, I am going to steal the link for ASR Forum article posting. :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Boy time flies. I was at Full Sail in 2000. I drew a lot of inspiration from John's design principles. It was he who inspired me to always seek out new materials and different applications for them. Doesn't he sound like Alan Alda? :D

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Amir , off course it only had 360 views , deserves a lot more , with what he says dont you agree ?
Remember he is a very expirienced veteran :D
Cool jack , did you do a course /study there ??.

Regarding glass i think he means stiff thick /double glass

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir , off course it only had 360 views , deserves a lot more , with what he says dont you agree ?
I was shocked to see the low view count too! A lot more people need to watch it but alas at 3 hours, it is more of a burden than most people want to go through.

And oh, between this post and one I created on ASR Forum it is up to 400+ view count. :)

The part I disagree with is the description of comb filtering and simulation thereof from side reflections. The simulation uses a delayed version of the same music and mixes it with itself. This seems like the same thing that is happening in a real room with reflection path taking longer but it is not perceptually the same. In a real room the left ear hears a longer delay than the right ear for example. And the face casts a shadow that filters the reflection that the right ear does not. Listening tests show that we actually prefer the "comb filtered" sound when it occurs in a room whereas we do not when it is created electronically as he has done. Please see the work of Clark in this article I wrote for widescreen Review Magazine a while back on perceptual (psychoacoustic) effects of reflections: http://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/perceptual-effects-of-room-reflections.13/

That said for people who work in studios, they do want dead sidewalls as to hear the results of their mix adjustments so what he is doing for them (building studios) is fine. It just isn't as applicable to majority of home listeners.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I am merely a messenger .

Regarding room acoustics , best would be i reckon to have a trapezium shaped room built ( best i ve heard ) and a sloping ceiling , to get those (first reflections ) reflected soundwaves well over your head , or past you horizontally, if the speakers are placed on the short side .
I Remember from my speakermeasurements that i had a huge suck out at 45 hz , well that seems to be my room mode then )( cancelling out of low freq waves ) , soundspeed 344(depends on room temp ) m/s : 45 hz = 7,6 m which is .... my room length :D, and another large one at 90 hz which is 344 : 90 is 3,8 meters , half the wave

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?6926-H-J-s-system-!/page16

When i get my clio system FW 01 working again im gonna measure reverberation time and post some graphs , gonna buy some acoustic elements , first try to diffuse( or absorb ) the first reflection points horizontally and built a " cloud " on an angle on the ceiling at the vertical reflection point.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Remember he is a very expirienced veteran :D
Cool jack , did you do a course /study there ??.

Regarding glass i think he means stiff thick /double glass

Yup. It was a small school back then. It's a full blown university now. It's even got it's own backlot.

Recording Engineering, Advanced Recording, Post Production for Film and TV, DAW and MIDI and Design & Construction of Critical Listening Environments.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I was shocked to see the low view count too! A lot more people need to watch it but alas at 3 hours, it is more of a burden than most people want to go through.

And oh, between this post and one I created on ASR Forum it is up to 400+ view count. :)

The part I disagree with is the description of comb filtering and simulation thereof from side reflections. The simulation uses a delayed version of the same music and mixes it with itself. This seems like the same thing that is happening in a real room with reflection path taking longer but it is not perceptually the same. In a real room the left ear hears a longer delay than the right ear for example. And the face casts a shadow that filters the reflection that the right ear does not. Listening tests show that we actually prefer the "comb filtered" sound when it occurs in a room whereas we do not when it is created electronically as he has done. Please see the work of Clark in this article I wrote for widescreen Review Magazine a while back on perceptual (psychoacoustic) effects of reflections: http://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/perceptual-effects-of-room-reflections.13/

That said for people who work in studios, they do want dead sidewalls as to hear the results of their mix adjustments so what he is doing for them (building studios) is fine. It just isn't as applicable to majority of home listeners.

That was just for quick demo purposes for freshmen. The course proper, goes into ITD in much deeper detail.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing