Anyone tried this?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Guys,

I think these clamps work best with non suspended designs. Indeed, the Dalby is only recommended this way (see website).

Best,

Bill

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Do you know why they are recommended for non suspended designs?

Well they are 200/350 Gms weight--bearing wear? with the more movement probably with the more sensitive suspension/footfalls/environment/etc could cause long term problems?

I've "heard" the Dalby and agree with SammyT it is the "best"--if that can be called a logical decision in the context of this discussion ;)

BruceD

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
With the really massive weight of some platters, I doubt 200-350 grams for a center weight will affect bearing life.

I have preferred circumferential rings to the center spindle weights.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Many moons ago I used this one; I paid $30 for it, it is $50 today, and it weighs 1.3 lbs / 600g (imported from Japan):
https://www.turntablelab.com/products/audio-technica-at618-disc-stabilizer
[I still have it, along with three TTs, bunch of LPs and 45s, few carts, bunch of tools of the trade...since the 60s and till about the mid 00s...say forty years.]

I am no expert on LP Disc Record Stabilizer Clamp Weight, and I couldn't tell if it was sounding different with and without it, but it seems to help for warped records. Anyway, I was using it for many many years and roughly 95% of the time. And $30 was 100 times less that $3,000

Like I said, I'm no expert and my TT @ the time was a very very modest one, less than $600

Say I buy a new TT tomorrow morning, for Christmas, and for roughly between $5,000 and $20,000, then I would seriously investigate on some of the "best" record clamps out there, and I would even probably make my own from some of my favorite wood and marble material. ...Plus some metals with beneficial properties...anti magnetism, etc.
I like making stuff like that (I went to Art school and I excelled @ precision/geometric/3-dimensional designs, one of the tops in my class).

It's fun to be in our comfort zone, to feel good, to believe in good, to be good and to live in goodness with other good people around.
The sounds we hear are different for each person, and the sound analysis we perform; testing, hearing, listening, measuring, ...are all part of having fun in discovering.
It is when we have no limits, no prejudices, no pricing ceiling, no nothing but only free open mind and ears to the world that we can expand our musical horizons.

It's easy to not abide by those rules and get trapped along the way; I prefer to be open to the great challenges we face almost everyday.

I checked and read Mike's link above; http://audioexotics.vanillaforums.c...ference-record-weight-finally-to-arrive-today
It's interesting...thx for reading.

P.S. Someday I might take some pictures of the record mats I made myself...various material and thickness...including cork.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing