A Pilgrimage to Ground ZERO

MatthewC

Aug 27, 2014
What cart have you got on your SAT Matthew? My SAT came with an armboard for the AF1 from Marc so I'll be using that. My Ti board is made for an Elite.

I am using Koetsu Blue Lace with diamond cantilever at the moment.

If you have the ti board for the elite already, I supect you may find the SAT with aluminum board a little dark in comparison.

As to the question why not get a stainless upper platter instead of ti plus the tungsten, extrapolating from my previous experience with Micro SX8000-2, i don't think the two would be even close. Ti platter is much more lively and warmer. Really one will have to hear it. Not sure if you have tried it, but actually just replacing the headshell screws with titanium ones will give you a taste of it. The ti platter just gives a bigger effect. BTW the ti screws from Dietrich of Acoustical Systems for some reasons sounds much better than other generic ti headshell screws i tried. Not sure if it is the alloy or something else... Also those with DLC coating can be very good.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
today I had the chance to listen to an Airforce one , pimped with Airforce 0 parts.

The main difference to the standard Airforce 1 was the drive unit, which was with airbearing and air platter, when I understood Nishikawa correctly.

The second difference was a Tungsten Top Platter and Record Weight.

The performance was great, but there was no chance to listen to the different parts one after the other to unterstand the level change in performance in detail.

I can recommend to everybody visiting the Munich show to go to this demo, great music and sound.

Juergen

MatthewC

Aug 27, 2014
Any photos? :)

Saw a cell-phone photo of the press release, and look like the AF1P w/ the Zero "engine" still fits on the Artesanian rack?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I am struggling to load the pictures up, my mobile does not like....

I will try again, but I can assure , the AF0 engine will fit the Artesanian Rack togethet with an AF1 as well .

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
IMG_3286.JPG
IMG_3298.JPG
IMG_3299.JPG

here you can see the Tungsten upgrade of the platter and the new AF 0 Engine!

MatthewC

Aug 27, 2014
Thanks for the photos!

From the first photo it does look like there was an extra box in the rack. Am guessing it is a combined power supply/pump/condenser for the motor?

Wish I was there!

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I thought as well that its the automatic self leveling pump for the air bladders in the 3 feet

Oops you right, it is the pump with sensors in the top shelf here, I was thinking of their setup at the LA Show where they that pump on the bottom shelf and the one for the motor on the top shelf.

david

MatthewC

Aug 27, 2014
Any further news on AF Zero? A friend told me it's going to take a while longer yet as the original 16 inch platter precludes arms like SAT to be mounted, potentially reducing overall sound quality. Some re-design may be required?

Or maybe Marc Gomez can made a new arm to go with the gigantic AF Zero?

Meanwhile, the AF Zero motor and platter upgrade kit should be made avaiable to the mere motal AF1 owners :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'll be at the Tokyo show at the end of the month. I'll ask :)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Meanwhile, the AF Zero motor and platter upgrade kit should be made avaiable to the mere motal AF1 owners :)

At the LAAS this past June Nishikawa San told me that there will me there might be a limited number of tungsten platters and AF Zero motors for certain AF Premium users

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
At the LAAS this past June Nishikawa San told me that there will me there might be a limited number of tungsten platters and AF Zero motors for certain AF Premium users

Does "upgrade" normally mean trading in the old motor for the new one or buy new and throw away the old.

Kind regards,
Tang

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Does "upgrade" normally mean trading in the old motor for the new one or buy new and throw away the old.

Kind regards,
Tang

Can't say for sure but my bet is the latter as the original AF1 motor can't drive this large tungsten platter

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Matthew

The official decision of TechDAS is that the motor and tungsten platter will be made available only for the AF0. They hope to introduce the AF0 in Munich next year and start shipping by the end of 2018. That gives a certain guy who's first name starts with J and last name with D, who isn't me, time to save up his centavos. (Yes I know you're reading this JD LOL)

MatthewC

Aug 27, 2014
Thanks Jack. The AF Zero is definitely out of my league so it is a relief! Too bad won't be able to get my paws on the motor and platter but i guess i have my limits hehe

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks Jack. The AF Zero is definitely out of my league so it is a relief! Too bad won't be able to get my paws on the motor and platter but i guess i have my limits hehe

You and me both :D

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Three times the price of Premium. One must be wealthy and really into turntable.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing